• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Cool collection, thanks for sharing.

I bet guys in the civil war used them more for settling disputes with their own side than ever in battle, just a guess. :)

Curious, are 'brass knuckles' universally illegal now in the States, or just in some States? I sometimes see them advertised as belt buckles, and I want to say paper weights, don't recall exactly.

My understanding is like switch blades, legal to own, illegal to carry as a weapon, right?
    (switchblade exception for LEO in Maryland).

In most places it's only illegal to use them or carry them but ownership is fine. A handful of states do ban ownership: California, Massachusetts, New York, and possibly Michigan and Illinois. There's also various local laws that outlaw knuckles and some states with no laws at all. Ones that are made overseas like in China or Pakistan often have a knob on one side for use as a belt buckle and will be sold as a "knuckle buckle" or "paperweight" on the packaging probably as a way to make confiscation less likely in places where they might be outlawed.

Last edited:

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Doing a little poking around the interwebs and found this, any thoughts?

SRT1.jpg

Source: http://plainsmanscabin.yuku.com/reply/29006/t/Quest-for-the-ultimate-survival-TOOL.html#.T0mF8Bx7GRM

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Doing a little poking around the interwebs and found this, any thoughts?

Source: http://plainsmanscabin.yuku.com/reply/29006/t/Quest-for-the-ultimate-survival-TOOL.html#.T0mF8Bx7GRM

Pretty cool, it looks a lot like an improved version of US patent #3,865,370 from 1975 which can be found on page 79 of the book "History of Knuckle Dusters" by David Grant(Paladin Press 2007). It was designed to be easily attached to a handle and used as an ax and cutting tool. The pictures in the patent does not show the nail puller, glass cutter/gut hook, saw, and seat belt cutter, just the knuckles with a straight bladed top.

Last edited:

monkey

B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
    Feb 20, 2012
    Monkey County
    Thanks for sharing! I was curious about these things when I went the the York Gun Show a couple weeks ago. They had all kinds of brass knuckles there being sold as belt buckles, but I was having a hard time trying to figure out how that works...Do you put one side around the palm hoop and use the indented knob to secure the other side?

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Thanks for sharing! I was curious about these things when I went the the York Gun Show a couple weeks ago. They had all kinds of brass knuckles there being sold as belt buckles, but I was having a hard time trying to figure out how that works...Do you put one side around the palm hoop and use the indented knob to secure the other side?

Yes, you need to use a belt with a removable buckle like this...

Attachments

• beltknuckles.jpg
      beltknuckles.jpg
      12.1 KB · Views: 253

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Here's some more Civil War or older knuckles I've gotten recently.
    The one on top is very similar to Abraham Lincoln's knuckles and it's even possible they were made by the same maker.
    The two on the bottom were both hand made by blacksmiths probably in the early to mid 1800's and they have really interesting brass and wood handles.
    They definitely show their age very nicely.

Attachments

• IMG_1065.JPG
      IMG_1065.JPG
      122.1 KB · Views: 262

diesel-man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 8, 2009
    fashion knuckles for the next civil war...

Attachments

• fashion knuckles.jpg
      fashion knuckles.jpg
      33.8 KB · Views: 249

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Thats BadA***...

Very cool.

Wow....some cool stuff.

Pretty awesome collection ya got there man!

Note to self, no fistfights with weapons collector..:D

Real nice collection. BTW.:thumbsup:

:lol::lol2::lol::lol2:

I never realized that "Knuckles" were even used in the Civil War. Thanks for expanding my knowledge of the world.

Nice collection.

Thanks everyone, it wouldn't be worth collecting if I couldn't share my collection with others. Like guns, brass knuckles have been banned an vilified but just like any tool they are only as bad as the person holding them.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Here's some more handmade Civil War lead knuckles that were dug up.
    These weren't cleaned much and still has dirt all over it.
    Enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_1069.JPG
      IMG_1069.JPG
      58.6 KB · Views: 204

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205