• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    That may be, and the gun may look different in person, but from what I can see in the photos, the finish that's on it appears to be semi-gloss polyurethane, rather than old-school varnish. Also, you'll notice that there's a darker patina toward the grain ends of the the furniture, and the wood is not very patinated at all when you get away from those ends. Usually, an unmolested finish and the wood beneath it darkens pretty evenly.

In the last two photos it looks like the finish that's on it now has been flowed into old scars. Again, it's hard to be certain from photos, but that's how it looks. When a scar or scrape happens to the original finish, you don't get the flowed-in appearance that seems to be there. Of course, since there are so few of those showing on your stock, it's tough to tell for sure, but you should be able to look specifically for that when you examine the rifle ... is that finish going into the scar on the wood, or is the scar going into the finish?

Again, it's hard to tell for sure from photos, and that's all we have to work with, but what you showed really looks like someone stripped that stock, probably sanded it a bit, and then put on a couple of coats of modern semi-gloss finish. You'll have to make that determination, though. You're the one who can hold the gun in your hands and examine it.

I understand and I'm not defending this one way or another. The pictures were taken with my iPhone inside my home. The rifle does look different in "real life". It basically looks unissued, and there are very few marks on the stock. Either way, I'm just going to leave it as is and enjoy shooting it. It is a nice looking rifle that I got at a cheap price ($375). I'm not too worried about whether the varnish does or doesn't detract from its value, etc.

Thanks for your insight.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Local Pawn Shop find
    $20 replacement stock for the Royal Tiger $199 cracked stock special from last year. My crack repair was not holding up and I have not shot it since the fall. I will Macodoc rejuvenate this one
    Hope to make Noka proud

Attachments

• image-267078356.jpg
      image-267078356.jpg
      51.5 KB · Views: 307
    • image-841394486.jpg
      image-841394486.jpg
      75.6 KB · Views: 303

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    Here are my photos of the new/unissued K31's that were available from Samco. I bought a Beech and a Walnut. The Beech are still available. http://www.samcoglobal.com/1-k31.html

The Walnut is dated 1944 and the Beech is dated 1949. They are in great shape for being 65+ years old.

i-q4NKGC7-L.jpg

i-83jSkkt-L.jpg

a shot with my recently acquired Pioneer bayonet.

i-stMvpxc-L.jpg

They do have some storage and handling marks, but overall they look brand new.

i-9zSWGRp-L.jpg

i-kZVTH42-L.jpg

Most K31's you find will have water damage at the buttstock. These are nice and clean.

i-WbsxbTm-L.jpg

i-BpvcGDC-L.jpg

A small import mark at the end of the barrel.

i-kD98wMC-L.jpg

An example of the marks from storage and the sling.

i-T4ZsGng-L.jpg

i-b2q4L56-L.jpg

i-3M4czVr-L.jpg

i-dzqtRj5-L.jpg

After getting these two yesterday, I ended up ordering 2 more of the Beech. I guess I collect these like some people collect Mosins :)

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I would be tempted to keep that second one as a safe queen. There are plenty of rough k31's to shoot. That's awesome you got two almost pristine rifles. I still have 0 k31's...

nobis1

Aug 5, 2012
    Here are my photos of the new/unissued K31's that were available from Samco. I bought a Beech and a Walnut. The Beech are still available. http://www.samcoglobal.com/1-k31.html

The Walnut is dated 1944 and the Beech is dated 1949. They are in great shape for being 65+ years old.

i-q4NKGC7-L.jpg

i-83jSkkt-L.jpg

i-stMvpxc-L.jpg

i-9zSWGRp-L.jpg

i-kZVTH42-L.jpg

Most K31's you find will have water damage at the buttstock. These are nice and clean.

i-WbsxbTm-L.jpg

i-BpvcGDC-L.jpg

i-kD98wMC-L.jpg

i-T4ZsGng-L.jpg

i-b2q4L56-L.jpg

i-3M4czVr-L.jpg

i-dzqtRj5-L.jpg

After getting these two yesterday, I ended up ordering 2 more of the Beech. I guess I collect these like some people collect Mosins :)

Those are beautiful. The beech looks exactly like mine, basically brand new. I too am tempted to order more, but the price tag makes it difficult to justify. Not sure about you, but I ain't shooting mine. They are safe queens. I will shoot my other ones and call it a day.

One final thing, how do you upload such nice photos? The size restrictions on this site make it really hard to upload crisp pictures like you have.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Those are beautiful. The beech looks exactly like mine, basically brand new. I too am tempted to order more, but the price tag makes it difficult to justify. Not sure about you, but I ain't shooting mine. They are safe queens. I will shoot my other ones and call it a day.

One final thing, how do you upload such nice photos? The size restrictions on this site make it really hard to upload crisp pictures like you have.

I'd love to pick up one too, but they're priced just a little too high for me. Maybe I'll cross paths with one in a few years for a little less.

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester

I will not be shooting these. I have a couple of K31's that are in good condition that are my shooters.

I don't upload the photos to the site. I host my them on my own server and then use the img tag to link to the remote photos.

nobis1

Aug 5, 2012
    I'd love to pick up one too, but they're priced just a little too high for me. Maybe I'll cross paths with one in a few years for a little less.

That is the thing. I am not so sure these will be cheaper. There is a limited supply in this condition that will only get more limited because some people will use them and the condition will no longer be unissued.

Simpson Ltd gets really nice condition ones that have been rearsenaled and they sell for $400 or more. I bought a beautiful walnut K31 from them that was a lighter walnut with very few nicks/dents and about 90-95% original bluing for $500 a while back. When compared to these, it is nice, but not nearly as nice as these rifles. These are pristine. That, and on the Swiss Rifle Boards Guisan says that actual new K31's in the same condition cost around $1800 to $1900 a pop.

I am really considering ordering another one.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    That is the thing. I am not so sure these will be cheaper. There is a limited supply in this condition that will only get more limited because some people will use them and the condition will no longer be unissued.

Simpson Ltd gets really nice condition ones that have been rearsenaled and they sell for $400 or more. I bought a beautiful walnut K31 from them that was a lighter walnut with very few nicks/dents and about 90-95% original bluing for $500 a while back. When compared to these, it is nice, but not nearly as nice as these rifles. These are pristine. That, and on the Swiss Rifle Boards Guisan says that actual new K31's in the same condition cost around $1800 to $1900 a pop.

I am really considering ordering another one.

K31s are still made currently?? If so, for $1,800+ they probably have upgraded Hammerli match barrels and all match grade components or something.

You may be correct about them never being cheaper, but I'm happy rolling the dice since I already have several nice K31s that were much less. Nobody buying these at $600 + shipping is going to shoot them since even one round down the pipe would probably knock $100 off the value, so they are likely to remain in pristine condition. I'm not seeing these as investments at the price they're selling for. These are once in a lifetime rifles and Samco is charging a one in a lifetime price. At best, I think they'll keep up with inflation. I could be totally wrong of course.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Dang, these are nice.

i-q4NKGC7-L.jpg

i-83jSkkt-L.jpg

i-stMvpxc-L.jpg

i-9zSWGRp-L.jpg

i-kZVTH42-L.jpg

i-WbsxbTm-L.jpg

i-BpvcGDC-L.jpg

i-kD98wMC-L.jpg

i-T4ZsGng-L.jpg

i-b2q4L56-L.jpg

i-3M4czVr-L.jpg

i-dzqtRj5-L.jpg

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Wow, those k31's are tempting the crap out of me. Trying to resist as I just bought a Sauer 38H and a Sauer Prussian Drilling plus looking at a possible local deal with an MDS'er.

But it sure is tempting.

Last edited:

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Do the beech stock rifles have the Swiss cartouche in the stock? I see it on the Walnut but don't see it on the beech. I know my beech stocked rifles at home have it, I'm not sure when the cartouche is added.

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    Do the beech stock rifles have the Swiss cartouche in the stock? I see it on the Walnut but don't see it on the beech. I know my beech stocked rifles at home have it, I'm not sure when the cartouche is added.

The Beech I received didn't have the cartouche.

Here is a photo of the walnut cartouche.

i-vTm7bds-M.jpg

And the Beech stock without the cartouche.

i-zpxMDt6-M.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom