• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I recall seeing it posted somewhere regarding suppressing an AK or something, but wanted to pass this along. I bought 2 boxes of subsonic 7.62 x39 ammo to tinker with in my Yugo SKS with the gas valve shut off. I will test a couple to see IF they cycle, but got them for using with gas off. They are 150 gr JSP. $32 per box of 20. Expensive, but the only subsonice 7.62 x39 I could find anywhere. Name of the place is Detroit Ammo Co.

Attachments

• 20150812_172330.jpg
      20150812_172330.jpg
      54.9 KB · Views: 564
    • 20150812_172444.jpg
      20150812_172444.jpg
      52.6 KB · Views: 674

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I recall seeing it posted somewhere regarding suppressing an AK or something, but wanted to pass this along. I bought 2 boxes of subsonic 7.62 x39 ammo to tinker with in my Yugo SKS with the gas valve shut off. I will test a couple to see IF they cycle, but got them for using with gas off. They are 150 gr JSP. $32 per box of 20. Expensive, but the only subsonice 7.62 x39 I could find anywhere. Name of the place is Detroit Ammo Co.

How many feet per second on that ammo? What can are you going to use on the SKS? And if you have not already done so, double check that the threads on the barrel is concentric with the bore. The threads were not on one of my AK's.

Ranb

Aug 4, 2015
    I don't think I would ever buy subsonic center fire ammo even if it was the same price as loading my own. I hear too many complaints about how it is often too slow (<1000 fps) to ensure it stays subsonic in most guns.

Loading your own is the way to go. A chronograph is required for good results. Hope this stuff works well for you. Please get back with some velocity data if you can. :)

Ranb

Sirex