Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Black Powder
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old May 20th, 2021, 08:46 PM #1

BPCR Shooting

Does anyone here do BPCR shooting, either Silhouette or Long distance? I am thinking about trying it this summer. I would like to get some ideas of what rifles you are shooting, recommend or possibly selling that may help me get started. Also, what range do you shoot? I know Thurmont does one a few times a year.
Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Old May 21st, 2021, 08:18 PM #2
Hooligan #12

Hooligan #12

There are a few of the Hooligans that shoot BPCR. 4570inMD and BigRick have been shooting up in Shippensburg, PA. I hope to join them next month. We are mostly shooting 1847 Sharps in various flavors. Shiloh and C. Sharps. J8064 has a really nice Perdersoli in 45-70. The cartridges we shoot vary between 40-65, 40-70 SS, and 45-70. I suggest you hop on over to the Shiloh forum for more information. I can say that this type of shooting is a labor of love. It also ain't cheap but, it is worth every penny. Hope this helps.
Registered Republican Voter
Responsible Firearm Owner

Deus Et Patria
CombatAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2021, 08:31 PM #3
Hooligan #15

Hooligan #15

Like CombatAK said 4570inMd and I both shoot at Shippensburg, PA and Ridgway PA. 4570 shoots a Shiloh Sharps 1874 in 40-70 sharps straight and a Shiloh 45-70 if you haven't guessed. I shoot the same calibers except my 40-70 is a C. Sharps and my 45-70 is a Shiloh Sharps. If you go to Shippensburg's web site https://www.shippensburgfishandgame.com you can get the schedule and next month is the Super Shoot. Ridgway is hosting the 2021 BPCR Nationals at the end of July. http://ridgwayrifleclub.com. If your looking for a rifle to get started J2 Defense had a 45-70 C Sharps that had never been fired. Not sure if they still have it but I would be a great gun to get you started. 4570 is the resident expert and I'm sure he'll be around to give you all the info you need.
Old May 23rd, 2021, 10:42 PM #4

Thanks BigRick and CombatAK,
I have a line on two rifles. One is a Pedersoli High Wall that has had a trigger job and also the new. Had a half a dozen shots through it. But, it will need a rear staff. Includes a MVA front sight and a MVA rear base chambered in 45/70 or a custom C Sharps about 20 years old that has a Lyman #2 rear tang sight and globe front chambered in 40-60. Included is 40 rounds of brass, 50 cartridges loaded and reloading dies.
Both are within $200 of each other in costs.
Not sure which one to go with but I need to make a decision ASAP..
Any Suggestions?
Old May 23rd, 2021, 11:13 PM #5
Hooligan #15

Hooligan #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensfaninmd View Post
Thanks BigRick and CombatAK,
I have a line on two rifles. One is a Pedersoli High Wall that has had a trigger job and also the new. Had a half a dozen shots through it. But, it will need a rear staff. Includes a MVA front sight and a MVA rear base chambered in 45/70 or a custom C Sharps about 20 years old that has a Lyman #2 rear tang sight and globe front chambered in 40-60. Included is 40 rounds of brass, 50 cartridges loaded and reloading dies.
Both are within $200 of each other in costs.
Not sure which one to go with but I need to make a decision ASAP..
Any Suggestions?
Iím assuming that the C Sharps is 40-60 Maynard. If so that is an accurate round. Me personally if I had to choose between the 2 Iíd go C Sharps. Thatís just me. I own a C Sharps and I prefer my Shiloh over that. I know nothing about high walls so I canít say anything about the pedersoli. I do know that a gentleman that shoots with us at Ridgway and Shippensburg shoots a C Sharps high wall and heís a national champion and the only person to shoot a perfect score in BPCR silhouette.
Old May 26th, 2021, 04:12 PM #6
Western MD Hooligan #007

Western MD Hooligan #007

Welcome to the BPCR community.

Another vote for the C Sharps here, based on their successes at the BPCR matches. C Sharps rifles are known for their high-quality, precision, and accuracy.

BPCR shooting is great fun & calls upon your reloading and shooting skills. As mentioned earlier, it can get a bit pricey.

Other BPCR competitors are usually attempting to improve their personal scores and very willing to help others improve. You will be welcomed & assisted wherever you show up.

Western Maryland Hooligan #007
MD HQL; MD Designated Collector;
NRA Distinguished Life Member; NRA Rifle Coach;
MSI Sustaining Member
4570inMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2021, 04:36 PM #7

I shoot puny rounds compared to y'all. I shoot a Ballard in .32-20. But I only shoot to 100 yds. 17 gr 3f 100gr Lyman #2 bullet.
toppkatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2021, 03:15 PM #8

I'm working my way into in a strange, roundabout fashion. A late family friend had a large collection, and some time after his death most if it came to my family. I have his Pedersoli 1874 Sharps in .45-70 and his CPA Silhouette Stevens 44 1/2 in .40-65. I have been delinquent in gearing up for them (too many other competing hobbies; definitely not grounds for complaint). But my goal is to get a load developed for each and to shoot silhouettes at Shippensburg this year.

I also would go with the C Sharps. I like the Pedersoli Sharps a lot. The Sharps is kinda THE quintessential BPCR. I'm sure the Pedersoli Hi Wall is a good rifle, and .45-70 is the easiest cartridge to get started loading, just because the components are more common. But if the choice is between a hi-grade like a C Sharps, for the same money, that's where I'd go. Once you have the components to load for .40-60, it'll all be a wash. Molds, powder, lead, and primers all cost the same. Just getting the brass and dies is the hard(er) part.

Buffaloarms.com probably has the biggest selection of stuff.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Horseman308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2021, 09:40 AM #9

Thanks for the replies, input and suggestions. After careful consideration, I went with the almost new Pedersoli hi wall classic in 45/70. It had trigger work done and only 4 shots through it. The C Sharps was very nice but it was very well used. Also, the Hi Wall came with a MVA front glove sight and a MVA rear base. All I have to do is Roeder the staff. I already have the dies, brass powder and primers to start loading for it.
I too hope to start shooting at Shippensburg once I get set up.
Old June 1st, 2021, 02:09 PM #10
Hooligan #15

Hooligan #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensfaninmd View Post
Thanks for the replies, input and suggestions. After careful consideration, I went with the almost new Pedersoli hi wall classic in 45/70. It had trigger work done and only 4 shots through it. The C Sharps was very nice but it was very well used. Also, the Hi Wall came with a MVA front glove sight and a MVA rear base. All I have to do is Roeder the staff. I already have the dies, brass powder and primers to start loading for it.
I too hope to start shooting at Shippensburg once I get set up.
I'm glad you made your choice. I might have an extra 535 grain mold that I ordered 2 of by accident that is perfect for the 45-70 if your interested. I know that Buffalo Arms is sold out of a ton of stuff and not sure how long the backorder would be on them. Congrats on the new purchase and can't wait to see you at the range!

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Black Powder