• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdbassplayer

Feb 1, 2017
    Only really got much into knives very recently... got the Buck for like $20 to have something for boxes and working around the house... then I was gifted the AFO and it was eye opening how much better it was which led to the Pardue. LOL. Great... another expensive hobby :)

pN2QKOL.jpg

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    Only really got much into knives very recently... got the Buck for like $20 to have something for boxes and working around the house... then I was gifted the AFO and it was eye opening how much better it was which led to the Pardue. LOL. Great... another expensive hobby :)

pN2QKOL.jpg

nice. I love the axis locks. nothing wrong with Buck either, you need a classic 110 to add to them !

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011

pN2QKOL.jpg

Be VERY careful with the AFO. A coworkers opened in his pocket then he went to grab change and ended up with about 7 stitches

mdbassplayer

Feb 1, 2017
    Since they aren’t kosher to carry in MD I am not too worried about it. Gets used around the house when I am just going from drawer to task. There is the lockout on top of I was to carry it to prevent that.

I am sure it would not be fun to contact that blade on reaching into a pocket!

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    I just got a Benchmade 583 Tanto. The axis lock... Meh.. what's so special? It is hard to open and tough to close .. the latter I guess is a good thing.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I just got a Benchmade 583 Tanto. The axis lock... Meh.. what's so special? It is hard to open and tough to close .. the latter I guess is a good thing.

I don't have your model, but axis locks are adjustable. Mine open/close with a flick of the wrist. A torx driver is needed to tighten/loosen the retention of the blade. Fiddle with it until it's where you want it. No need to use the thumb stud at all.

FWIW, the ones that work best with this technique have more mass toward the point of the blade: Contego, 940, the "reverse tanto" blade styles.

Edit: I looked at a pic of the 583, and I don't see the axis adjustment; also apparently it's spring-assisted opening? Not at all the same as the knives I mentioned. I have no idea whether messing about with the two screws at the blade end would loosen up the action. Maybe a call th Benchmade customer service would shed some light on the situation.

Link to a 940:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013UMLR6?tag=duckduckgo-ffab-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    I don't have your model, but axis locks are adjustable. Mine open/close with a flick of the wrist. A torx driver is needed to tighten/loosen the retention of the blade. Fiddle with it until it's where you want it. No need to use the thumb stud at all.

FWIW, the ones that work best with this technique have more mass toward the point of the blade: Contego, 940, the "reverse tanto" blade styles.

Edit: I looked at a pic of the 583, and I don't see the axis adjustment; also apparently it's spring-assisted opening? Not at all the same as the knives I mentioned. I have no idea whether messing about with the two screws at the blade end would loosen up the action. Maybe a call th Benchmade customer service would shed some light on the situation.

Link to a 940:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013UMLR6?tag=duckduckgo-ffab-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

Thank you for that response. I'll look more.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC

pN2QKOL.jpg

I love my 530, it was what started my Benchmade collection years ago. Shame I swore them off after their anti-gun antics came to light. Haven't bought one in over a year now.

Ha. I will have to check the 110 out but my next knife will probably be an ESEE 4. I want a nice fixed blade for camping and heavier tasks.

Buy the ESEE 4, you won't regret it. I've had mine almost a decade and used and abused it. Thing is a beast. Can be a bit much for smaller tasks and the thickness can make it difficult to sharpen but it's a workhorse stud.

mdbassplayer

Feb 1, 2017
    I love my 530, it was what started my Benchmade collection years ago. Shame I swore them off after their anti-gun antics came to light. Haven't bought one in over a year now.

Buy the ESEE 4, you won't regret it. I've had mine almost a decade and used and abused it. Thing is a beast. Can be a bit much for smaller tasks and the thickness can make it difficult to sharpen but it's a workhorse stud.
    Thanks for the feedback on the ESEE. I had completely forgotten about the whole Benchmade anti-gun thing until you mentioned it. Luckily I don’t need anymore BM knives and have plenty of other options moving forward.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    What do you folks use to store your fixed blades and folders? I am using backpacks and satchels. Is there a better product?

Q

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    What do you folks use to store your fixed blades and folders? I am using backpacks and satchels. Is there a better product?

Q

I need to do better also. my folders are mostly in a drawer on my dresser cause I use one every day. my fixed blades are mostly in a Cabelas gear bag, except for those scattered about that are used for specific functions...

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    Nice, but I don't have that many knives of display quality. Mostly mass produced stuff, lol. Interesting option though.

Q

I have a mix of cheaper knives and some better quality production knives. I picked up one of those cabinets on clearance for less than $100 and a cheap LED light kit. Now I need to add more things to it to fill it the rest of the way up. :D When I get a minute I'll add a photo.

Mule

Just Mule
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2013

I've got mine in a couple of these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1...all-Parts-Organizer-in-Black-235587/302939645

I had a whole bunch of various gear items stored in a couple of Rubbermaid tubs. Unfortunately, that left a lot to be desired, for.a number of logistical reasons. So, since I had a ton of small items, in a number of different general categories, I started looking for a better storage solution.

I had the following criteria:

1.) Keep the items organized by category
    2.) Common form factor
    3.) Modularity
    4.) Reasonable degree of internal customization
    5.) Ease of access to contents
    6.) Inexpensive
    7.) Commercially available, off-the-shelf solution

After a bit of searching, and given the spatial constraints within which I had to work, I settled on those parts organizers. Depending on what I need to store, I use none, some, or all of the included trays.

I've got a (literal) stack of them now, filled with many of my various implements/accessories/toys/gadgets, and labeled accordingly.

A couple these are being used for your stated purpose...one of them is filled with a bunch of new-in-box folding knives, and another holds about a dozen or so fixed blades.

If I were going to be doing a lot of transporting, I might have chosen a different solution. (the way I'm using these, the contents of some of the cases might get disorganized when the cases are tossed around) However, for simple, sturdy shelf storage, that costs a little over ten bucks, and can be carried like a briefcase, it'd be hard to beat one of these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom