• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noddaz

bonehead
    Jan 9, 2014
    Arnold
    My opinion counts for not much. But I would take the SKS. My theory is the SKS could put up with more abuse long term. Just a theory.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    I don't have an M1 carbine, but it's on my list of wants. You can all send me those unloved M1 carbines you don't want or need.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    SKS is a rifle, the M1 Carbine was designed as a defensive weapon that would be easier to train soldiers and Marines to shoot than the 1911. I'd take the SKS. No question.

My dad was a mortarman in WWII. He was issued an M1 Carbine because of the weight he'd be required to carry. He picked up a Garand at his earliest opportunity and carried that throughout Europe. He thought less of the M1 Carbine as he did the officers carrying a 1911 pistol. He said when the SHTF, everyone needs as much firepower as they can get.

Chazp89

Sep 1, 2017
    Given that the only guarantee in a shtf scenario is uncertainty, I would grab the sks for reasons everyone already discussed. The only way I would choose the m1 is if I had a secure location I could get to in a reasonable amount of time where I already have other weapons/more amo and supplies. The carbine would be more pleasant to carry and you could have more ammunition for the same weight but I just don’t think it would be wise to rely on a gun with limited ammo availability when you run a good chance of finding 7.62x39 even in a shtf situation

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    My dad was a mortarman in WWII. He was issued an M1 Carbine because of the weight he'd be required to carry. He picked up a Garand at his earliest opportunity and carried that throughout Europe. He thought less of the M1 Carbine as he did the officers carrying a 1911 pistol. He said when the SHTF, everyone needs as much firepower as they can get.

Lol, I posted earlier about my dad, he was the opposite of yours. He traded his M-14 for a M2 in Vietnam. I kinda agree with your dad though, if I was in that situation I’d want something with more power as well. My dad saw combat, and said he liked the small size,and light weight of the M2. When I asked him about the M-16, he acted as that wasn’t an option, as he didn’t like “those things”

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I own both. For unknown the SKS definitely has the power advantage over the carbine and it would be my choice for unknown trail carry. If it came to known combat, I'd carry my carbine because its smaller and lighter making it easier to shoot offhand and easier to maneuver in close spaces.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    The M1 carbine shoots pistol ammo, it took no less than 5 shots to go through a windshield on an old car in the woods.
    There's just no comparison, not to mention ammo cost, availability, and accuracy. SKS all the way, folding bayonet FTW.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I am going to be the contrarian and say get the M1 carbine. M1 carbine is light and handy. An SKS is bulky. That being said, they are like apples and oranges and each has its place.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    As much as I hate to say it...the SKS being a ComBloc weapon...I'd choose it due to the more effective caliber. I really wouldn't hesitate to choose either if they were the only choices but effectiveness makes the difference.

My uncle who landed in the first wave on Omaha Beach told me some years ago he dumped his M1 Carbine as soon as he could after hitting a German solider three times and didn't stop him...he said he picked up an '03 and carried that until be was seriously wounded outside of St. Lo when a mortar round landed next to him and in his words "Said hello". My uncle's thoughts about the German soldier were "I hit that sumbitch three times and I know he must still be running!"

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    SKS, without a doubt, much more powerful round and has the benefit of being available in many configurations that lend itself to a variety of situations. The short 16"barreled cowboy companion version is very handy and quick to point, it isn't really any bigger than the M1 Carbine. It can also be converted into one hell of a little bullpup rifle which is very SHTF friendly or it fly under the radar in its standard configuration. The SKS's that accept the AK mags are another excellent option for SHTF and using a 10 round mag is a good way to stay under the radar, with a bunch of 30 round mags ready to go (for those in free states or lucky enough to still have them). The fact that they take stripper clips is also a positive aspect to consider. I don't recall a fast reloading mechanism for the M1 Carbine.

Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    Hypothetical SHTF scenario.

So I have to be able to defend myself at all ranges and maybe even hunt game to survive.
    I would pass on the pistol cartridge M1 carbine.

SKS is the best choice hands down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom