• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jul 1, 2012
    Too strong a spring will beat the crap out of it too. :)

Does the NOS spring have the same number of coils?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Too strong a spring will beat the crap out of it too. :)

Does the NOS spring have the same number of coils?

Yes. Same number, same thickness. I mic’d them.

If the spring was too strong it wouldn’t recoil completely and pickup the next round or lock open on empty.

dweissman

Mar 23, 2020
    I'm late reporting back after receiving my CZ50, have been absolutely slammed with work since getting it. It looks similar to everyone else's, with some bluing wear, and some very light pitting on the left side of the slide. Otherwise it is solid (trigger guard looks OK unlike some others). Here are the photos:

IMG_3271.jpg

IMG_3272.jpg

IMG_3273.jpg

Also, for anyone still on the fence, I noticed OWS has nickel and two-tone options now. I'm not sure if those are new or if they had them initially.

And one final note - I got a copy of Jane's infantry weapons (1988-9) around the same time as my CZ. I excitedly flipped to the section on pistols of Czechoslovakia, and it turns out Mr. Hogg is not a fan:

"There are various unsatisfactory aspects of the design, and these have been accentuated by the use of inferior materials and doubtful production processes. The result is a poor pistol has proved itself to be unreliable in use."

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    And one final note - I got a copy of Jane's infantry weapons (1988-9) around the same time as my CZ. I excitedly flipped to the section on pistols of Czechoslovakia, and it turns out Mr. Hogg is not a fan:

"There are various unsatisfactory aspects of the design, and these have been accentuated by the use of inferior materials and doubtful production processes. The result is a poor pistol has proved itself to be unreliable in use."

Interesting review from Janes. Mind you've they've been plenty wrong many other times.

Doctortoxic

The Dose Makes The Poison
    Apr 18, 2019
    CalvinBallistan
    I clearly got the ugly duckling of the group. Oh well...at least it has an original magazine which somewhat makes me feel better about the more worn blue on the top of the slide.

Had my OWS CZ50 out to the range today and it cycled like a dream. Even the wife enjoyed shooting it. And yes, I upgrade it with a set of wood grips and it accompanied my Type 54 and my Security 9 to the range.

Attachments

• 9C8706B8-35F8-4731-8DCE-B049F0C98EF2.jpg
      9C8706B8-35F8-4731-8DCE-B049F0C98EF2.jpg
      148.6 KB · Views: 389

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    Had my OWS CZ50 out to the range today and it cycled like a dream. Even the wife enjoyed shooting it. And yes, I upgrade it with a set of wood grips and it accompanied my Type 54 and my Security 9 to the range.

Were you able to get any hollow point to load and cycle through the CZ50 or were you just shooting range ball? I bought PPU 71 gr ball and Hornady 60gr HP but while the PPU fed and ejected reliably, the Hornady was jamming and getting caught while being stripped out of the mag and rammed up the feed ramp toward the chamber. I realize it is a bit underwhelming as a self defense round but I figured it'd be good to have a box or two of hollow or soft point just in case.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Were you able to get any hollow point to load and cycle through the CZ50 or were you just shooting range ball? I bought PPU 71 gr ball and Hornady 60gr HP but while the PPU fed and ejected reliably, the Hornady was jamming and getting caught while being stripped out of the mag and rammed up the feed ramp toward the chamber. I realize it is a bit underwhelming as a self defense round but I figured it'd be good to have a box or two of hollow or soft point just in case.

Fiocchi JHP runs okay. XTPs don’t feed reliably. Though I’ve found it I down load the mag one round, or use a round nose for the first round out of the mag it generally runs XTP okay. I am curious if I can get some .312 XTPs trying to load them a little long. Pretty sure that’s half the issue is they are twisting in the magazine and jamming up against the feed ramp for me because they’ve got extra length to more around in the mag compared to RN. It’s not really the tip getting stuck for mine.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I have never been able to care about Carcanos.

The only one I ever liked was one that Yellowsled had which was converted to 8mm Mauser. Don't recall the model but he sold it before I could make a decision.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    My dad had a Carcano he bought during the early '60s when you could mail order them for only a few dollars. I was never impressed by it. The most memorable thing about Carcanos in my mind was an ad in Shotgun News years ago for Carcano ammunition...the seller advertised the ammo as the "Kennedy Load". I thought it was in poor taste but it did as ads are supposed to do...it got your attention.

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    I have never been able to care about Carcanos.

The only one I ever liked was one that Yellowsled had which was converted to 8mm Mauser. Don't recall the model but he sold it before I could make a decision.

Fyi those were not the best conversions and are generally reguarded as unsafe to shoot full power 8mm through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom