• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -I've a habit of grabbing hard to find accessories when they can be had on the cheap, even if I don't own the firearm they're designed for (yet). That's what happened two years ago at Redding in Gettysburg. I was there for an M1 carbine but saw a nice Roth Steyr 1907 holster loaded with Steyr Hahn strippers and ammo in with the smalls. Went for and got it for a really good price. Then the search started for a German issue Steyr Hahn, which was the last pistol to live in this holster.
    -Fast forward two years and still no German S-H. Then up pops a listing for a Jo-Lo-Ar in rare .380 in a tiny rural VA auction. The odd Spanish pistol is in pretty rough shape with little finish left so I'm not overly enthused. But in the same auction photo is a nice looking Roth Steyr 1907. At this time I'm plowing as much money as I can into a new car kitty, looking to replace my old SAABaru. So I'm initially thinking this is gonna cost way more than I want to spend right now. RS 1907s normally hammer well above $1K with the excellent examples hitting $2-3K.
    -But you can't win if you don't play. So I put in a throw-away absentee bid of $650 and figure I'll never hear from the auction house. Up comes auction day and I'm in Fallston at a car dealership dropping off my old SAABaru as a trade-in on a new GTI. I'm sitting in the new car when the phone rings and I see a VA number pop up. No way! Yup, got it for $5 below my max bid! Roughly half of what one of these normally sell for.
    -She showed up today and it's in better condition than the weak auction photos showed. Austrian unit marked ID disc, Steyr manufacturer. A beeeg pistol for an 8mm cartridge that's anything but a powerhouse. Cocking the action is stiff as is the DA trigger. No manual safety. Fills the hands nicely, loads the internal magazine via stripper clip. That stripper is unique to the 1907 and they're crazy expensive when you can find them (we're talking $250 range per clip). Fiocchi ammo is out there for these. Just gotta find that rare stripper.

Attachments

• IMGP9230.JPG
      IMGP9230.JPG
      55.5 KB · Views: 1,183
    • IMGP9231.JPG
      IMGP9231.JPG
      63.5 KB · Views: 1,194
    • IMGP9232.JPG
      IMGP9232.JPG
      38.5 KB · Views: 1,200
    • IMGP9233.JPG
      IMGP9233.JPG
      57.3 KB · Views: 1,176
    • IMGP9234.JPG
      IMGP9234.JPG
      19.8 KB · Views: 1,168
    • IMGP9235.JPG
      IMGP9235.JPG
      50.6 KB · Views: 1,188
    • IMGP9236.JPG
      IMGP9236.JPG
      57.3 KB · Views: 1,181
    • IMGP9237.JPG
      IMGP9237.JPG
      76.4 KB · Views: 1,165

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Did a quick field strip last night and found the source of the stiff action: dried lube/grease. After a quick cleaning to remove the fouled lube and application of some Breakfree it's now muuuuch easier to cock.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Very cool. Neat to see Ian putting one to work, too. At $250 per clip, it might be cost effective to have a machine shop fabricate some, especially if you could come up with (or borrow) one as a pattern.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Very cool. Neat to see Ian putting one to work, too. At $250 per clip, it might be cost effective to have a machine shop fabricate some, especially if you could come up with (or borrow) one as a pattern.

If you've never seen one of these they are probably the most complicated stripper clip ever built. It's a three part assembly with a thumb piece to push down on instead of pushing on the top round. I think that has contributed to not seeing anyone produce a repop up to now. Lord knows there are enough folk out there looking for one so the demand certainly exists.

Attachments

• roth stripper 1.jpg
      roth stripper 1.jpg
      65.5 KB · Views: 299
    • roth stripper 2.jpg
      roth stripper 2.jpg
      8.9 KB · Views: 288
    • roth stripper 3.jpg
      roth stripper 3.jpg
      6.4 KB · Views: 291

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Wow, thanks for sharing. You're only lucky because you're so knowledgeable and prepared.

Thanks. Louis Pasteur is credited with the quote " Fortune favors the prepared mind" but I love Edna Mode from the Incredibles who paraphrased Pasteur with "Luck favors the prepared". Equal parts luck and knowledge have served me well over the years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom