• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    I've been asked to put together a flier for the bills being heard by the House on Friday. Attached please find my first draft. Feedback is welcome.

FYI: You'll note there are two columns. I'm thinking have the flier as shown cut in half, with each bill on opposite side of a half-sheet of paper.

Edit: DO NOT USE THIS VERSION. It is fatally flawed given our target audience in the MD GA. A much improved version is attached below.

Attachments

• flier for 2A House hearings 20160226 v1.pdf
      70.7 KB · Views: 191
    Last edited:

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Good idea. And nicely executed! :thumbsup:

Since you have some space to spare, I suggest doing it in a 12 pt font. Easier to read on the fly that way.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    I used 12 point Cambria in Word. Maybe it just looks smaller because you're seeing a PDF version? Or perhaps because a lot of space is wasted with the two-column margins?

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Great work.

If a person is convicted, they are in jail, even if trying to appeal. Even while going through trial (for serious crimes, unless they somehow get bail) they are in jail. Where are their guns during jail time? I don't see anything changing, or needing to change in two days, there either already exists a problem or there isn't. Are there FFLs that will hold guns for a person charged with a prohibited crime?

These are murky waters. I trust your judgement, I haven't even read the bill; not much of an issue to me, so if you think they should just modify the timeline - ok by me. How about 7 days though, so it's consistent with the 'reasonable waiting period'. If it takes the Mdsp 7 days to do some paperwork, shouldn't a (best case) wrongly accused person sitting in jail and working through an attorney/friends/family be afforded the same amount of time? The 7 days also addresses weekends and holidays.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Folks: I'm going to have to change draft version 1 above; it is fatally flawed. DO NOT USE what you see above. Reason:

The logic is based on a successful appeal of a suspect who is convicted, with the goal of making it possible to get his guns back. The problem is, the anti-gunners DO NOT CARE if you & I or anyone else for that matter gets his guns back. Indeed having them gone for good might be a good thing to them. thus if our goal is to get their votes, this is a flawed strategy. It might even be counter-productive.

Instead, I should focus on the accused getting fair market value. Even in an eminent domain issue, the person is compensated when their property is taken. That appeal, is likely to win on both sides, pro and anti gun.

I'm headed off to work within minutes but as soon as I can change out the words, I'll post a new draft.

And MM, my concerns about extending the time is a) they might not buy it and b) we don't want real criminals (let's face it, 95% of all the people who will be affected by this bill) to have their guns for a longer period of time.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    aray, that is the angle I went at. Here is my written testimony I submitted for HB1001. Use any of it if it helps.

"While I am in favor of prohibited persons not possessing firearms, this could result in a family losing a sizeable asset or future return on investment if the convicted person is unable to transfer the firearms to a family member or to an FFL for consignment purposes if the conviction comes at a time when the convicted is unable to arrange for a transfer either due to closed FFL’s (non-business days) or the convicted person remaining in custody after the fact.

If this type of scenario would result in the destruction of these firearms by the State Police, I see it possible that it could place a financial hardship on the convicted person’s family.

I ask for an unfavorable report without amendments protecting a family’s investment, and possible financial status."

Also aray, thank you for what you have been doing here with the summaries and topic points.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Little time to chat; here's the draft replacement:

Attachments

• flier for 2A House hearing 20160226 v2.pdf
      71.1 KB · Views: 128

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Minuteman,

I haven't looked closely at the list of convicted crimes and whether or not it is mandatory they are in jail at that point or if they can bail out pending appeal. Also, can a person allow a family member to make the transfer pending conviction acting as a proxy? What if it were in a trust? All of these things are way beyond my legal knowledge. If "no" to all then you're right, it's moot either way. But I have to assume another possibility exists - otherwise why even give the person 2 days, why even bother to mention an FFL?

The changes I propose are nothing more than ensuring that IF an FFL is an option, the suspect has the practical ability to exercise that option. To do that, it needed to change from "days" to "business days".

I also backed off on the change from 2 to 3. They said 2, they wanted 2. I had previously expanded that by one because I wasn't sure whether a 3 day closed Monday Federal holiday or something would be considered a business day or not. I didn't want to torpedo the opportunity to make a helpful amendment by seeming to make a grab for more time. They get what they want (2), and we seek a reasonable modification to make the language practical.

Raineman,

If you look at the current draft I think you'll find the language is much more consistent with what you said. Independently I came to the same conclusion as I was shaving this morning. Alas I didn't have time to really polish the language in the changed draft as I had to run off to work, but hopefully it says the same things in other words. I needed to get it out before I left for logistical reasons - if I'm to get copies made and ready for tomorrow I needed to have it "done" before I headed out to work this morning.

on_the_rox

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2009
    Whiteford, MD
    Photos from Annapolis this AM.

Attachments

• IMG_2849.jpg
      IMG_2849.jpg
      130.2 KB · Views: 139
    • IMG_2841.jpg
      IMG_2841.jpg
      102 KB · Views: 141
    • IMG952850.jpg
      IMG952850.jpg
      115.9 KB · Views: 143

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    I have 300 fliers ready to go. Would have printed more but it wasn't cheap. If anyone wants to grab a handful, see me tomorrow and I'll give you some as long as they last.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom