• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    My wife and I are going to attend the Dulles show next month and this will be my first show as a MD resident and first show in over 10 years. So i was looking for some pointers, tips and tricks. I do already have an FFL to transfer to, so i am setup there.

we are looking of course for good deals and will be kinda looking for a shot gun, a couple of hand guns and maybe another AR if we can find a good deal of some kind. After that we are also looking to pick up ammo, holsters, sights, parts, mags and accessories.

From what i understand long guns (shot gun and the AR's(in most cases)) should be cash and carry. Right?

But like i said i have been out of the loop for awhile and i live in the best state ever!

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Traffic will be horrible on Friday, but much better on Sat and Sun.

Get there early (before they open) to get a better parking space.

Take lots of cash so you can negotiate better prices.

Make a plan of how you want to cover the show. It's pretty big, and many of us find it hard (if not darn near impossible) to remember where we've seen something that we want to go back to see later. Consider picking up a floor map as you enter to jot down items of interest.

There will be show food there at OMG high prices. Someone else will chime in with info about a barbecue joint in the area (I have never found it).

Plenty of convenient restrooms in the hall.

Hope this helps a little. :thumbsup:

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    You know you just stated an oxymoron don’t you? Your first sentence and last sentence contradict one another. You live in Marylinistan and it’s the best state ever? That remark should automatically disqualify you for your HQL. Only recommendation is bring lots of money, try to buy from any MDS IP partners and get all the hicap mags you want. Good luck. And welcome from west of Fredneck.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Sarcasm in the OP's last sentence ?

If you go Friday , go really early before rush hour traffic

If the Rifle is Md legal , you can purchase on the spot ( from a Dealer ) . Not every dealer will know the fine print of the PRM , but many do . Virginia based dealers will want Two ID , so be prepared .

Gym Ratz will probably be there , and they can handle ( handgun transfers with no shipping charges, just their very reasonable Transfer fee .

From your first post, it's not clear if you have made handgun purchase(s) in Maryland yet . If not , are you up to speed about HQL ?

But for your first stop in Chantilly , stop by the MSI booth , and say hi to the friendly folks .

RCH

Will work for ammo.
    Mar 18, 2007
    PG County
    Willards BBQ is within walking distance of the Expo Center, in a little shopping center connected to the Expo Center, facing Willards Ave. As you walk out of the Expo Center, turn left, take a stroll and you will find it on the corner. The food is pretty good.

Mission BBQ is on the way out, if you take Route 50 back to the hell known as MD. 13067 Lee Jackson Mem. Highway,

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Take a note pad and pen, to write down the location and price of anything that you are interested in buying, but might want to find again latter, if you don't find a better deal, usually ammo, mags or holsters. Anything rare or hard to find, haggle for it when you first see it, because it may not be there later. Join or renew you NRA membership to get in free, admission is now $16, you can find a $1 off coupon here, I you don't want to joint the NRA and skip the lines. :sad20:

Figure on 2-3 hours minimum to walk the show without stopping at to many tables, 4-6 to take your time looking.

https://www.showmastersgunshows.com/coupon.html

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Since Ted76 brought up joining 2A Organizations , during the Show, special price for MSI Memberships .

Likewise our friends from VCDL traditionally have their booth just inside the entrance .

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Gym Ratz will probably be there , and they can handle ( handgun transfers with no shipping charges, just their very reasonable Transfer fee .

Is there still a wait period even though its in VA? Does Gym Ratz run the HQL and you are good to go?

Last edited:

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    Willards BBQ is within walking distance of the Expo Center, in a little shopping center connected to the Expo Center, facing Willards Ave. As you walk out of the Expo Center, turn left, take a stroll and you will find it on the corner. The food is pretty good.

Mission BBQ is on the way out, if you take Route 50 back to the hell known as MD. 13067 Lee Jackson Mem. Highway,

Second on Willards.
    Take tissues also. You may end up tearing up at all the goodies you can't buy because you live in Maryland.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    If you are buying ammo, seriously consider taking a hand truck. Parking is a nightmare at this show...though the last one was a lot less bad than usual. I personally like to take my Civil War haversack...it's a convenient way to carry stuff you buy. Buy magazines. And more magazines. Have a "want list" for magazines. Cash is king.

I'll be honest, though. This show is big, but not terribly diverse in products. ARs, AKs, 1911s, Glocks? Plenty of them. Looking for exotica? Much harder to find.

andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    Awesome thanks

Yes that was sarcasm in my last sentence!

Yes we have our HQL's and have purched in MD already. And we are still learning all the laws but from what I understand after our first purchase of a handgun we had to wait 30 days before our next purchase. Right.

Yes I am a NRA member.

So I will bring paper to take notes and scout out everything first. I am not looking for anything old or exotic. So that won't be a problem.

Bring cash! Got it!

Gym Ratz will NOT be at the show this year

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    If you intend on buying an evil black rifle, or a scary handgun, make sure you identify a dealer that can do the transfer. Remember, just because you can, doesn't mean a VA dealer will think you can, based on our crazy laws.

If Gym Rats goes, you are GTG.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Is there still a wait period even though its in VA? Does Gym Ratz run the HQL and you are good to go?

If a Maryland resident and purchasing a handgun must go thru a Maryland FFL. Still 7 day wait, same MSP paperwork as if you bought in state. Only “good to go” on Maryland legal longguns. And apply for a Maryland Designated Collectors License. Free and you don’t have to mess with the “1 in 30 day” rule.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    If a Maryland resident and purchasing a handgun must go thru a Maryland FFL. Still 7 day wait, same MSP paperwork as if you bought in state. Only “good to go” on Maryland legal longguns. And apply for a Maryland Designated Collectors License. Free and you don’t have to mess with the “1 in 30 day” rule.

Thanks. When the other poster said save on shipping I got excited. 3 hour drive to Gym Ratz for me makes it not a viable option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom