• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rch184

Aug 30, 2010
    Ceciltucky, Md.
    Old Line State!

I noticed over the years Maryland politicians never use the title "Free State" anymore for Maryland!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Heck... we can't even keep drugs and weapons out of prisons... think about that for a moment.

You mean what should be the most controlled environment in the country? What we need is a way to get the news of the new laws out to the criminal element. Once they hear it is illegal, they will comply.

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    I’ve got an old Stevens bolt .22 that was made before the serial number requirement. I suppose they would contend that’s also untraceable. Such BS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I’ve got an old Stevens bolt .22 that was made before the serial number requirement. I suppose they would contend that’s also untraceable. Such BS.

I would hope they would make an exception.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    "Nothing is more destructive of respect for the government and the law of the land than passing laws which cannot be enforced."
    - Albert Einstein, My First Impression of the U.S.A., 1921

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I think they will exempt antiques. Big Mike is a gun fan.

Doesn't have to be antique.

Serial number requirement is from GCA 68. Prior to 68, only NFA firearms were required to have serial numbers.

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    And if anyone thinks they will grandfather what you have now your out of your mind

They have it in for us and our guns.
    Correct -- no grandfathering

It bans the TRANSFER...

And just how many of these heinous tools of death have been used in the streets of Bloodymore?!!

Yeah... They still do it the old-fashioned way... with files and Dremels!!
    Yes, transfer is banned. The number used in crimes doesn't matter to the rights-grabbers. Files and dremel tools might be OK!

Looks like i need to look into doing an 80% Glock frame now.
    If any part was made on a CNC, you're outta luck.

I’ll happily put a serial # on my 1911’s and Glocks. I have a metal stamping set.
    Would not comply with the proposed bill if any part of the gun was made via CNC.

Idiots. We need to make two points:

1. Pass ANY firearm law, and you create a buying frenzy.
    2. There is NO spot in MD that is more than 90 minutes drive from another state. Usually less. And since 80% receivers are NOT considered firearms by the Federal Government, people can buy out of state.
    80% or 79%, it doesn't matter. They are going after homemade guns even if only a small portion of it was made on CNC.

Serial Number 1

Serial Number 1

Serial Number 1

Serial Number 1

:lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2:
    Serial numbers are not the issue, and serializing your existing home-made guns won't meet the law. If any portion of them were made on a CNC mill and are home-made, you would become a criminal.

They absolutely can and do all the time. Witness the current bumpstock ban.

No one knows what the law will say until they write it, so we can't answer those questions right now. They could do a California and say you have to serialize and register them. They could say it's flat out illegal to build a gun at home at all. They could say that blue 3-d printed ones are illegal and red ones aren't. We won't know until we see the proposed legislation.

In a broader sense, though, this kind of legislation is pointless and impossible to enforce, because of the very nature of the items that are being discussed, and it will only ever hurt law abiding people, just like all gun control.
    Yep, yep, and yep.

Agree 100%. They are trying to ban the knowledge of how to build a gun. How do you do that? Billet receivers are solid squares, add a CNC and the proper G-code.
    Possessing the g-code will become a punishable offense, gun or no gun.

Y'all can read the bill for yourselves here: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2019RS/bills/sb/sb0008f.pdf
    Needless to say, I encourage everyone to rattle the ear of their elected officials.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    Hypothetically, why couldn't someone get any particular flavor of G-code (which is just a text file) to finish an 80% lower and print it out to be included with written testimony on this bill so that it becomes part of the official record. Then what are they gonna do?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Hypothetically, why couldn't someone get any particular flavor of G-code (which is just a text file) to finish an 80% lower and print it out to be included with written testimony on this bill so that it becomes part of the official record. Then what are they gonna do?
    That would be quite funny.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick

Brilliant!!

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I'm shopping around doing research now on 80% lowers for handguns. I quite honestly never wanted one or had any interest in building one until the pricks started moving to ban them. Now I figure if they want to ban it, it must be worth having.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Pretty much.

The "easiest" for a handgun is a P80 lower for a Glock. Then the SIG P320 chassis, and then a 1911 or other classic metal receiver.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I'm shopping around doing research now on 80% lowers for handguns. I quite honestly never wanted one or had any interest in building one until the pricks started moving to ban them. Now I figure if they want to ban it, it must be worth having.

Pretty much.

The "easiest" for a handgun is a P80 lower for a Glock. Then the SIG P320 chassis, and then a 1911 or other classic metal receiver.

I have tooling for all of the above mentioned 80’s, plus the Sig P228/229.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Pretty much.

I'm thinking a P320 might be fun just because I've had so many Glocks over the years and used to market a certain West Hartford company's 1911's for a living.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

Same logic applied to bumpstocks.

Just make sure you can afford to trash anything you buy, when the GA makes it illegal. Five year penalty for misdemeanor will also remove your capacity for meaningful self-defense.

Of course, if you have a six-figure legal fund to attempt to overturn MD's unconstitutional laws, and plenty of time and patience, you may prevail.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I have tooling for all of the above mentioned 80’s, plus the Sig P228/229.

I could probably assemble a P228 in my sleep, and I've always thought it would be cool to build one. I might have to think about that... Which rail cutter / jig did you get for that?

I'm thinking a P320 might be fun just because I've had so many Glocks over the years and used to market a certain West Hartford company's 1911's for a living.

P320s are great pistols. I have an X-VTAC that I am quite pleased with, and as soon as I scrape together the discretionary funds, I'll be ordering a kit to try my hand at a build. The trick is the parts kits. SIG sells the "conversion kits" with barrel / slide / recoil assy / grip module and you can find those all day for $350, but the small parts are impossible. I did find some places in CA that will sell you the whole gun minus the FCG / firearm part though. Technically "used" parts but basically a stripped new gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom