• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    1 rear pocket clip next to my wallet, 1 on my belt 4 O'clock. Unless I have space I would not reach for either, but try and control the space by move and evade or rush the attack depending on the situation and then get to my weapon. I have had no formal training, but IMHO standing and concentrating on drawing a weapon while someone is attacking seems a good way to hurt.

JRILE

Jan 9, 2011
    Rising Sun, MD
    Am I the only one who carries his knife on his off-hand pocket? I'd prefer it in my left hand if i ever had to use it in a defensive situation, since my left is faster, and my right it better for clobberin'.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    Am I the only one who carries his knife on his off-hand pocket? I'd prefer it in my left hand if i ever had to use it in a defensive situation, since my left is faster, and my right it better for clobberin'.

You're not the only one. Gun on right side. If my right hand is in the fight, the gun will be in it, not the knife.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    If I could get a permit I'd do that too.

Hopefully one day soon! I'd love to ask one of our elected gun banning morons what they think of the growing number of states allowing CCW? Then again, from past experience, it is very hard to use logic and reasoning against that mentality.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I'm a deep concealment type and I don't like to tip my hand in any way. Lately it's been this one riding freestyle in my pocket.

Attachments

• image-484437026.jpg
      image-484437026.jpg
      52.3 KB · Views: 186

Dooga

Dec 5, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Funny story: didn't know my meeting at the Wilson Center was in the Ronald Reagan Building, a secure site. I revealed my Spyderco folder and they told me I couldn't bring it in. Luckily, the guards and the people around me were cool so everyone said, "hide it in a plant or in the bushes outside, you don't want to lose your knife" I did, in a big potted plant, and it was there, albeit muddy from a light rain, 120 minutes later. The guard threw me a wave and a smile. Inconvenient but ultimately a good story and good experience. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329060335.648495.jpg

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    that was cool of them

Funny story: didn't know my meeting at the Wilson Center was in the Ronald Reagan Building, a secure site. I revealed my Spyderco folder and they told me I couldn't bring it in. Luckily, the guards and the people around me were cool so everyone said, "hide it in a plant or in the bushes outside, you don't want to lose your knife" I did, in a big potted plant, and it was there, albeit muddy from a light rain, 120 minutes later. The guard threw me a wave and a smile. Inconvenient but ultimately a good story and good experience. View attachment 52461

I'm sure its not special treatment, but TSA let me mail mine back to myself when I forgot to put it in my checked back down at the Orlando Intl. Airport. It was just a Swiss army, so I opted to toss it in their confiscated bin and not hold up the line anymore or slow my progress to the plane.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    strong side Jacket pocket this time of year

jacketless, strong side tip up front pants pocket, its a emerson commander, I don't use it to cut anything, because its for protection. I usually have knives for utility laying around in my vehicles, desk at work, etc instead of carrying an addn one.

JRILE

Jan 9, 2011
    Rising Sun, MD
    I'm sure its not special treatment, but TSA let me mail mine back to myself when I forgot to put it in my checked back down at the Orlando Intl. Airport. It was just a Swiss army, so I opted to toss it in their confiscated bin and not hold up the line anymore or slow my progress to the plane.

My dad took one of MY knives to the airport, threw it away while he was in the security line, then told on himself and TSA interrogated him in front of everyone for like 20 minutes. Priceless.

Dooga

Dec 5, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    I never thought it was special treatment, I was just happy to be treated not like a criminal and like someone who forgot to leave his folding knife in the car before he entered a secure building. It reminds me that most folks are sane and friendly, even security guards.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Dooga said:
    I never thought it was special treatment, I was just happy to be treated not like a criminal and like someone who forgot to leave his folding knife in the car before he entered a secure building. It reminds me that most folks are sane and friendly, even security guards.

You were very lucky. I accidentally forgot a knife in a bag several years back and was charged by citation at BWI and issued a civil penalty of $500 by the DHS. Cost me around $1000 by the time it was all said and done in attorney fees.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    No good deed goes unpunished...lol

My dad took one of MY knives to the airport, threw it away while he was in the security line, then told on himself and TSA interrogated him in front of everyone for like 20 minutes. Priceless.
    I'm sure it wasn't too funny at the time for your dad, but I hope he's able to laugh with you about it now.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    Ouch!

You were very lucky. I accidentally forgot a knife in a bag several years back and was charged by citation at BWI and issued a civil penalty of $500 by the DHS. Cost me around $1000 by the time it was all said and done in attorney fees.

Maybe the time period was a little closer to 911, it was a rather large knife, or you just got the one jack*ss that has to enforce the rules to the letter?... whatever the circumstances, that sucks, I'll consider myself lucky and forewarned in the future to double check my bags.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    todbiker said:
    Maybe the time period was a little closer to 911, it was a rather large knife, or you just got the one jack*ss that has to enforce the rules to the letter?... whatever the circumstances, that sucks, I'll consider myself lucky and forewarned in the future to double check my bags.

It was a balisong in 2005 and was a true accident. I was allowed to continue my flight though. The civil penalty by DHS was non-contestable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom