• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I stopped at Walmart on my way home yesterday to pick up my prescription, then ambled over to the ammunition cabinet. I don't usually buy 9mm ammunition as I load it for pistol competition but my reloads are just a little long for my PCC. Anyway, I was going to pick up some Federal aluminum cased 9mm for my PCC, when I spotted some Winchester steel cased 9mm. Has anybody else here tried this stuff? 150 rounds for $24 and change. I picked up 300 rounds for a little over $55 after tax. It's steel cased with copper/lead bullets. I'm going to try them out today at the Quantico Steel Challenge.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I haven't tried it yet, hasn't been cheap enough compared to brass for me to go that way. If it's like Hornady I think they import the primed cases from Russian (or somewhere in the EU) and load them here. Out of curiosity please let us know if it's Berdan primed or not and of course, your thoughts on it.

I like steel when plinking in the woods when I know I'll lose brass.
    Only ever had an issue with it in certain Beretta 92 mags when it galled against each other and wouldn't feed. Other than that I haven't had issues with steel in general, but haven't tried the US made stuff yet.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    $8 per 50 is less than brass cased 9mm. It functioned fine in my PCC. It's a lot louder than my reloads, but didn't affect my shooting with the PCC.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Hummm. Louder than your usual *might* be a clue of slower than typical powder. Did you chrono any from PCC?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    No I did not crono the Winchester stuff. It's standard 115gr bulk ammunition. My Steel Challenge load is 2.4gr of Titegroup behind a 147gr LFP bullet, which hits about 750 fps out of my CZ SP-01 and 880 fps out of my PCC. My lead load sounds like I'm shooting subsonic .22 LR, the steel Winchester stuff is supersonic out of my PCC. If I wanted to suppress my PCC to be as quiet as possible, I'd use the same load of Titegroup with the polymer coated version of the 147gr LFP bullets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom