• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cb51

They pretty much are. That's why you see such a particular naming of them in many state laws like the naming of Bowie knives, dirks, stilleto's and such.

In general, if it looks like a weapon, it will be judged as one. Never carry anything that you don't want to explain to a judge or jury.

edhallor

Feb 23, 2010
    Aberdeen
    i thought dirk knives were fighting knives like daggers.
    I believe the meaning is confused, I've seen many conflicting descriptions depending on the source.

Dealing with Baltimore I can only Quote what is listed in the Baltimore City Code as well as State Law. I know for a fact that Judge Gurstung in Baltimore City threw out several cases of persons charged with knives both Locked and Folding (some carried by persons you would not want anywhere near your Family) and reprimanded Police that "Knives are Tools NOT Weapons"

But again this was just one Judge's opinion, other Judges ruled differently. As we know in reality each case is not judged on it's own merit, but on a wide range of circumstances and personalities.

Myself I carry (with a Permit) because in forty years of working Drugs, Vice and Gangs I arrested hundreds of very dangerous persons that would love to catch me, or my Family in a compromising position.

This is not to say that I don't believe an Honest Citizen has no right to carry, on the contrary I firmly believe every upstanding person in this Country should have the Right to carry a firearm to defend Himself, his Family, Property and others in need if he so desires.

The decision to carry or not must be a personal one and the decision must be made with full realization that bad things sometimes happed to good people.

While we wait to see the outcome of the Right to carry in Maryland anyone choosing to carry a knife, cane or other implement should always make it clear that you are carrying a tool, not a weapon.

Myself, I don't have much choice about to carry or not, I would be a fool not too.

Obviously what you carry and how you choose to use it is your decision. All one needs to do is pick up a News Paper or turn on the TV and it is obvious that the World is not the safe place we would like it to be.

I saw a lot of good advice in this and other Post about being aware of your surroundings, avoiding certain areas, traveling in a group, parking in a well lit area, etc. all good suggestions I follow myself. It's not a case of not being macho it's a case of being smart.

The best of luck on whatever your decision may be,

Ed

Feb 3, 2013
    Baltimore
    I'm sure someone will be pissed that I bumped this, but I have a problem. I have a stalker who isn't happy with me over an altercation that happened about a year ago. Just yesterday he started following me around and eventually confronted me. I tried to make a report and the police pretty much told me that it's my problem and they can't do anything unless I'm verbally threatened or assaulted. I don't want anything to do with the situation and I know that a retaliation is pretty much imminent. I kind of figured that pepper spray is my best option.

The police won't help and I can't find any recent laws on what I can and connot carry in Baltimore City. Help?

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    I'm sure someone will be pissed that I bumped this, but I have a problem. I have a stalker who isn't happy with me over an altercation that happened about a year ago. Just yesterday he started following me around and eventually confronted me. I tried to make a report and the police pretty much told me that it's my problem and they can't do anything unless I'm verbally threatened or assaulted. I don't want anything to do with the situation and I know that a retaliation is pretty much imminent. I kind of figured that pepper spray is my best option.

The police won't help and I can't find any recent laws on what I can and cannot carry in Baltimore City. Help?

Alright let's do the non-weapon solutions first:
    Good job informing the police, that was the proper first step. Them brushing you off is pretty typical. Now it's time to go right to the courthouse. First things first, file a Criminal Complaint with the district commissioner.
    http://www.courts.state.md.us/district/selfhelp/crimes.html#2
    This is basically a formal written accusation of a crime where you present all your evidence. The commissioner will review it, and if he or she feels you are believable and feels your complaint is sufficient cause, will issue and warrant and said person will be served with summons or arrested and the usual due process commences from there.

Second option is a Peace Order. You can do this instead of a complaint or along with it. http://www.courts.state.md.us/family/forms/protectorder.html
    They are great things and the process actually favors you as the petitioner greatly. I know a gal who got one issued just because a guy she bedded wouldn't stop calling and e-mailing her. So long as you are 100% truthful and communicate your fear of harm effectively, they work.

Now to the weapon stuff. Baltimore's weapon laws are mostly about firearms, but also ban knuckles, switchblades, mini-crossbows, air guns, blow guns, stun guns (except TASER), and stink bombs. Other than that, if it's legal at the state level it's fine in the city. Pepper spray is fine so long as you're over 18, as are all regular folding knives of any size. But seriously try to use the legal system first. Self-defense is a huge legal mess unless you can prove to a bunch of strangers that don't care a bit about you that you were completely justified in using the level of force you did in that specific situations.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    Those junkies are typically harmless but I understand the concern. Where I hang out, the same junkie idiots keep begging for cigarettes, their typical 37 cent [sic] to catch the bus etc... no matter how many times I tell them to fudge off. They look for people from the suburbs who are intimidated by their swarthiness.
    First piece of advise is to not get into a fistfight with them. You can end up with the HIV. If you are leaving your car on the street, you have to deal with these idiots in a more diplomatic way. They will see what you drive and mess with it. Don't let them intimidate you while you get out of your car. I sometimes tell them I will think about it when I get back from whatever it is I am doing. Sometimes I when I see them making their approach to harass me, I put on the crazy angry act. They back away quick.
    To answer your question about carrying something, one thing I have seen at urban parks is for people to carry various types of longish sporting equipment on their health walks. Golf clubs are popular. Its not a weapon; you just like to do a little putting practice in the office.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Okay, I know this topic is something of a dead horse, but I'm curious about a unique aspect of it. As far as I understand, it's totally legal for me to carry a non-firearm weapon openly, as long as I don't intend to do anything illegal with it.

Carry your bare hands and a side order of surprise

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom