• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Ok,
    Starting with this video from NuttnFancy (got time to waste waiting for more snow to fall?)?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7DrsW3cyFA
    (don't shoot the messenger when you see him tapping the receiver)

Some good info that MAY convince people to NOT bubba the Mosin.

I'm sure he's spent alot of time on this, as he says, I do find some things I disagree only from my limited experience though. Some of it from things I've done (temporary scout scope for my dad which I later reverted back to stock as well as conversations with people's experiences at the Range)
    But there is ALOT of truth in this video. Especially how he pretty much comes to the conclusion that bubbafication to compare to a modern bolt action rifle is a waste of time.

Some things I agree are:
    1) Scout mounts lose zero very often
    2) Mounting optics is problematic in general
    3) If you keep it stock and shoot the surplus, you will be good to go.
    4) Most Mosin issues are feeding issues
    5) Accuracy from mosin to mosin varries. (If you don't take a mosin that is already accurate, you may be starting with a foundation that will not make you happy in the end)
    6) Bad stock trigger
    7) Archangle stock adds reliability issues

Some things I disagree or he did not cover are
    1) Standard surplus is pretty accurate. Well, I'd say the surplus has about 10% fliers. 2-4MOA from my Mosin Sniper vs. 1-1.5MOA from PPU if I take a 5 shot group AND let it cool between
    2) Mine and my Dad's Ruger american got 2MOA with almost all factory ammo. Not the 4MOA he mentioned.
    3) (reserved space to add more).

Maybe if anyone thinking of Bubbafication of a Mosin watches this video he/she will change their mind.

My recommendation, if you want a "project" just get the mosin, shoot it first. Maybe do the heat shrink trick on the front sight to get it to zero. Think later to follow the accurization from smith-sights.com using thier little $15 kit. Beyond that, you want a more accurate Mosin, you might as well just get a Mosin Sniper. Mosin + archagle stock + Scope mount + scope + trigger + bent bolt, you pretty much there already. Oh wait, the bore is frosty and the muzzle is all worn down, your toast. Many of the bores/muzzles of the Snipers were already taken care of.

Happy trails.

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    While I love my stock Mosin, me and my brother "chopped" one up that I paid $135 with unmatched numbers. Added around $500 bucks into the rifle, we loved it. Sure, it's definitely not as accurate as a stock Remington 700, but it's a rifle that we "built" together and it will be a life time memory. We will look back and pleased that we did it!

We are able to hit 2-6 inches at a 100 yard (glow shot birch wood target). So far knocking on the wood, scope/mount holds zero. Trigger on mine is pretty decent, so i havent opted to a Timney yet. We also like the fact that the ammo was cheap, at least what we paid for.

Again, I am keeping my all matched number Mosin in the safe, but we are glad what we did and loving it.

Happy Mosin-ing!

aht2131

Aug 5, 2011
    While I love my stock Mosin, me and my brother "chopped" one up that I paid $135 with unmatched numbers. Added around $500 bucks into the rifle, we loved it. Sure, it's definitely not as accurate as a stock Remington 700, but it's a rifle that we "built" together and it will be a life time memory. We will look back and pleased that we did it!

We are able to hit 2-6 inches at a 100 yard (glow shot birch wood target). So far knocking on the wood, scope/mount holds zero. Trigger on mine is pretty decent, so i havent opted to a Timney yet. We also like the fact that the ammo was cheap, at least what we paid for.

Again, I am keeping my all matched number Mosin in the safe, but we are glad what we did and loving it.

Happy Mosin-ing!

I agree. As long as its not a super collectable piece, I say get one and do what you like with it. I think thats a big part of the appeal of these rifles is that it is fun and relatively easy to tinker with. Just don't expect to turn it into what it isn't.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Not poking at the previous posters but my purpose was to make sure people are fully aware that they will possibly sink hundreds into a Mosin to get very little more accuracy out of it in the end. As well as end up with something that is likely valued at 20%-50% of what they put into it.

I purchased 6 generic 91/30 mosins over 4 months and ended up with one that stood out as a great shooter. Mostly cause the bore was in great shape. Sold a few of the 6 which were not "unique".

IMO the best "scopable" Milsurp which will yeild both accuracy as well as no gunsmith (no drill) scope mount which won't devalue the rifle or leave any scratches on it is the K31. 1-2" @ 100 yards EASILY with a scope and surplus GP11 or soft point hunting rounds from PPU. You don't need to do a trigger mod to it. Even with stock sights, its as good as the eyes and hands of the shooter.

For anyone that wants to "fiddle" with their mosin for accuracy. Here is the Smith Sights article.
    http://www.smith-sights.com/accurizing-the-mosin-nagant-a-year-later.php

ebay has 2 stage springs also (a washer and a spring). If you want to sell the Mosin and return it to original condition, just pull the stuff off if you like.

Josh Smith

Aug 10, 2010
    Ok,
    Starting with this video from NuttnFancy (got time to waste waiting for more snow to fall?)?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7DrsW3cyFA
    (don't shoot the messenger when you see him tapping the receiver)

Some good info that MAY convince people to NOT bubba the Mosin.

I'm sure he's spent alot of time on this, as he says, I do find some things I disagree only from my limited experience though. Some of it from things I've done (temporary scout scope for my dad which I later reverted back to stock as well as conversations with people's experiences at the Range)
    But there is ALOT of truth in this video. Especially how he pretty much comes to the conclusion that bubbafication to compare to a modern bolt action rifle is a waste of time.

Some things I agree are:
    1) Scout mounts lose zero very often
    2) Mounting optics is problematic in general
    3) If you keep it stock and shoot the surplus, you will be good to go.
    4) Most Mosin issues are feeding issues
    5) Accuracy from mosin to mosin varries. (If you don't take a mosin that is already accurate, you may be starting with a foundation that will not make you happy in the end)
    6) Bad stock trigger
    7) Archangle stock adds reliability issues

Some things I disagree or he did not cover are
    1) Standard surplus is pretty accurate. Well, I'd say the surplus has about 10% fliers. 2-4MOA from my Mosin Sniper vs. 1-1.5MOA from PPU if I take a 5 shot group AND let it cool between
    2) Mine and my Dad's Ruger american got 2MOA with almost all factory ammo. Not the 4MOA he mentioned.
    3) (reserved space to add more).

Maybe if anyone thinking of Bubbafication of a Mosin watches this video he/she will change their mind.

My recommendation, if you want a "project" just get the mosin, shoot it first. Maybe do the heat shrink trick on the front sight to get it to zero. Think later to follow the accurization from smith-sights.com using thier little $15 kit. Beyond that, you want a more accurate Mosin, you might as well just get a Mosin Sniper. Mosin + archagle stock + Scope mount + scope + trigger + bent bolt, you pretty much there already. Oh wait, the bore is frosty and the muzzle is all worn down, your toast. Many of the bores/muzzles of the Snipers were already taken care of.

Happy trails.

Hello,

I'm not going to watch that whole vid. However, I'll address your points.

1. Depends on the scout scope and mount. Some designs are far better than others.

2. I've never really seen a problem mounting optics, though I agree that the rifle is not set up for it. Of course, I prefer iron sights.

3. ... or handloads. Handloads are best.

4. Most feeding issues are easily fixed.

5. Most Mosins which have not been cleaned to death have excellent accuracy potential.

6. The stock trigger varies. If you're talking stock refurb Russian, then generally yes. If you're talking non-refurb Russian, then maybe. If you're talking Finnish, then you'll probably have an excellent trigger.

7. I've not messed with the Archangel stock as I prefer the wood stock.

<snip>

1. Remember that the rifling twist is 1:9.5", optimized for 174 grain to 200 grain loads.

2. The Ruger American and a properly inletted, good bored (new!) Mosin are about the same. Problem is that there are no new Mosins!

Regards,

Josh

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Bubba is back...

7f8bc9e91b9159fe632fb6e099c6bc7b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    I could never bring myself to bubba my Mosin unless something awful happened to the stock or my head. Mine seems like a pretty straight shooter.

That said, Mosins do make really cool looking bubba'ed guns.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Bad barrel... really bad barrel. It's a $109 jg sales mosin with no history. You think that what I did to the Mosin is bad, you should see what I am doing to a Ferrari.

34cdddef7c0aea627919766a6933415a.jpg

bd2cf3b5efe514d2841a09bf3887e5e3.jpg

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    Bad barrel... really bad barrel. It's a $109 jg sales mosin with no history. You think that what I did to the Mosin is bad, you should see what I am doing to a Ferrari.

34cdddef7c0aea627919766a6933415a.jpg

bd2cf3b5efe514d2841a09bf3887e5e3.jpg

Meh, I feel nothing for Ferraris. Frankenstein away!

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    Closest thing to a bubba job I did was I bought a 1944 ex-sniper I got at a show in Winchester, had all matching but all EP numbers. I also had a CAI repro sniper I bought from Lou years back. Well I used the scope and mount from the repro to resniper the 1944. I really enjoyed that project and made a really good looking and accurate rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom