Jan 23, 2011

Attachments

• 2A6EDD3B-190E-4B6D-9EB4-A8CB3DCC3BBA.jpeg
      2A6EDD3B-190E-4B6D-9EB4-A8CB3DCC3BBA.jpeg
      33.3 KB · Views: 1,093

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Eh.... it looks a lot like the special M9s that the relief commanders carry now. Cool that SIG did that.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Don't like the gloss finish. Not sure how that is going to hold up in the weather 24/7. But I have to admit they did do a thoughtful job, using wood from the USS Olympia for the grips and such. Just looks too ritzy for such a solemn task to me. Just my .02.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I like them except for the extended mags.

It's very purposeful.

When the Tomb Guards walk their post, they walk 21 steps, turn to face the tomb for 21 seconds, turn, pause for 21 seconds, and walk 21 steps again. This is all in reference to the 21 gun salute.

These pistols, with those mags, will hold 21 rounds. It may look goofy, but it's appropriate.

Don't like the gloss finish. Not sure how that is going to hold up in the weather 24/7.

It'll hold up fine (assuming SIG didn't screw it up somehow). That's the same high gloss polish finish that's used on their current special M9s.

But I have to admit they did do a thoughtful job, using wood from the USS Olympia for the grips and such. Just looks too ritzy for such a solemn task to me. Just my .02.

The M9 that the relief commander carries during the changing ceremony looks very much the same. It's a spit and polish thing.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    It would look better with a hammer.

And if it were a single stack.

Maybe in .45?

And maybe with a steel frame instead of aluminum?

But seriously, I appreciate the effort that SIG did to commemorate the monument BUT......

Didn't we win? I mean seriously here, I get it that Sig won the contract for the next Uber pistol, but this is a monument for chrissakes. These are ceremonial pistols. And using a German pistol to commemorate a monument that is focused on the world wars seems....wrong.

It's not like the Colt custom shop couldn't exceed this level of fit and finish and reverence. It's not like Colt bluing isn't considered to be some of the best in the world. And I am pretty sure the Colt engraving shop still has a couple guys employed.

Seriously, this is a golden moment for Colt. As in "we made these hand engraved 1911s for the Tomb guards because we feel it is horrible that a German company is providing the tools to guard their memory". Colt drops mic. Sam Colt and JMB smile in their grave. And the evidence of post war industrialism, facilitated by treaty disarmament, doesn't infect our monuments, the way it has infected our rank and file. (Sadly, it won't happen because Colt is probably in receivership. Again. Still.)

This is literally the people who fired the shot who transformed the unknown soldier into The Unknown Soldier displaying "reverence" and "symbolism".

And for that matter, Beretta can kiss my grits.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I mean seriously here, I get it that Sig won the contract for the next Uber pistol, but this is a monument for chrissakes. These are ceremonial pistols. And using a German pistol to commemorate a monument that is focused on the world wars seems....wrong.

First, the monument is not focused on the world wars. It is focused on the servicemembers who gave their lives for our country and who's remains are unidentifiable, which happens in every war. There are (or were) unknowns buried there from WWI, WWII, Korea, and Vietnam, until the Vietnam unknown was identified via DNA and was reburied. The Vietnam portion now remains empty.

Second, the current pistol that the relief commander carries is from an Italian brand, but it is made in the USA. Likewise, the new pistols are from a German (or Swiss, depending on how you look at it) brand, but made in the USA. The relief commanders have always carried the current service pistol of the U.S. Army unit of which they are a part, which is the 3rd Infantry Rgt, or the Old Guard.

I get that you like Colt, but the Army doesn't issue or carry Colt pistols any more, and the 3rd is an Army unit, so they carry the Army issue pistol, which are made in New Hampshire.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I don't get why they upgrade the pistol yet carry M14's.

They should have stuck with a M1911 or M9.

I hate SIG.

Totally agree. Doesn't the Old Guard keep sidearms holstered, anyway? I never even noticed what they were carrying and assumed it was a 1911. Why they need a Bubba'd-looking P320 is beyond me.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    First, the monument is not focused on the world wars. It is focused on the servicemembers who gave their lives for our country and who's remains are unidentifiable, which happens in every war. There are (or were) unknowns buried there from WWI, WWII, Korea, and Vietnam, until the Vietnam unknown was identified via DNA and was reburied. The Vietnam portion now remains empty.

Second, the current pistol that the relief commander carries is from an Italian brand, but it is made in the USA. Likewise, the new pistols are from a German (or Swiss, depending on how you look at it) brand, but made in the USA. The relief commanders have always carried the current service pistol of the U.S. Army unit of which they are a part, which is the 3rd Infantry Rgt, or the Old Guard.

I get that you like Colt, but the Army doesn't issue or carry Colt pistols any more, and the 3rd is an Army unit, so they carry the Army issue pistol, which are made in New Hampshire.

You missed the entire point then. I am well aware that modern Sig's are made in NH, just like modern Berettas are made in MD (hence why they are Berry compliant and even able to be NSN items)

The parent companies are German (or Swiss, aka "the nice Germans"), and Italian respectively. The profit they make goes overseas. A mainreason why those brands were even able to achieve the success they have is because Axis powers were forbidden from having a standing Army, with a lot of their defence costs paid for by the allies. Less defense spending = more capital to invest in industry. Or did you think Volkswagen became so successful because the beetle was actually good?

In a similar vein, Mercedes and Ferrari both make better and more exciting cars than Cadillac...but it is more appropriate for the presidential limo to carry a Cadillac badge, even if Cadillac isn't the benchmark for quality that it once was.

The point is, since it is a ceremonial guard, maybe the hardware they carry shouldn't be designed and owned by this nations former enemies. I have nothing against Sig or Beretta, both make fine weapons. It doesn't really matter what the rest of the Army carries, as those arms are used for a totally different reason. But for hallowed ground, let's keep it American.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    They look almost exactly like the M9s that the relief commanders carry now - high polish, red wood grips, the whole deal. The extended mags are different, but that's about it.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    They look almost exactly like the M9s that the relief commanders carry now - high polish, red wood grips, the whole deal. The extended mags are different, but that's about it.

The M9 and 1911 are nice looking guns. The SIG looks like a polished turd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom