• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ukrainian might

Feb 26, 2021
    Just something I noticed in my short time as a gun guy, I don't see many Ross rifles in my travel to different stores. We're they rarely imported or am I just not seeing them?

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    There's a couple around, quite a few were imported but not that many were made overall compared to many other rifles of the era. A lot of Ross rifles are sporterized as well, or were built specifically as sporters for competition shooting (which they excel at). The best place to find a Ross is honestly a large auction or a lucky strike.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Canada sold approx. 20k of the MKII 5 Star version to the US as emergency training rifles. This is the most commonly found version in the US. The hard part is to find one that hasn't been sporterized as they sold for $3 when released to the public and were quite accurate rifles, perfect for a cheap hunting rifle project.
    The MKIII is considerably more difficult to find. Ross collectors like me tend to hoard them. They were never officially exported to the US, you occasionally find examples that made their way across the razor wire.
    Ross commercial rifles, the .280 Ross chambered M10, the .22 training rifle or the crazy rare Military Match rifles, can also be difficult to find. Especially the latter two. The M10 hunting rifles pop up on a regular basis but that .280 cartridge is expensive to reload due to the cost of dies. Ross did build the R10 which is a sporterized version of the MKIII, chambered in .303 but you almost never see them. I've only seen 1 or 2 genuine examples sell online in my lifetime, just like the Military Match rifles.

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Canada sold approx. 20k of the MKII 5 Star version to the US as emergency training rifles.

Believe it or not the primary reason they were brought into the US was not for training. Although, some did find themselves in training roles.

The New York Guard actually purchased these rifles for guarding communication lines. They said "we have men readily trained with rifles, we just have no rifles." They requested the US government either allow them to bring in the rifles tax free or provide them rifles. The US government allowed them to be brought in tax or duty free. I can't remember the specific terminology. If you see a US surcharged marked NY on the buttstock, very good chance it's for the purpose referenced in the paperwork.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I have a Ross Mark II that seems to be complete minus a small piece of handguard stock between the breech and rear sight. Normally, I wouldn't buy something missing a piece like that, but I haven't seen one since that day. When I bought mine, the dealer had a second Mark II that had been sporterized for like $400-450.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I have a Ross Mark II that seems to be complete minus a small piece of handguard stock between the breech and rear sight. Normally, I wouldn't buy something missing a piece like that, but I haven't seen one since that day. When I bought mine, the dealer had a second Mark II that had been sporterized for like $400-450.

Yeah, I've never seen that piece of furniture offered for sale anywhere, anytime in the last 3 decades. It would be the devil to repop too, a complicated profile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom