• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Got this back from Alderman Dacey today in response to my NRA call to action e-mail:
    Thank you for your email. As a strong supporter of the 2nd Amendment, I appreciate the good work that the Cresap Rifle Club does in our community. I support the operation of the Rifle Club at its current location. I am encouraging the Mayor to find a solution that will allow the Club to continue full operations at this location.

Thank you for your advocacy. You and all those who have emailed on behalf of the Club have an ally in me.

Phil Dacey

Here's hoping he's true to his word and that others in the city are too. Sounds like there are a lot of people e-mailing them.

tmd99

Aug 22, 2015
    Frederick
    Got this back from Alderman Dacey today in response to my NRA call to action e-mail:

Here's hoping he's true to his word and that others in the city are too. Sounds like there are a lot of people e-mailing them.

thanks for your support!!! i think mds calls and emails are making a difference. Public ranges in Maryland are too important to disappear and your support in this cause is appreciated.

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    I got the same email tonight from Alderman Dacey. I was kinda surprised being that I'm not a Frederick resident. Hopefully it will bring CRESAP a good result. Tmd99 I'm curious on how's the members handling the closing? Have they lost any members? I never looked into becoming a member there so I don't know what is required but I would assume with the closing there might be some members leaving or not renewing?

tmd99

Aug 22, 2015
    Frederick
    I got the same email tonight from Alderman Dacey. I was kinda surprised being that I'm not a Frederick resident. Hopefully it will bring CRESAP a good result. Tmd99 I'm curious on how's the members handling the closing? Have they lost any members? I never looked into becoming a member there so I don't know what is required but I would assume with the closing there might be some members leaving or not renewing?

Cresap is holding strong. if anyone is interested in membership i would encourage contacting the club. I dont want to speak out of turn but i believe the club is always open to new and experienced shooters being part of the cause and contributing to the public's enjoyment of safety, training and enjoyment of firearms. Plus, it is enjoyable to talk to all you guys who come shoot on Sundays and about your experiences, equipment and stories and seeing you all pass on your traditions to your families and friends. Cant be beat! Thanks again for your support and hope to see you at the range soon!

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    Thanks for that update and I'm glad the membership is staying strong! I always felt becoming a member wasn't beneficial to myself as I've always worked most Saturdays with my 6 day work week. Sundays open to the public was perfect for me.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Everyone at Cresap is very appreciative of the concern/support that people have shown over the last 90 days here. The club hopes to have some information to put out soon. Members of Cresap have not been commenting because this matter is in litigation and the club has attempted to negotiate in good faith with City officials.

Hopefully Cresap can work this out and stay open. I hope the leadership of the range also notices the reasons why many members of the 2a community were NOT interested in helping out and change they way they do some things. If Cresap is going to survive in the long term they need to shed the "abusive range nazi's" reputation.

Last edited:

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    If Cresap is going to survive in the long term they need to shed the "abusive range nazi's" reputation.

IDK, I've been there on weekends when its crowded and there is a line. The only times Ive seen RSOs get stern is when people deserved it. When its crowded, you cannot just let knuckleheads be or youll end up with a bigger problem.

The RSOs have always been pleasant and helpful to me.

People make the same complaints about AGC and some other places. Its not just someone's backyard.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I've seen much unneeded abuse at cresap that's why I don't shoot there anymore. I've seen brand new shooters reduced to tears by a rampaging RO when a few kind words and directions would have sufficed. We as the 2a community need to grow our numbers and that will only happen through outreach and training. I did not have any problems at cresap but after watching how they treated those new shooters a few lanes down I will not and can not support them.

AGC suffered from the same problems for years but they got their act together and membership went up accordingly. Once again though they have one or two bad apples on the RO staff that are starting to hurt membership. Time will tell if this will become a serious decline or just a blip.

I'm not looking to make this a bash cresap or agc or any other range thread. I'm pointing out that actions have consequences. If local ranges cannot maintain and grow support from the surrounding communities they will slowly disappear. You will catch a lot more flies with honey than with piss and vinegar. RO's are not only the primary safety monitors they are also the ranges ambassadors to the shooting public and need to act according.

If members of the 2a community who normally spend their free time lobby legislators and fighting for 2a rights in general are uninterested in supporting a local range because of that ranges behavior how can we expect others to?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Membership is up at AGC, but I think that's because you can now shoot steel and holster draw. They are also golding 3-gun matches and practices.

Also, I know that some people have been dinged and even lost badges at AGC recently, so I know the rules are being enforced.

tmd99

Aug 22, 2015
    Frederick
    Sitrep: Cresap has been cleared to open the 10-yard pistol line on Saturdays and Sundays. Because it is only half the pistol range, Cresap is waiting to open to the public until either the full pistol-side or full rifle-side (or the entire range) has been approved by City authorities for re-opening. Right now, the 10-yard line is open to members only on weekends (hopefully this will be a short duration before range can open to public). There have been rumors circulating that Cresap has resumed full operations, but this is inaccurate and Cresap will keep trying to keep everyone posted of the situation. Cresap has submitted a proposal and is awaiting response from the City to reopen the entire range, and hopefully Cresap will hear something soon from City officials. Nothing in this post is intended to express, imply, or concede any deficiency in Cresap's range or any alleged safety issues but simply is a status update of Cresap's good-faith efforts to work with the City to allow the members and the public to shoot again with the least amount of disruption to exercising their Second Amendment rights. Again, thank you for your support and Cresap will have more information hopefully very soon.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Sitrep: Cresap has been cleared to open the 10-yard pistol line on Saturdays and Sundays. Because it is only half the pistol range, Cresap is waiting to open to the public until either the full pistol-side or full rifle-side (or the entire range) has been approved by City authorities for re-opening. Right now, the 10-yard line is open to members only on weekends (hopefully this will be a short duration before range can open to public). There have been rumors circulating that Cresap has resumed full operations, but this is inaccurate and Cresap will keep trying to keep everyone posted of the situation. Cresap has submitted a proposal and is awaiting response from the City to reopen the entire range, and hopefully Cresap will hear something soon from City officials. Nothing in this post is intended to express, imply, or concede any deficiency in Cresap's range or any alleged safety issues but simply is a status update of Cresap's good-faith efforts to work with the City to allow the members and the public to shoot again with the least amount of disruption to exercising their Second Amendment rights. Again, thank you for your support and Cresap will have more information hopefully very soon.

Thanks for the update! I hope you guys are fully open again in the near future. Need to see if my front-stuffer is still zeroed and most ranges around me that are open to the public won't allow BP firing.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I hope they are shut down FOREVER.

They were quite possibly running the worst range I have ever shot at: inconsistent with the enforcement of policy, range officials that were more interested in demonstrating their authority than keeping people safe, and extremely limited hours.

Del Marva was so much better back when I was in Maryland.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    I hope they are shut down FOREVER.

They were quite possibly running the worst range I have ever shot at: inconsistent with the enforcement of policy, range officials that were more interested in demonstrating their authority than keeping people safe, and extremely limited hours.

Del Marva was so much better back when I was in Maryland.

We get it... You HATE CRESAP.... :rolleyes:

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    We get it... You HATE CRESAP.... :rolleyes:

LOL It's probably OK to hate Cresap but wanting to see it shut-down forever? Seems a bit harsh. One less public range in the area just gives indoor ranges , like HTC and TMGN, more of a duopoly in the Frederick market. Having Cresap open to the public one day per week is/was a nice alternative to paying $20-25 per hour to shoot, even if you sometimes had to put-up with the occasional over-zealous, Barney Fife-like RSO. It was a roll of the dice. I never got hassled on the pistol line and I only shot on the rifle line a couple of times before finding a better place to zero-in.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I think JMintzer was also teasing MarkP because he used to always bring up his dislike for Cresap. There were a series of three MarkP threads (or more) that Norton closed after Mark went after them after getting banned from Cresap. If I remember correctly, early in one thread, he was very complementary about the range before getting banned.

I think there was upsetness at Cresap not allowing AR-15/223/556 pistols to be used on the pistol side of the range as well as their NFA policy. Cresap, being a private facility that can be strictly monitored by their landlord, Frederick City, did not want to deal with NFA items on their public shoot days.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    I think there was upsetness at Cresap not allowing AR-15/223/556 pistols to be used on the pistol side of the range as well as their NFA policy. Cresap, being a private facility that can be strictly monitored by their landlord, Frederick City, did not want to deal with NFA items on their public shoot days.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Never made any sense to me why they wouldn't allow suppressors.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Never made any sense to me why they wouldn't allow suppressors.

I can understand it. That one Sunday a week that they're open to the public means you get a lot of guys and gals that go there just to sight in the same deer rifle they've had since 1962 and have the misconception that anything not made exclusively of wood and steel and loud as hell is inherently more dangerous than their deer-blaster. If you get those guys there on the same day as Johnny Suppressor User they're likely going to question the legality of it, say bad things, make concern-citizen calls, write letters to the editor, yada yada yada. There's an image they have to maintain to keep the landlord happy with them, especially with the five-oh right next door.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    I can understand it. That one Sunday a week that they're open to the public means you get a lot of guys and gals that go there just to sight in the same deer rifle they've had since 1962 and have the misconception that anything not made exclusively of wood and steel and loud as hell is inherently more dangerous than their deer-blaster. If you get those guys there on the same day as Johnny Suppressor User they're likely going to question the legality of it, say bad things, make concern-citizen calls, write letters to the editor, yada yada yada. There's an image they have to maintain to keep the landlord happy with them, especially with the five-oh right next door.

My deer "blaster" has a suppressor on it! :D

SWI

May 4, 2017
    This subject comes up once or twice a year. A member makes a motion and we vote on it. I think the biggest concern is that we can't and don't want to check the paperwork for the can. We don't check any paperwork anyway and have no interest in starting, I believe most who vote against it just don't want the possible hassle that it might bring. On another note. We recently were the target of a theft, the Maggot cut our gate fence and rolled it back and climbed in. Whoever it was stole a rather expensive reactive target. The reason I'm mentioning this is because we have installed cameras, two very obvious and the others hidden. Before anyone gets too excited over this, at this time the cameras are temporary, the membership will be polled about leaving them up but I doubt they will be left up when we reopen. I would appreciate some feedback on this. Do you have a problem with being on video at a range?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom