• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmorestance

Dec 2, 2013
    Hey everyone,
    I would like to add an AK to my collection but I know they are illegal in Maryland. Is there a way to purchase one whether it be out of state or a variant of the AK platform that can be legally purchased? A friend of mine bought one when in West Virginia and was able to bring it back legally.
    If not, its not a big deal. I will stick with getting an HBar AR. Or maybe there is an Hbar AR chambered in 7.62 x 39 ?
    Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

thai

May 8, 2013
    The AK that your friend purchased, was it an sbr rifle? Or perhaps a pistol as mentioned. The standard 16+" rifle is banned since SB281 10/13. When did he transfer to Maryland?

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX

Attachments

• lowpost.jpg
      lowpost.jpg
      25.6 KB · Views: 6,505

bmorestance

Dec 2, 2013
    The AK that your friend purchased, was it an sbr rifle? Or perhaps a pistol as mentioned. The standard 16+" rifle is banned since SB281 10/13. When did he transfer to Maryland?

Thanks for your response.
    It is not a short barrel.
    He purchased cash and carry from WV.
    Did paperwork there and brought it home.
    Ill have to get the exact model but it looks like an ak but maybe an sks...
    but when i look those up they look a lot different.

So you can purchase short barrel ak pistols? I did not know this.
    Thanks!

Whitey

Collector and involved.
    Apr 5, 2014
    Central MD
    Thanks for your response.
    It is not a short barrel.
    He purchased cash and carry from WV.
    Did paperwork there and brought it home.
    Ill have to get the exact model but it looks like an ak but maybe an sks...
    but when i look those up they look a lot different.

So you can purchase short barrel ak pistols? I did not know this.
    Thanks!

AK rifles are banned. AK pistols are submitted to the registry and either approved or denied. Then the Maryland state police determined that SBRs are handguns. MD makes no sense. SMH. :sad20:

bmorestance

Dec 2, 2013
    Just the fact that you joined two years ago and that was your first post.

I guess it shouldn't surprise me though. I didn't start posting until almost 2 years after I joined as well. :D

Haha Gotcha! Well i did purchase my first handgun and ar two years ago.
    Just looking for info. So now I am ready to purchase another before obama
    screws us. Or should I not say something like that? :-/

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    AK rifles are banned. AK pistols are submitted to the registry and either approved or denied. Then the Maryland state police determined that SBRs are handguns. MD makes no sense. SMH. :sad20:

SBRs do not have to be submitted to the handgun roster as of Oct 1.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    An SKS is pretty different (and different looking) from an AK.

A Vz58 looks much like an AK externally, but is totally different internally.

OR the WV FFL may have been totally mistaken, and sold your friend somthing he shouldn't have.

Yes, there are such things as 7.62x39 AR's . The weak link is the magazines.

If you are looking for a basic 7.62x39 rifle, SKS remain a good choice. We miss the days when they were $79 , but still a decent choice today.

bmorestance

Dec 2, 2013

Thats what I thought but there must be a way around it?
    Example.. a look alike, instead of a "ak47" its a "vz58" (just looked these up and i cant find anyone that has one without a folding stock).
    Maybe then the state police dont see it on the ban list and isnt an ak per-say.

I dont know how gun shops work out of state, but since rifles are cash and carry, my friend went to a shop in wv, purchased an ak type rifle and came home with it. Thats why i think its something with the model. I forgot what he said it was. But it is the same platform.

Also, just assuming.. if i buy an ak type pistol with 10 rnd mag, you would think that would be good to go since its a pistol and not called "ak47"... Any thoughts?

Thanks so much :-)

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Thats what I thought but there must be a way around it?
    Example.. a look alike, instead of a "ak47" its a "vz58" (just looked these up and i cant find anyone that has one without a folding stock).
    Maybe then the state police dont see it on the ban list and isnt an ak per-say.

I dont know how gun shops work out of state, but since rifles are cash and carry, my friend went to a shop in wv, purchased an ak type rifle and came home with it. Thats why i think its something with the model. I forgot what he said it was. But it is the same platform.

Also, just assuming.. if i buy an ak type pistol with 10 rnd mag, you would think that would be good to go since its a pistol and not called "ak47"... Any thoughts?

Thanks so much :-)

Would it be legal? Yes but you'd need your HQL to purchase it and a trash can large enough to store it in.

Whitey

Collector and involved.
    Apr 5, 2014
    Central MD
    AK pistols, or any pistol, require an HQL, and any pistol must go through a dealer of your home state.

The VZ58 or the VZ2008 are only considered a long gun, therefore, you may buy it out of state and keep all the the nice standard capacity mags that come with it.
    Contact Hog Sniper on this board. He's in southern Hanover, PA.

Remember that MD laws make no sense.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll

Per federal law, FFL dealers selling to out-of-state residents must abide by the laws of both states, meaning the WV FFL had to follow WV law and MD law when selling to your buddy.

If your buddy bought a banned rifle, then both the FFL and your buddy committed felonies. Most likely, your buddy bought a VZ58. On the off chance he bought a banned rifle, he should return it immediately.

For MD law, it doesn't matter if the manufacturer calls the rifle an "AK47" or something else. What matters is whether or not the internal parts are the same as an AK47. If the internal parts are the same, it's banned per FSA2013.

bmorestance

Dec 2, 2013

OR the WV FFL may have been totally mistaken, and sold your friend somthing he shouldn't have.

If you are looking for a basic 7.62x39 rifle, SKS remain a good choice. We miss the days when they were $79 , but still a decent choice today.

Thanks. The SKS is very different looking.
    He was getting buddy buddy with the guy so its possible it was
    under the table deal.
    Oh well. If im out of luck it is what it is. I will go ahead and purchase something else.

What is this thing about SBR's as of Oct 1? I will look that up.
    I just read it and it makes no sense to me. It contradicts itself by saying...
    a SBR is under 16", so if you need a 29" total long rifle, SBR's are say 26" so that would be strike one. Then most of the rifles I see have flash supressors on them. That would be strike 2. So that tells me unless you find a SBR at 29" (is that common?) you cant purchase one.

All in all theres no need to turn in paperwork because you still cant get one anyway. lol

bmorestance

Dec 2, 2013
    Per federal law, FFL dealers selling to out-of-state residents must abide by the laws of both states, meaning the WV FFL had to follow WV law and MD law when selling to your buddy.

If your buddy bought a banned rifle, then both the FFL and your buddy committed felonies. Most likely, your buddy bought a VZ58. On the off chance he bought a banned rifle, he should return it immediately.

For MD law, it doesn't matter if the manufacturer calls the rifle an "AK47" or something else. What matters is whether or not the internal parts are the same as an AK47. If the internal parts are the same, it's banned per FSA2013.

That explains the question to ask. The internal parts.
    Thank you for explaining. I will let you know what he did get.

bmorestance

Dec 2, 2013
    AK pistols, or any pistol, require an HQL, and any pistol must go through a dealer of your home state.

The VZ58 or the VZ2008 are only considered a long gun, therefore, you may buy it out of state and keep all the the nice standard capacity mags that come with it.
    Contact Hog Sniper on this board. He's in southern Hanover, PA.

Remember that MD laws make no sense.

Wow. See that's what I am thought. But wasn't sure.
    Thanks for that bro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom