• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    I would call this a 'taking' and demand payment. Won't happen, though.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Waiting to hear a story where police do not want to infringe on someones rights. I'm guessing they are choosing the paycheck as opposed to the Constitution, so far. "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their ....."

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    So, this particular county prosecutor says: off duty cops are subject to this, as well. Wheeeee!

Attachments

• nj_mags.jpg
      nj_mags.jpg
      65.9 KB · Views: 388

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Yea but they're going to amend it.
    Would love to hear the reason why it's necessary to give an exception such that a citizen off duty from a government job has an increased need/right than a citizen in a different line of work. If the argument is self defense, then why aren't citizens with other backgrounds afforded similar self defense options. I realize that MD does this, but in this case they're going back to amend existing law. I bet that they say it's for training, their job doesn't end at home, etc. I don't know how often the two classes of citizens arguments have been made in courts (vis-à-vis 2A rights), especially when one class are agents of the government, but I suspect that it makes some judges uncomfortable.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Would love to hear the reason why it's necessary to give an exception such that a citizen off duty from a government job has an increased need/right than a citizen in a different line of work. If the argument is self defense, then why aren't citizens with other backgrounds afforded similar self defense options. I realize that MD does this, but in this case they're going back to amend existing law. I bet that they say it's for training, their job doesn't end at home, etc. I don't know how often the two classes of citizens arguments have been made in courts (vis-à-vis 2A rights), especially when one class are agents of the government, but I suspect that it makes some judges uncomfortable.

I can't recall what case or where, but a ruling was posted on MDS just recently and the ruling spoke directly to this issue, defending LEO as more equal. It didn't read like the Judge was uncomfortable at all. I recall training was one excuse.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    The funny thing is that the “they should be allowed bigger magazines because they’ve had more training” thinking is laughably backwards. The typical know-nothing grabber’s reasoning is that trained cops are magically better shots, or would somehow be smarter and know not to send too many rounds at an assailant. Then why would they need even more capacity than their neighbor? They should be able to get by with even smaller mags, plus their ninja skills!

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I can't recall what case or where, but a ruling was posted on MDS just recently and the ruling spoke directly to this issue, defending LEO as more equal. It didn't read like the Judge was uncomfortable at all. I recall training was one excuse.
    Which is why I said some judges. Many are statists and would be comfortable with near complete gun bans for citizens that aren't government agents. Hopefully the ones willing to view 2A protections/rights as extending to citizens aren't as infrequent as the one in Texas that finally ruled against Obamacare (although Trump did help set the table for this to occur).

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I shared that memo with my officers. We are required by Dept policy to carry our issued Glock 22 while off duty. A lot of guys locally are from NJ and NY. We can not comply with Dept policy and NJ law so I advised them that I was granting an exemption to Dept policy if they were traveling through NJ. It isn't worth an arrest.

CrabcakesAndFootball

Jun 14, 2017
    Which is why I said some judges. Many are statists and would be comfortable with near complete gun bans for citizens that aren't government agents. Hopefully the ones willing to view 2A protections/rights as extending to citizens aren't as infrequent as the one in Texas that finally ruled against Obamacare (although Trump did help set the table for this to occur).

The obvious catch 22 is that the judges who conduct themselves in accord with the constitution are stacked in circuits comprised of the states least likely to pass unconstitutional 2A measures.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Winter is coming...

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom