• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NathanJ

Ultimate Member
    Mar 18, 2010
    Salisbury Maryland
    Yesterday I found the SOG Fasthawk at Walmart for $20.

SOG-Fasthawk-F06T-N-600x500.jpg

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    I also have a Sog and gave two away for a Karma gift, yes liked them that much.

Something else to think about is the Ku Kri, which will cut down a tree and dismantle the branches but still stay sharp enough to cut vegetables at the table also use as a spatula, fly swatter, after cleaning of course.

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/fox-outdoor-machete-kukri-black.aspx?a=287027

View attachment 47208

+2 on the Khukri Machete; I've seen vids of indians beheading cows with one to two chops with one of those.

That said, which brand is that? I know the true ghurka models for over $100

marko12

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay
    +2 on the Khukri Machete; I've seen vids of indians beheading cows with one to two chops with one of those.

That said, which brand is that? I know the true ghurka models for over $100

Honestly, I went to the site Dave MP attached but the handles looked a little uncomfortable and the prices were a little steep but when I got to the shipping costs WTF ? I factored it all in and thought better of buying from them, instead I went to BUDK and bought three for less than one of theirs.

http://budk.com/Knives/United-Colombian-Sawback-Kukri-With-Sheath?foundby=cross-sell-home

I paid $19.99 for the one cutting a bell pepper in the picture and believe me it is solid. The handle is comfortable, the hand protector works, and the sheath isn't cheap at all. I also got a Smith & Wesson Outback KuKri for $29.99. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member

Good call as that one feels very quick, nice in the hand...well, except for the slippery grip. I fixed that by tying 10 pieces of black kangaroo leather lace into the recessed channels of the handle, providing more friction for the grip and a tactile indicator as to whether the edge or spike faces forward. That plus a wrist thong and an edge hone and it was all good to go.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.

Good call as that one feels very quick, nice in the hand...well, except for the slippery grip. I fixed that by tying 10 pieces of black kangaroo leather lace into the recessed channels of the handle, providing more friction for the grip and a tactile indicator as to whether the edge or spike faces forward. That plus a wrist thong and an edge hone and it was all good to go.

Big O rings work too but will leave you no indicator .

Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    Just picked up a smith and Wesson tomahawk on amazon about 60 bucks. Anyone have one some of the reviews claim they are heavy as Hawks go

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Honestly, I went to the site Dave MP attached but the handles looked a little uncomfortable and the prices were a little steep but when I got to the shipping costs WTF ? I factored it all in and thought better of buying from them, instead I went to BUDK and bought three for less than one of theirs.

http://budk.com/Knives/United-Colombian-Sawback-Kukri-With-Sheath?foundby=cross-sell-home

I paid $19.99 for the one cutting a bell pepper in the picture and believe me it is solid. The handle is comfortable, the hand protector works, and the sheath isn't cheap at all. I also got a Smith & Wesson Outback KuKri for $29.99. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

They're nice for the money, but i have the same problem with them as i do my gerber parang. The cross-section of the blade is all wrong because they're stamped out of sheet-steel. Traditional parangs and traditional kukris both have much more mass along the spine that thins out in a nice organic taper. The extra mass and thickness make for better weight distribution and enhance the splitting/chopping capabilities of the traditional style. A well-made, old-style kukri or parang can both really be the most versatile survival tools you can have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom