Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old March 7th, 2011, 03:01 PM #31

post some pics when you finish your build
tatoocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2013, 08:50 PM #32
Not Banned Yet

Not Banned Yet

Did you ever finish this build and post pics?
gmhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2019, 07:09 AM #33
Banned

Banned

Resurrecting this thread.... according to the ATF it is legal to build an unserialized firearm at home for personal use, you just cant sell it or give it to anyone. Marylanders build firearms from from an 80% receivers all day long and never serialize them, so that got me thinking. How would anyone know the build date of a home made firearm from an 80% blank regardless of the type of firearm, banned or not? As far as I can tell the MD Firearms Safety Act of 2013 prohibits: "transporting, possessing, selling, offering for sale, transferring, purchasing, or receiving any assault weapon" It does not say "prohibits the manufacture" of any assault weapon (which by federal law I believe you can do).

In addition the 2013 firearms safety act allows a person who lawfully possessed, has a purchase order for, or completed an application to purchase an assault long gun or a copycat weapon before October 1, 2013, to continue to possess and transport the assault long gun or copycat weapon. So, that has me scratching my head... The federal laws of building a firearm at home are clear, and since a home-build firearm does not need to be registered how would anyone know if that firearm was build prior to 10/01/2013?
jrhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2019, 08:07 AM #34
0351 Semper Fi

Location: -61.211993, -54.076452 You will be sorry when I'm gone, dead, or armed
0351 Semper Fi

Location: -61.211993, -54.076452 You will be sorry when I'm gone, dead, or armed
I was curious about this as well and would like others with more knowledge on the subject weigh in on it, especially in regards to the FSA2013
This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it.
Abraham Lincoln

"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
MightyWarMonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2021, 03:50 PM #35

To confirm, you're saying you can legally build an AK rifle in MD? Or just a pistol?

I just had a colleague at MSP tell me he thinks there's some kind of definition of pistol that would prevent a kit with a 16" barrel from being MD legal if built into a pistol. If that were true, wouldn't that also apply to AR pistols in MD? I haven't heard of such a thing!

Probably throwing a wrench in the convo, but I'm not looking to be a felon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markp View Post
1. Yes, it is legal to build your own AK in Maryland.
2. No, You do not have to register it.
3. You do not have to put ANY markings on it what-so-ever.*
4. You may not sell or transfer it UNLESS it is marked per federal law, and even then, that is a gray area.
5. You are still subject to GCA (including 18 USC 922(r)) and the NFA (26 USC 5845) <- If you don't know these laws you should before you build.
6. No Machine Guns (without an FFL07/SOT), No SBR/AOW (without an approved Form 1) and No Supressors (without an approved Form 1).
Ifmanis5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2021, 06:39 PM #36
MSI Executive Member

MSI Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifmanis5 View Post
To confirm, you're saying you can legally build an AK rifle in MD? Or just a pistol?

I just had a colleague at MSP tell me he thinks there's some kind of definition of pistol that would prevent a kit with a 16" barrel from being MD legal if built into a pistol. If that were true, wouldn't that also apply to AR pistols in MD? I haven't heard of such a thing!

Probably throwing a wrench in the convo, but I'm not looking to be a felon.
You are quoting something ten years ago. The law had significant changes about 7 years ago. No you can't build an ak-47 rifle in MD, in either of your threads.

You can, but they'll have a jail cell waiting for you.

I missed your introduction, in the introduction section (as required by forum rules).
mac1_131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2021, 08:02 AM #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1_131 View Post
You are quoting something ten years ago. The law had significant changes about 7 years ago. No you can't build an ak-47 rifle in MD, in either of your threads.

You can, but they'll have a jail cell waiting for you.

I missed your introduction, in the introduction section (as required by forum rules).
I never introduced myself. Am I banned. How will MD prove you didn't build it pre 2013? Burden of proof and all.
Bountied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2021, 06:52 PM #38
0351 Semper Fi

0351 Semper Fi

I just SBR'd an ak pistol into a riffle so their is that
This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it.
Abraham Lincoln

"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
MightyWarMonger is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles > AK Group Build