• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    I just put up an Arlo Pro camera system and am quite pleased with it. The basic recording service is free and I control it completely from my phone.

You can get the kit and additional cameras from Best Buy, Lowes, Costco, and others.
    I did the same. I have integrated the 4 cameras and door switch in the garage with Samsung SmartThings, and get alerts when the cameras are triggered.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

BigTrain

Jan 3, 2018
    Baltimore
    Security

I have ADT for a security system and I also installed a Lorex camera system from Costco. I'm mostly happy with both. The camera system has helped identify and find at least two sets of potential thieves. The only issue I have with ADT is the fact that they will call the house first before calling the police...potential wasted time IMO but the felon that lives next door (the whole reason for both systems) is currently a guest of the county so when he gets out I'll call ADT and tell them just call the cops if it goes off

RPKR, which Lorex system do you have? I've been eyeballing some of their sets on line.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I have ADT for a security system and I also installed a Lorex camera system from Costco. I'm mostly happy with both. The camera system has helped identify and find at least two sets of potential thieves. The only issue I have with ADT is the fact that they will call the house first before calling the police...potential wasted time IMO but the felon that lives next door (the whole reason for both systems) is currently a guest of the county so when he gets out I'll call ADT and tell them just call the cops if it goes off

Most companies do this now due to the fact maintenance of systems by the homeowners is suspect and after so many "false" alarms municipalities can start back charging. Now throw in many home systems are "wireless" contacts and most people only know how to arm and disarm you can see a companies conundrum sort of.

PALYDIN11

Jan 26, 2013
    Ocean City, MD
    Hey all,

Not sure where to post this, so I figured I'd put it in my home region.

My garage has been broken into twice in a year. They didn't actually get in the second time (I've got bars now), but they did kindly break three windows. The first time, they didn't steel much, as my dog was freaking out and I let him outside. I'm pretty sure he spooked them. Didn't realize someone had broken into the garage til the next day. Any hints on good home security company in the Baltimore area? Every company seems like a scam.

FOSCAM from Amazon is also a great choice.

rpker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2009
    Charles County
    RPKR, which Lorex system do you have? I've been eyeballing some of their sets on line.

I have the 16 channel system that came with 8 HD cameras. I think they have move on to just selling 4K cameras though. The video quality on the HD cameras is excellent, I would hope the 4K one are at least as good, but I have not seen it first hand.

The system came with a 2Tb “security rated” hard drive but is upgradeae to 4Tb. Right now I am running 6 cameras continuous record and I get about 10 days of history. If I switched to “motion detect” I would probably get way more life out of my drive but I like to be able to watch the relays in continuous and not have to try to figure out where in time I am. And when the drive goes bad I planning to upgrade to. 4Tb anyhow

rpker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2009
    Charles County
    Another plug for a camera system. The town of La Plata offers a rebate for security cameras. The only catch is that you have to agree to let them have the video if there is a crime caught on your cameras. Something I am willing to do anyway...

I don’t know if other towns offer the same program though.

k3usr

Nov 16, 2007
    I you want to build you own system I would recommend Blue Iris Software. Requires a windows computer and supports many cameras. I use HIKVISION DS-2CD2342WD-I 4MP cameras and have had no problems - great night vision too.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I you want to build you own system I would recommend Blue Iris Software. Requires a windows computer and supports many cameras. I use HIKVISION DS-2CD2342WD-I 4MP cameras and have had no problems - great night vision too.

I use Blue Iris at work and once you have everything set up it works fairly well. I just moved the server to an Intel NUC PC with 1tb SSD drive. The original PC died a dusty death as it had been running 24-7 for about 5yrs.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    I installed a simpli safe system months ago. You can buy whatever type sensor you need to suite your use. Installed door and window sensors on all my windows and doors along with motion detectors and door sensors in my detached garage (garage has no windows) you can add additional sensors or cameras as needed. You can get basic monitoring service that calls police for 15.00 or deluxe service for 25.00 a month that allows you to arm,disarm system along with monitor cameras via app. This is a month by month fee, not muti year contract to monitor.
    FYI depending on county you may need to apply for a alarm permit that allows alarm monitoring company to call police and fire department if monitoring smoke alarms.
    So far happy with it. The 3 times I mistakenly triggered alarm the monitoring contacted me to verify a false or real alarm was set off.
    FWIW:)

kyserthehun

Jul 24, 2016

I went this route as well. You can get a phone app and a web server as well. If anyone's interested I can create a temp login and give you the link.

Ponch

Feb 7, 2018
    Odenton
    I bought some cheap YI brand wifi cameras on amazon. can can set them to alert with motion and record. if you are interested in a full wireless camera system I have one that I would sell pretty cheap. I live in a townhouse and dont need 4 cameras.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom