• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike215

Feb 11, 2009
    Can I carry an automatic knife OPENLY in Maryland? I am in montgomery county.

Thanks in advance, as usual.

Mike

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    I think automatic knives are banned in MD altogether.

You can conceal carry a folding knife, and open carry a fixed knife so long as it doesn't interfere with local laws.

May 25, 2009
    I think it's undecided and unclear how legal it is.

I think it's clear however that it's a bad idea. Even if it's legal, odds are LEOs won't know/care and it will be more trouble than it's probably worth. A good manual folder is just as fast with a bit of practice. I'm partial to Cold Steel and Kershaw knives, but some people like Spydercos, Benchmades and other brands. Look around, try some out and find one that's fast and comfortable in your pocket. Nothing worse than buying a $150 knife only to find out it digs into your leg when you sit down or bangs against you as you walk.

BondJamesBond

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2009
    I was told by a buddy who is a county officer(pg) that spring assisted knives that are OTF(out the front) are illegal but a spring assisted folder is considered the same as a manual folder. I for one carry a spring assisted pro-tech tanto spring loaded runs about $120-200 depending on dealer here's a link to where I ordered from one stop knives
    http://www.1sks.com/store/protech-tr1-tactical-response-1.html#

I can't imagine that carrying an OTF in your pants pocket would EVER be a good idea! OUCH!

Otter

Sep 25, 2009
    The SOG Flash II is a great low cost every day carry blade with an outstanding assisted opening function and completely legal in MD.

http://tinyurl.com/26s33d9

I own other more expensive knives both assisted opening and automatic but I carry this one because it works well and it won't break the bank if it gets lost ;)

Feb 16, 2010
    lanham, MD
    The SOG Flash II is a great low cost every day carry blade with an outstanding assisted opening function and completely legal in MD.

http://tinyurl.com/26s33d9

I own other more expensive knives both assisted opening and automatic but I carry this one because it works well and it won't break the bank if it gets lost ;)

I haven't clicked on the link yet but I have seen other less expensive assisted open knives and notices that the safety/ release buttons are plastic and protrude alot and figured they would possably become unsafe. What can you tell me about your experience witht he one you mentioned above.

BondJamesBond

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2009
    Thats why I didn't even consider one of those the model that I baught was spring assisted out the side. Just like a folder but a hundred times faster deployment of it blade.

Talk about your 2 second circumcision! It's what The Greaseman would have called a dooddadectomy.

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    I think it's undecided and unclear how legal it is.

I think it's clear however that it's a bad idea. Even if it's legal, odds are LEOs won't know/care and it will be more trouble than it's probably worth. A good manual folder is just as fast with a bit of practice. I'm partial to Cold Steel and Kershaw knives, but some people like Spydercos, Benchmades and other brands. Look around, try some out and find one that's fast and comfortable in your pocket. Nothing worse than buying a $150 knife only to find out it digs into your leg when you sit down or bangs against you as you walk.

This. I prefer Cold Steel myself. I have the 5" tanto Gunsite. Less than $100 shipped from CTD.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    A good manual folder is just as fast with a bit of practice.
    There isn't a manual folder, switchblade or spring assist deployment kinfe made that deploys faster than the Emerson knives featuring the patented "wave" opening feature. (I believe that Spyderco has purchased the rights to use it on some of their knives too.) In my opinion, there isn't a nastier combat folder than the Emerson Karambit. It's lightning fast, (deploys as you pull it out of your pocket) it's automatically in your hand in a combat grip, and you can't really drop it because your finger is looped into it. To top it off, the blade is short enough that it meets or beats laws that govern blade length on pocket folders. Love it!

Emerson-KARAMBIT-BT-rw-10604-26069.jpg

It solves the problem (to me anyway) of wanting to carry a switchblade - it's perfectly legal, and it's a great design if you are looking for a self-defense knife to carry.

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    There isn't a manual folder, switchblade or spring assist deployment kinfe made that deploys faster than the Emerson knives featuring the patented "wave" opening feature. (I believe that Spyderco has purchased the rights to use it on some of their knives too.) In my opinion, there isn't a nastier combat folder than the Emerson Karambit. It's lightning fast, (deploys as you pull it out of your pocket) it's automatically in your hand in a combat grip, and you can't really drop it because your finger is looped into it. To top it off, the blade is short enough that it meets or beats laws that govern blade length on pocket folders. Love it!

Emerson-KARAMBIT-BT-rw-10604-26069.jpg

It solves the problem (to me anyway) of wanting to carry a switchblade - it's perfectly legal, and it's a great design if you are looking for a self-defense knife to carry.

Holy shit that's sexy.... :party29:

KMA

Jan 17, 2010
    harford county
    It's my understanding there is a U.S. code that restricts the carry of automatic knives only to one armed persons , the physically handicapped and military/ law enforcement

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Holy shit that's sexy.... :party29:
    Yep - about $180 worth sexy - a bit pricey, but worth it.

I personally own an Emerson mini Commander. The "mini" is kind of a misnomer because there's really nothing mini about it other than the fact that it's smaller than the regular sized Commander. I'm not going to complain - my friend gave it to me because when he ordered his Commander they sent him the 2-knife set, so he gave me the other one.

mini_commander-BT.jpg

I like it, but as a defense knife, it's not quite as good (IMO) as the Karambit, although it does make for a pretty fine all-purpose folder and it also deploys instantly with the patented wave feature. It gets around the "automatic" label because there is nothing mechanical within the knife itself that deploys the blade - only the little wave hook on the top of the blade that catches on the edge of your pocket and opens the blade as you pull it out of your pocket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom