• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Up_in_BoCo

Dedicated plinker
    Oct 22, 2014
    HZ
    They had a pretty good Pit Beef sandwich. Not much to the location, just sandwiches, chips, and bottled sodas.

Owner was nice, sat outside and talked with us as we ate.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    Tried Habaneros for lunch today for the first time. Really good, with decent portions for the money. Lunch specials included soft drinks.

By the way, noticed that Main St. BBQ seemed to be put of business and/or under renovation.

Rambler

Oct 22, 2011
    I visited Westminster for a concert. The kids wanted Mexican food. Well, Habaneros is out of business. So, we tried Papa Joe's. Apparently it is a Westminster institution and well regarded by some... It was incredibly underwhelming.

Here is my too long review:
    We got there right before the dinner rush when they were not busy at all, yet each and every step took way too long from getting menus, chips and salsa?(more on that), drinks, order placed, food received, "check back", bill, bill paid etc.
    As to the food, the chips were nearly flavorless and completely unsalted, totally unlike any chips I have ever had in a restaurant. The salsa was a watery green liquid virtually absent of any seasoning or even taste whatsoever. There were 5 of us who each got something different. The dishes were all visually appealing but also strangely under-seasoned and tasteless. The fajitas were served in a cream based wine sauce; I am puzzled at this. The "authentic" tamales came with a green tomatillo salsa that was also strangely nearly tasteless. There were no hot sauce bottles on our table or any other tables for that matter. We were seated near the bus station in the back and there was no hot sauce staged there with the sweeteners and s&p either. There were other oddities that seemed out of place given the prices. The salsas and even the beans and rice sides were served in small, flimsy, disposable plastic dishes. My fork appeared to be dirty, but was actually so worn that the 2 tone effect on the tines was due to the plating having worn away from the base metal. The silverware was wrapped in a large napkin of which there was a huge stack on the bus station. However, when we asked for extra napkins, we were given a few of the tiny rectangles that normally are used in tabletop dispensers of which there were none. The line to be seated got longer while we were there yet the wait staff seemed to have no hustle at all. They could easily have turned tables faster simply by working even walking faster.
    I am amazed that this place stays busy. Although they claim to be authentic, it was the most bland and mediocre Mexican food I have yet encountered.

Rambler

Oct 22, 2011
    Now for a very positive review. A couple of weeks ago, I was picking my daughter up in Westminster to go home for Easter. We needed a quick lunch before hitting the road. I had been wanting to try Molli's Cafe which is owned by MS member Beef Cube. Molli's is a breakfast and lunch place quite near the courthouse. There was a steady stream of people coming in to pick up catering and to go orders (the deviled eggs looked really good!) as well as ones like us eating in. There were many choices for breakfast and lunch items including hot dogs with nice topping combos, breakfast sandwiches (with waffles as a bread option!) We both got Italian cold cuts on sub rolls. The house Italian dressing on the side was excellent by the way. Chips and glass bottled sodas completed the meals. The sandwiches were generously made from excellent quality cold cuts and the portions were generous such that we each took a half to go.
    It was nice meeting the owners as well and we will be back to try the great looking waffle breakfast sandwiches.

Last edited:

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    I didn't know Mollis was owned by one of ours. I'll have to make a point of going there now.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    We've had a good lunch at Molli's before. A few others are Top Nosh by the emissions place. MJ's Cafe in Manchester has also been very good.

If one wants Mexican Luna Zul in Hampstead has been good although service can be a bit hit or miss.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Luna Zul is garbage IMHO. Owned by the same people as Habeneros and ran that into the ground. The best food in Manchester/Hampstead is at Fratelli’s. MJ’s cafe is a good spot also if they are open when you are around. If you want some great BBQ then go to Outlaw in downtown Hampstead. Absolutely the best wings you’ll ever eat.

plumberone

Aug 26, 2013
    Millers, Maryland
    Another vote for Outlaw barbecue in Hampstead.
    If your in Westminster for lunch try Giulianova Groceria for an Itialian cold cut.
    In Manchester get your lunch at Millers Market.

Beefcube

Sammich King
    Mar 15, 2011
    Westminster
    Thank you for the great review Rambler. Was good to meet you, sometimes I'm not too busy to talk.

My go to for Mexican is Los Aztecas in Eldersburg, or Del Huerto right in Westminster for quick and easy.

I'm good friends with Outlaw and eat there a lot outside. Retired LEO and a dining room hopefully in a year.

Mediterraneo is my crabcake spot.... ask for Vesuvius, a crabcake surrounded by shrimp over linguine. Right below the college.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    ...Papa Joe's...

.... the chips were nearly flavorless and completely unsalted
    Papa Joe's new ad campaig: 'We used to be good'.

As for the chips, they're based on 2 people, and when my wife was there a while ago, they wanted to charge an extra dollar as they were a party of 3. :sad20:

... Molli's Cafe ...
    I have to make it a point to get over there. Maybe an MDS lunch . :innocent0

I didn't know Mollis was owned by one of ours. I'll have to make a point of going there now.
    :thumbsup:

We've had a good lunch at Molli's before. A few others are Top Nosh by the emissions place. MJ's Cafe in Manchester has also been very good.
    Top Nosh is very good. :thumbsup:

The best food in Manchester/Hampstead is at Fratelli’s.
    Yes. Yes it is.

Another vote for Outlaw barbecue in Hampstead.
    + 1

... Del Huerto right in Westminster for quick and easy.
    The place off/near John Street? I will have to check it out. Sound like it might be similar to the place next to BBPawn.

We like Ying Thai, which has bona fide broasted chicken, and good SEB (:D)
    food as well.

Used to be Clementine's - a schlock store - (I think).

https://www.yingthaicuisine.com/

Beefcube

Sammich King
    Mar 15, 2011
    Westminster
    Yes... Del Huerto is great. You can shop, do laundry and eat great tacos, burritos in one stop......

We only have 9 seats at Molli's but we will make a luncheon happen, no problem.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Well Top Nosh is closing so that's off the table.

The wife and I were looking at lunch spots yesterday. Ended up at Mollies and it was good food and service once again. She and I usually do lunch once a week and she's a bit colder to MJ's than I am and with Top Nosh closing we will likely add Mollies to our rotation a bit more.

Beefcube

Sammich King
    Mar 15, 2011
    Westminster
    Well Top Nosh is closing so that's off the table.

The wife and I were looking at lunch spots yesterday. Ended up at Mollies and it was good food and service once again. She and I usually do lunch once a week and she's a bit colder to MJ's than I am and with Top Nosh closing we will likely add Mollies to our rotation a bit more.

Thank you so much....
    I'm always making sandwiches but get my attention next time.

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    I heard Del Huerto was amazing, but I've also learned that Carroll County ppl don't know good food, so I take it for what it is until I try it.

jspero

Aug 6, 2009
    One Foot Out The Door
    I heard Del Huerto was amazing, but I've also learned that Carroll County ppl don't know good food, so I take it for what it is until I try it.

People in CC are clueless about good food of any sort. Restaurants in Westminster are underwhelming for the most part, but there are some hidden gems.

Agree with the sentiments about Papa Joe's. Over priced, under performing. And stingy with the chips and salsa. I've been meaning to try Del Huerto. Hopefully not another disappointment.

I have never had good Chinese food in Westminster (I've had real Chinese food at home and in China). You need to basically leave the area for that. Forbidden City used to have a few good dishes, but like their neighbor are too expensive (over $10 for a lunch box???) and not all that good.

If you have not given them a try, check out the Tim Thai on Main across from the library. Tim is a good guy and cooks at this location. Ying's is OK, but I prefer Tim's place.

I saw there is a Sushi Q open in where Papa Joe's used to be. If they are as good as the Reisterstown location, W finally got a good sushi place. Hopefully someone has been there and can give us a review if they are open yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom