• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Thanks! I've got an off center fed horizontal dipole about the same heights as yours. It runs north/south, seems to work pretty good.

cms1528

Feb 26, 2013
    Nice job Vette97 for reaching out a fellow ham and helping GamerJim out like that. It's good guys like you which make this hobby a joy.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    So my neighbor came over today and asked if I was on the air at a certain time. I could not confirm. In my own front yard he called me a lying son of a bitch for not saying if what I was doing on my radio was causing his lights to flickers.

It's really sad that his argument came down to us not being able to have a conversation. I tried telling him that I respected him and our relationship. He cut me off and said I was full of crap and avoiding the question. I told him with the question being "was I doing anything that caused his lights to flicker at a certain time" then I couldn't confirm.

I asked for my house key back which he did get for me. I said "thanks" and his response was "thanks for being a lying son of a bitch."

I don't know how or why the conversation went from being a matter of blinking lights to "you are a bad person."

I had a lot of respect for him prior to this. I've mentioned his service in the military, and that does mean a lot to me. At the same time it doesn't mean someone gets to push me around.

I'm at a loss as to what to do next.

Any suggestions?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    So my neighbor came over today and asked if I was on the air at a certain time. I could not confirm. In my own front yard he called me a lying son of a bitch for not saying if what I was doing on my radio was causing his lights to flickers.

It's really sad that his argument came down to us not being able to have a conversation. I tried telling him that I respected him and our relationship. He cut me off and said I was full of crap and avoiding the question. I told him with the question being "was I doing anything that caused his lights to flicker at a certain time" then I couldn't confirm.

I asked for my house key back which he did get for me. I said "thanks" and his response was "thanks for being a lying son of a bitch."

I don't know how or why the conversation went from being a matter of blinking lights to "you are a bad person."

I had a lot of respect for him prior to this. I've mentioned his service in the military, and that does mean a lot to me. At the same time it doesn't mean someone gets to push me around.

Any suggestions?

He doesn't sound like anyone you can reason with unfortunately. Cursing at you and calling you a liar don't make for good conversation starters.

Even if he were, I think there is little you can do to shield his touch lamps from your signals without going inside the lamps themselves and that might make you liable if it cause a fire or shock.

If there is some 3rd party this guy will listen to, you might try explaining it to them. At this point though I think the guy has pretty much shut down the conversation.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country

Any suggestions?

Jim, It’s sad when things like this happen. I’m not sure of the history between you guys. It’s possible something triggered this guy today. I’ve also seen some people go off the rails expressing extreme paranoia to close friends and loved ones only to find out that they had some change in medication and once things got adjusted by the Dr they seemed to go back to normal.

Give it some time. Hopefully things don’t deteriorate further. He may open the door to being civil again.

You are in control of how this guy’s dick behavior impacts you.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    As others are saying; There nothing for you to do now. Just wait it out and hope he calms down. Take every precaution already mentioned and be alert if he is capable of more than just words.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Thanks for the feedback.

I keep going over the conversation in my head today. I cannot get over how quickly he went from zero to retard. Again: we've had a great relationship up until this point. He had a key to my house and did dog sitting for free. I don't understand what or how I said "i don't know if my radio caused you problems" made him so irate.

The fact that he started swearing at me and insulting my mother after just a couple minutes of conversation makes me think there is something else going on his side. I swear that I was nothing but cordial during our conversations today or last week. He seemed to flip when I would not answer if my radio was causing a problem at a certain time today. I told him "I don't know if it was causing a problem or not, I'm not an electrician."--And then he started insulting my mother.

I talked to my other neighbor this evening and he said he's never had a problem electrically within the last couple months nor had any problem with this neighbor. I don't know.

I'll let you all know if anything else comes of this. I am still in disbelief the deterioration of that relationship over blinking lights. Something is not right.

cms1528

Feb 26, 2013
    I like to ask a question. Are the touch lamps the type that plug into an outlet? I'm assuming they are. Is there a filter that can be placed between the outlet and the lamp that might block any possible radio interference.

I know it's not your responsibility to fix that or pay for a filter. However if trying one worked to correct the problem then buying a few for him might bring things back to a level of civility.

Also if he's married you might be able to talk to his wife and she may. hopefully, be able to be a voice of reason in his ear.

cms1528

Feb 26, 2013
    Additionally I have a question about your EFHW 8010 end feed antenna. I need to run a wire antenna from the house out to the back yard. A distance of about 122 feed from start to end.

What will happen to my signal or SWR's if I have to cut about ten feet off the wire, do you think I should trim it to fit or just let it hang downward those few feet?

Also, what kind of range of contacts have you had with that wire antenna?

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009

Any suggestions?
    I would make sure you have done the FCC RF exposure evaluation and document the results. There are several online tools to help with this.

Neighborly relations aside, in the end of the day if you comply with the RF exposure limits there is nothing he can go and nothing the FCC will do to you.

Keep in mind duty cycle fully figures in to those evaluations. I can tell you from experience unless you are running high power on a band like 10 meters or a highly frequency you are not going to have a problem complying.

I had a neighbor do this to me when I lived in Chevy Chase but they were a little more reasonable and when I provided them the RF survey results (which you are NOT required to do) they quieted down and stopped.

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Additionally I have a question about your EFHW 8010 end feed antenna. I need to run a wire antenna from the house out to the back yard. A distance of about 122 feed from start to end.

What will happen to my signal or SWR's if I have to cut about ten feet off the wire, do you think I should trim it to fit or just let it hang downward those few feet?

Also, what kind of range of contacts have you had with that wire antenna?
    Don't trim this antenna. It doesn't have to be straight. Let it hang and that will be fine. Go around corners, over trees, whatever. I'm using an end fed and even when band conditions are poor it does well. I was able to work the Baker Island DXpedition in the South Pacific on 17m digital with mine at 100w. Anything is possible as long as propagation works out.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    Don't trim this antenna. It doesn't have to be straight. Let it hang and that will be fine. Go around corners, over trees, whatever. I'm using an end fed and even when band conditions are poor it does well. I was able to work the Baker Island DXpedition in the South Pacific on 17m digital with mine at 100w. Anything is possible as long as propagation works out.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
    I am interested in the EFHW antenna also. Have you run a wire across a roof. I'm curious about the friction of movement of the wire over the coarse shingles. That's the only way I can use up the full 130 wire.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    I would make sure you have done the FCC RF exposure evaluation and document the results. There are several online tools to help with this.

Neighborly relations aside, in the end of the day if you comply with the RF exposure limits there is nothing he can go and nothing the FCC will do to you.

Keep in mind duty cycle fully figures in to those evaluations. I can tell you from experience unless you are running high power on a band like 10 meters or a highly frequency you are not going to have a problem complying.

I had a neighbor do this to me when I lived in Chevy Chase but they were a little more reasonable and when I provided them the RF survey results (which you are NOT required to do) they quieted down and stopped.

This

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    gamer_jim,

Very sorry to hear about your neighbor conflict.

You might try sending a note. This tends to get through when face to face discussion becomes emotional and deteriorates, and something like this may be your only chance to rapidly make amends. The sooner the healing steps are taken, the less the overall damage. If you let this simmer, you may never get past it.

He might be an elite warrior, but by his comments it is clear that his understanding of power and voltage is limited, and so you have to work through the misconceptions. Once a layman gets a wrong concept embedded, one may not be able to change that notion, but sometimes a little enlightenment can sink in and soften up the resistance.

Apologize for the 'misunderstanding' and tell him you how value his friendship. Tell him there is no need for this radio thing to be an issue between you. Explain again that you are only running between 30 and 100 watts, which can be compared to light bulbs, a TV or a desktop computer. Tell him you are actually licensed and authorized by law to run 1,500 watts (comparable to a 110v cube heater), but that you don't. Tell him that your absolute maximum of 100 watts into your (50 ohm) antenna only requires a little over 70 volts to develop, which is much less than his house wiring voltage. Try to put the numbers into perspective for him without getting technical or seeming condescending.

Explain to him that your equipment is designed and certified to not cause undue interference, and that his equipment should reject a certain amount of interference on its own, but that sometimes interference is still possible. Make it VERY clear to him that you would like to work with him to resolve any problems that could be caused by your radio gear. It could easily be that you only need to stay off of one certain band or frequency span. You might be able to simply snap a couple ferrites on his lamp cords and kill any power line pickup for him. Offer to work with him to first prove or disprove it's your system, then look at the nature of the problem for solutions.

I would hope that he also values your friendship and will calm down enough to see that this doesn't need to be adversarial.

Good luck and I hope you guys can fix things.

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I am interested in the EFHW antenna also. Have you run a wire across a roof. I'm curious about the friction of movement of the wire over the coarse shingles. That's the only way I can use up the full 130 wire.

You can run a wire across a roof. Shingles wouldn't break it, but any closeness to the house is going to result in a lot more noise being picked up by the antenna, with the high probability that you're radiating RF into devices in the home. A lot of people install wires in the attic as well. I would google attic antenna interference to be prepared in order to take care of all the possible issues you might encounter. My antenna is outside, yet it causes my microwave clock to show a zero if I'm transmitting on 10m. RF will do strange things.

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland

Any suggestions?

I had a chance to think about this and it feels more like a domestic dispute that requires some sort of 3rd party intervention.

You originally said that he was concerned about possible health issues and didn't care about the lights. He said he would do his own research. Now he is concerned about the lights. Instead of trying to address the issue he's having, he is resorting to coming onto your property and shouting obscenities. If you get on the air, again, his next step will be likely to repeat or escalate. You're operating lawfully and interacting with appropriate demeanor despite his intimidation. His behavior needs to cease.

I hate to suggest this but I think the best course of action would talk to a lawyer on how to deal with this. I know one who is a member here and who is also a ham. It might be costly but could save you from a whole lot of grief.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    You can run a wire across a roof. Shingles wouldn't break it, but any closeness to the house is going to result in a lot more noise being picked up by the antenna, with the high probability that you're radiating RF into devices in the home. A lot of people install wires in the attic as well. I would google attic antenna interference to be prepared in order to take care of all the possible issues you might encounter. My antenna is outside, yet it causes my microwave clock to show a zero if I'm transmitting on 10m. RF will do strange things.
    Thanks. I'll just stick with my shorter Random Wire which worked very well for me in the tree.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I hate to suggest this but I think the best course of action would talk to a lawyer on how to deal with this. I know one who is a member here and who is also a ham. It might be costly but could save you from a whole lot of grief.

I was thinking this too. Please pm me his name. It will be nice to at least have that ready in case my neighbor escalates this legally.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom