• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2nd=Good+Substantial

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2012
    The Hereford Zone
    I just got my Star B from J&G. Unfortunately, my picture taking skills are pretty limited.

Nice blued finish, good factory wood grips, and a very nice bore. It's a "* P" so I know it's a 1945. It does not appear to be a A - B conversion.

I have not had time to clean it much less do any test firing.

I have a few questions for those more knowledgeable (i.e. most everyone) about these guns.

1) The two "ramps" that hold the barrel link look a bit chewed up. Should I be concerned? Any ideas on the cause? Should I file these smooth(er)?

2) The slot for taking out the slide stop has a cut through the rail above it. Is that normal? Again, should I be concerned?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• Serial No.jpg
      Serial No.jpg
      32.1 KB · Views: 222
    • Barrel Link.jpg
      Barrel Link.jpg
      43.5 KB · Views: 198
    • Slide stop slot.jpg
      Slide stop slot.jpg
      37.6 KB · Views: 225

Hicap

Magazine Clips
    Jun 10, 2012
    Yes it was. As far appearance goes, I was satisfied. It wasn't until I field stripped it that I saw these issues. I'm guessing hand select is only a quick look over and maybe racking the slide?

Oh wow. I just ordered one with hand select from j&g last week, should be here thurs. Had a mix up with my c&r license. I've ordered a couple rifles from them in the past and they've always had great customer service. I'm sure they'll fix your problem.

Looks like the j&g model b's are blued, I sure hope mine is.

necrodude

Aug 22, 2012
    PG county, MD
    I'm pretty sure the cut on the rail is normal. Every star b I have seen has it and mine has it to.

Attachments

• 20140930_230755.jpg
      20140930_230755.jpg
      27.6 KB · Views: 192
    Jul 1, 2012
    A quick sampling of mine... M1931(military Model A) doesn't have it, 1943 Bulgarian has the slot (although thin), a mint 1944 unmolested B has the slot and it's fairly wide. As long as the lugs aren't cracked and the link looks ok it's probably GTG (examine those lugs really close, it looks like somebody was filing on them - maybe a repaired crack). Look inside the frame and slide for evidence of damage too, just to be sure.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I'm turning my card in. I've never noticed a slot like that, and it's too late to pull some apart tonight. Still think the lugs look a bit suspicious. Don't know why they should be marked like that.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    My days of buying anything for which I need an HQL are done (they were never here) unless my Glock 23 breaks. I am not giving the state the satisfaction of my time or money.

Yeah ... there's that.

You need a residence in VA. You might want to think about investing in some retirement property down this way (and no ... I'm not a realtor).

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    I live in the City so that's not really an option.

Yeah ... I know. That sucks. I couldn't get out of the Balto. area fast enough when my wife and I finished school. I can't imagine my kids being raised where I'd be worried about them going outside or having to go to public schools. We got lucky where we live. Lots of military research, so there are a great many kids whose parents put a premium on academics, but still out in the boondocks, so I can legally walk out my door and shoot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom