• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which would be a better overall rifle for sporting use, range time, potential defense

• Vepr

Votes: 13 72.2%
    • Radical Firearms AR

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    So, I am looking to get another 7.62x39 carbine. I have under consideration a 16" Vepr in 7.62x39;
    http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/com...-62x39mm-rifle-16-barrel-detail.html?Itemid=0

And a Radical Firearms 7.62x39 complete rifle;
    http://www.radicalfirearms.com/product-p/fr16-7.62x39hbar-12fgs.htm

I am set on 7.62x39. So, that said, I like both rifles, but can afford only one at this time. I have some AKs, but have never had an AR. So, I have the familiarity with the Vepr. The AR is totally new to me. As a repair tech, I like thing rugged and simple, and the Vepr fits that checkbox. However, I like the modularity, adaptability, and versatility of the Radical Arms AR. I like that I can swap an upper to shoot 5.56/223 should I ever need. I have a bunch of steel case 7.62x39, and RF says it can shoot steel case, unlike the Bear Creek Arsenal, just have to replace the firing pin and a spring. The 7.62x39 AR mags are also going to be tough to get here in MD. I did some research and ASC appear to the best mags. But for 20, or 30 round mags, I'd have to get them sent to PA, and my PA contacts have moved. So, mags are a bit of an issue. The Vepr is ready to shoot steel case vRussian ammo, and comes with 2 mags, but would require a bullet guide and latch trim to use AK mags, which I have a bunch of for another rifle. I would also have to remove the muzzle cap and pin to add a brake. The RF has a flash hider. The Vepr is heavy duty, but heavier. The RF is lighter, modular. The Vepr has a reputation for durability and reliability. The RF is fairly new. Reviews I found were mostly positive with a few hiccups, mainly mags and failure to ignite the primer, which the new firing pin and spring may help. Vepr has chrome linign, the RF is melonited. I kinda want an AR, but the AK is like an old friend. Familiar, comfy. But the newness of the AR is exciting. Both have reports of good accuracy. Ultimately I am looking for reliability. I have confidence the Vepr will outlast me. I know nothing about the RF, but it has a lifetime warranty, as long as the company is in business. I have gun blindness right now. Gunblindness is where I want 2 guns, but can only afford one, and am so into both guns I can't see clearly.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    16", 7.62x39

Attachments

• Vepr 7.62x39.jpg
      Vepr 7.62x39.jpg
      21.2 KB · Views: 248

Knight41

Feb 16, 2016
    I just put a 7.62 RF upper on my Anderson lower. I am just needing magazines for it. I have yet to shoot it, but the fit and finish is absolutely amazing!!!! Could not be happier with it (again, have not shot it, but have only heard good things, which is why I purchased it).

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    On the mags, you can have them shipped to any UPS store in PA, tell them it is coming (might want to call before ordering, just tell them where it is coming from) and they'll hold it for you for something like $8.

Just a thought.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Vepr, it's a solid rifle, although can have some odd dimensions that prevent some aftermarket AK stuff from working. Would pass on an AR build unless you are going with a KS47/Mutant rifle that uses AK mags. Have known a few people to build or buy standard ARs in 7.62X39, most have problems feeding, and there aren't many companies that make mags for them.

Naptown52

Dec 16, 2013
    This may be a stupid question, but is that Vepr MD legal? Are they not considered AK pattern?

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Or go for broke and get a Sig 556XI Russian. Lifetime warranty, folding stock, adjustable gas, full length rail and adjustable trigger.

Radical is new and their reputation is spotty at best. Recently they were trying to intimidate a reviewer over a poor review. (Thread in the SOTAR forum.) So I'd pass on them.

Sirex