• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Thank you for the info. My BCA is primarily 7.62x39, with a standard 5.56 upper in the cabinet waiting for the heavy barrel installed before I can mount it. My Colt hasn't been separated yet completely, and will primarily stay 5.56. I was looking for a 7.62x39 upper for it, just for recreational shooting. The Colt will probably be handed down one day, and thought having another genuine Colt upper to go with it would be really nice. Kinda trying to look forward. I asked the seller if the bore is chrome lined and he doesn't know, but it looks like it might from the muzzle pic. He says he bought it years ago, and shot it only a little, then stored it. Says now its banned, (CA).

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Thank you for the info. My BCA is primarily 7.62x39, with a standard 5.56 upper in the cabinet waiting for the heavy barrel installed before I can mount it. My Colt hasn't been separated yet completely, and will primarily stay 5.56. I was looking for a 7.62x39 upper for it, just for recreational shooting. The Colt will probably be handed down one day, and thought having another genuine Colt upper to go with it would be really nice. Kinda trying to look forward. I asked the seller if the bore is chrome lined and he doesn't know, but it looks like it might from the muzzle pic. He says he bought it years ago, and shot it only a little, then stored it. Says now its banned, (CA).

The Colt x39 Barrels I have worked on were all Chrome Lined. Perhaps there are some that were not, but I have not seen them.

I would just hate for you to buy it on a budget to find out the pivot pin lug was crushed, and the barrel was shot out, thus my comments above. It could have been stored and shot little, but due to the wear on the pivot pin it indicates it was taken apart or opened up often.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    These are the pics he sent me. I am debating between getting a genuine Colt upper, for my Colt, or just cheaping out and buying another BCA 7.62x39 upper, which has worked fine on my other rifle so far. Kinda want the Colt more though, just can't make up my mind.

Attachments

• 20171229_201615.jpg
      20171229_201615.jpg
      25.7 KB · Views: 124
    • 20171229_201827.jpg
      20171229_201827.jpg
      31.8 KB · Views: 126

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    What kind of problems are you seeing with BCA? I suppose I have been fortunate so far. I was thinking about selling it for a Wyndham Weaponry one eventually.

Ejector Mushroming
    Short Headsace
    Broken Extractors
    Short Leade/Throat
    Mismatched Feed Ramps
    Oversize Gas Key Bore
    Overtorqued Barrel Nuts/No Grease
    Cheap Fasteners on Gas Key
    Insufficient Firing Pin Protrusion

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Ejector Mushroming
    Short Headsace
    Broken Extractors
    Short Leade/Throat
    Mismatched Feed Ramps
    Oversize Gas Key Bore
    Overtorqued Barrel Nuts/No Grease
    Cheap Fasteners on Gas Key
    Insufficient Firing Pin Protrusion

Wow. I suppose I should look at a better BCG in 7.62x39. I was debating on selling the BCA rifle eventually and getting a Ruger 556 Hbar, or a Windham Weaponry Hbar. I guess it is a good idea now.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Honestly, I would not do 7.62x39 in AR pattern. .300 blackout has the same ballistics, easier parts compatibility like BCG, and no magazine issues. Ammo is more expensive, but its worth it to avoid headcahes and reliability issues. my .02

ETA: standard ammo is more expensive, but specialized ammo like subsonic .300 blackout is cheaper than 7.62x39

Sirex