• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigpapa

Enthusiast
    Apr 18, 2011
    MD
    I was in a class many years ago, in the class many if not all carried a folding knife in a pocket. The knife was either in a pocket or clipped to the inside of a pocket. The instructor gave a demonstration on why both ways were not good options. Since that class I always wore it as suggested, angle clipped in my front waist band. I don’t even notice it there.

Again that was many years ago and I still prefer to carry in this manner and was curious how others carried?

Not in my pocket :D

Attachments

• knife.jpg
      knife.jpg
      9.7 KB · Views: 3,151

Bigpapa

Enthusiast
    Apr 18, 2011
    MD
    In my back right pants' pocket, within quick reach of my dominant hand. I think it has its pluses and minuses. Good: within easy reach, comfortable. Bad: easier location to be pick-pocketed, not entirely concealed since the clip is sometimes visible depending on clothing.

What do you mean by angle clipped?

Just clipped in side my front waist band angled along the belt line.

mlance238

Mar 30, 2011
    Do you recall why your instructor didn't recommend in-the-pocket or clipped in a pocket? Or the reasons why carrying in front is better? Thanks.

Bigpapa

Enthusiast
    Apr 18, 2011
    MD
    There were several people in the class myself included wearing the knife clipped inside a pocket. As training went on the instructor would without notice remove the knife from a student, advertising the clip lead it to be used on you or anyone else, or just stolen. Next…again without notice while other training was going on the instructor approached from behind pinning your arms to your side pulling you to the ground. With the knife in your pocket or clipped to a pocket, your range of motion could not get to it. Now, same example with knife in the waist band...the range of motion from my elbows down allowed extraction of the knife and be used on assailants arms and lower extremities. I’m sure there is no perfect way to carry and be prepared for every situation and seeing the example played out in real time was more impactful for me to change. I am sure there are cons to this carry as well, as I am not by any means a tactical expert. I was interested in others reasons for carrying the way they do.

Bigpapa

Enthusiast
    Apr 18, 2011
    MD
    You get that AR together yet??

We did get it done over the weekend. She had a great time putting it together and the Spikes enhanced lpk is sweet! Need to get to AGC soon so she can test fire and sight.

mlance238

Mar 30, 2011
    There were several people in the class myself included wearing the knife clipped inside a pocket. As training went on the instructor would without notice remove the knife from a student, advertising the clip lead it to be used on you or anyone else, or just stolen. Next…again without notice while other training was going on the instructor approached from behind pinning your arms to your side pulling you to the ground. With the knife in your pocket or clipped to a pocket, your range of motion could not get to it. Now, same example with knife in the waist band...the range of motion from my elbows down allowed extraction of the knife and be used on assailants arms and lower extremities. I’m sure there is no perfect way to carry and be prepared for every situation and seeing the example played out in real time was more impactful for me to change. I am sure there are cons to this carry as well, as I am not by any means a tactical expert. I was interested in others reasons for carrying the way they do.

Thanks, very valid points! :thumbsup:

smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    If you are not aware enough to let someone get up behind you and pin your arms and take you down, then you have more problems than where your knife is located. Just saying.....

mlance238

Mar 30, 2011
    If you are not aware enough to let someone get up behind you and pin your arms and take you down, then you have more problems than where your knife is located. Just saying.....

Really difficult to be this aware, at all times, IMO. Being in a crowd of almost any size makes this level of awareness nearly impossible.

I think your larger point is still very true: situational awareness is your first defense.

Bigpapa

Enthusiast
    Apr 18, 2011
    MD

I also agree to situational awareness, but everyone including you can be caught unaware. When you think or if you think it could never happen to you...you're screwed!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom