Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old January 12th, 2019, 04:10 PM #1

Is my thinking wrong?

Now having a 40 minute commute to work I have a lot of time to ponder and my curiosity runs wild.

I’m from PA, never had anything like the HQL. No license/course to own any firearm. I grew up with them and was taught proper safety, storage and transport all my life. I’m all for someone that doesn’t know any better or is new to firearms going and taking a course. I think that’s a great idea.

Now, it’s my constitutional right to own and keep firearms. I don’t want to go down the argumentative rabbit hole of why, but it’s my constitutional right.

With that being said, MD has the HQL which according to MSP (and my understanding of their website) is required to buy/sell/transfer firearms. Being a constitutional right to have firearms, I think it’s wrong for the state to make money off of a constitutional right we have by paying for the courses, fingerprints, etc.

Having owned firearms coming into MD, I am not required to get my HQL. As the MSP website also says that anything owned prior to coming in is fine. So now all I’m doing is 80%s, no buying, selling, or transferring, so no need to HQL.

So here’s my thinking wrapped up:

I have a constitutional right to buy, own and keep firearms, therefore I believe it is wrong and unconstitutional for the state to make money off of my right. If it was free, I would have no problem with it.

Is my thinking wrong? Right? Yes and no? Out in left field?
dmable44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2019, 04:19 PM #2

I think you're pretty much right, and the HQL only pertains to handguns. I had handguns before the law took effect, so have not gotten the license. I'm former military and I know there are some exceptions, just not sure of details. Maybe someday I'll have to get the license, maybe I'll just move to free America.
Old January 12th, 2019, 04:30 PM #3
Peace through strength

Peace through strength

Even if it were free, I'd have a problem with it. No one needs a license or qualification to exercise 1A or to be protected with the 4A, 5A, 6A, so why should the 2A be so burdened?
Old January 12th, 2019, 04:43 PM #4

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistlersmother View Post
Even if it were free, I'd have a problem with it. No one needs a license or qualification to exercise 1A or to be protected with the 4A, 5A, 6A, so why should the 2A be so burdened?
Well thatís what my next thought was, after I pondered on my first thought for a few days
Old January 12th, 2019, 04:44 PM #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Ryder View Post
I think you're pretty much right, and the HQL only pertains to handguns. I had handguns before the law took effect, so have not gotten the license. I'm former military and I know there are some exceptions, just not sure of details. Maybe someday I'll have to get the license, maybe I'll just move to free America.
My understanding it was for any firearms that I wanted to buy, sell or transfer? So I could walk into a shop and buy a shotgun or a Winchester 94 and be good to go? What about AR lowers?
Old January 12th, 2019, 04:54 PM #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmable44 View Post
My understanding it was for any firearms that I wanted to buy, sell or transfer? So I could walk into a shop and buy a shotgun or a Winchester 94 and be good to go? What about AR lowers?
Just like its name says, “Handgun Qualification License”.

BUT......

“The Handgun Qualification License is only needed for purchasing, transferring, or renting a regulated firearm after October 1, 2013.
Please go to http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/ch...27_sb0281E.pdf in order to view the full text of the Law”

https://www.msrpa.org/pdf/document11_92.pdf

Best thing is to pick your firearm of interest and talk with a knowledgeable FFL holder about what you want to do with it.
Work hard, shoot straight, play fair, fight dirty
DanGuy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2019, 05:05 PM #7

It’s for “regulated” firearms, but to buy a complete rifle it’s my understanding you still need an HQL to do so. Since you could build a lower into a pistol, I get the “handgun” part of the HQL which is required for lowers.

Back when I moved down, I initially wanted to figure out the laws and what I did have to do and didn’t have to do. I talked to different shops, posted on here and went on the MSP website and it was like pulling teeth to get a straight answer. Took me two weeks to finally figure out all I had to register was my Glock 19 and if I wanted to purchase, sell or transfer any firearm I’d need my HQL. That’s according to the MSP website which said one thing on one page and then something different on another. Very aggravating. So it’s handguns and regulated firearms, that’s it? Or is it something completely different on another thread on here haha
Old January 12th, 2019, 05:06 PM #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmable44 View Post
As long as the shotgun or rifle is not banned by the state you can walk into any FFL, pay, and come home with it that day no HQL required.

AR-15 lowers are considered regulated and require an HQL and 7 day waiting period.
MSI Member
GSSF Member
IX-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2019, 05:10 PM #9
Peace through strength

Peace through strength

Lowers need 77R, but if sold as "other" do not need HQL.

Rifles and shotguns are all cash-n-carry after the dealer does NICS check.

Handguns newer than 50 years require HQL.

Handguns older than 50 years do not require HQL because they are C&R which are exempt from HQL by law.

All handguns and lowers transferred as handguns must go through 77R and 7 day wait.

You want logic? You'll find none in MD firearm law.

I bought a collectible handgun from another member. It is over 50 years old. I had to have it transferred via 77R and 7 day wait, but did not need HQL.
Old January 12th, 2019, 05:28 PM #10

Your thinking is spot on.
I'm prior military and do or dont already have rifles and pistols.
What I'll admit I dont have is an hql.
Won't get one.
I refuse.
Its an unjust tax.
Its another list that the government gets to put you on.
Its not that I dont have the money to give the state, its that I refuse on principal.
Its just another way for them to take your money.
I pay plenty in taxes as it is through my business it makes me sick. Not sick to pay for legit stuff. So much however is not legit.
Sick when I see how its spent. Go watch some Trey Gowdy congressional oversight videos on YouTube and you will see why the national debt is so bad.
I'd vote Gowdy for president any day of the week.
randomuser is online now   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues