• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    6.5 minimum power is a bit much for most uses.

But nice scope, and Vortex has the best warranty around. Lifetime, no questions asked, transferable.

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    Is this consider a great deal? I missed the Black Friday swfa an the vortex diamondback 4-16x40 deal. Didn't want to get it till I get my hands on the Ruger precision rifle

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    I have this scope on my 30-06 with the mil dot and I think it's fantastic.

Build quality and optics are far better than the M-223 I had. Light transmission is comparable with maybe a slight edge to Nikon.

Going to be a lot of magnification for an AR but will be great 75 yards +

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    Is this consider a great deal? I missed the Black Friday swfa an the vortex diamondback 4-16x40 deal. Didn't want to get it till I get my hands on the Ruger precision rifle

I think it's a really good deal. They haven't been much cheaper that I remember. I bought mine about 4-5 years ago for $299 when they were phasing out a reticle. It is a better scope than the Diamondback IMO.

The top rifle is a 700 with the VV, the AR has a Weaver v24. I prefer the VV. The viper will only be parallax free down to 50 yards. The V24 much closer, like 10. The v24 gets dark and very eye position sensitive above 20. But I like the v24 very much knowing it's limitations.

The viper is clear and forgiving. And repeats very well. Not sure if I just got an excellent one, and I never boxed it, but it is right on with every adjustment. The biggest things I like about my viper are clarity and repeatability.

53698FBF-D066-4F1C-A33A-A07B7301279E_zpspx1xz5fb.jpg

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    I think it's a really good deal. They haven't been much cheaper that I remember. I bought mine about 4-5 years ago for $299 when they were phasing out a reticle. It is a better scope than the Diamondback IMO.

The top rifle is a 700 with the VV, the AR has a Weaver v24. I prefer the VV. The viper will only be parallax free down to 50 yards. The V24 much closer, like 10. The v24 gets dark and very eye position sensitive above 20. But I like the v24 very much knowing it's limitations.

The viper is clear and forgiving. And repeats very well. Not sure if I just got an excellent one, and I never boxed it, but it is right on with every adjustment. The biggest things I like about my viper are clarity and repeatability.

53698FBF-D066-4F1C-A33A-A07B7301279E_zpspx1xz5fb.jpg

Thanks for the info. I might grab that but my intention to spend a scope was around $250 since the diamondback was on sale for $209 and the Swfa 16x fixed for $250 w/ mount. But I guess if $70 more for a better quality glass, it's worth and I think my future wife, RPR will love it lol

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    Got it. Saw it was an option for $29.99. It's how crazy that the $135 crossfire comes with one.

I bought one but pretty much always leave it off. Sun has never been a problem for me, even on mid-day hunts without a cloud in the sky.

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    Thanks for the info. I might grab that but my intention to spend a scope was around $250 since the diamondback was on sale for $209 and the Swfa 16x fixed for $250 w/ mount. But I guess if $70 more for a better quality glass, it's worth and I think my future wife, RPR will love it lol

A SS for $250? I like that price too.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    As I as searching, saw a few posts that this viper model was selling for $279 couple years ago because they tried to phase out a reticle, can anyone confirm if this is the same one? I mean the price is all over the place. One site I found 6.5-20x44 for $329 and the same model but 6.5-20x50 sells for like 500? That kind of implies me that the 44 was an old model.

Anyhow, I don't care if it's old, as long as it's good and plus the vip warranty.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Why so? Don't we usually shoot the rifles at least 100 or more? If so, I find it no problem.

Some do, some don't, but unless you are just shooting targets, without a lot of targets, it may be fine, but the field of view is fairly small.

And if you ever try to go hunting, that is way too much power for picking up the game.

And higher power means less light in low light conditions, making it harder to see targets, especially those without a LOT of contrast.

IMO, many people over scope their rifles. They seem to think that more power will make them shoot better.

And remember, the CMP guys shoot to 600 yards with iron sights. :)

Even my 6-24x Viper PST is a bit small FOV at 100. But that rifle is seldom shot at 100 yards, normally 300 to 1200 yards.

Midway BSA scope is a great scope for the price. It is basically the same scope sold as a Mueller and Primary Arms. BSA name, but NOT a BSA scope. I have one on my rimfire trainer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom