• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    My response to Delegate Pena-Melnyk

Delegate Pena-Melnyk,

I find it hard to believe that you did your very best to support the greater body of constituents from District 21 in your vote on the Firearm Safety Act of 2013. Not once were we or anyone we know in District 21 contacted for our thoughts on this law. Senate President Mike Miller had constitutional concerns about the law as noted in the Washington Times (February 20, 2013): Senate President Thomas V. Mike Miller Jr., Prince George’s Democrat, has suggested that a license-to-purchase provision may violate the Second Amendment and could be stricken from the bill. Unfortunately Senate President Miller failed in upholding his oath to the US Constitution in his vote on the Firearm Safety Act of 2013. You failed to uphold your oath in this matter as well. Your vote clearly indicates that you will bow to political pressure rather than honor your oath and do what is right for the safety of Maryland citizens. You cannot make law abiding citizens safe by making them easier targets for criminals. Prior to 2013 Maryland already had some of the toughest gun laws in the U.S. and still had an extremely high rate of violent crime. The failure of many in the General Assembly to recognize that criminals need to be punished in order for law abiding citizens to be safe has cost another year of opportunity to truly address the violence issue in our state. A study of gun laws in states that have successfully reduced violent crime rates is what you and others in the General Assembly should focus on. You need look no further than Virginia to see the reduction in crime that occurs when a citizens right to self defense is honored and respected. We will support your opponent financially and at the voting booth in the next election unless you miraculously take our advice and learn what works and what doesn't when it comes to crime and public safety. If the miracle takes place please let us know so that we may reconsider our position.

Last edited:

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Delegate Pena-Melnyk,

I find it hard to believe that you did your very best to support the greater body of constituents from District 21 in your vote on the Firearm Safety Act of 2013. Not once were we or anyone we know in District 21 contacted for our thoughts on this law. Senate President Mike Miller had constitutional concerns about the law as noted in the Washington Times (February 20, 2013): Senate President Thomas V. Mike Miller Jr., Prince George’s Democrat, has suggested that a license-to-purchase provision may violate the Second Amendment and could be stricken from the bill. Unfortunately Senate President Miller failed in upholding his oath to the US Constitution in his vote on the Firearm Safety Act of 2013. You failed to uphold your oath in this matter as well. Your vote clearly indicates that you will bow to political pressure rather than honor your oath and do what is right for the safety of Maryland citizens. You cannot make law abiding citizens safe by making them easier targets for criminals. Prior to 2013 Maryland already had some of the toughest gun laws in the U.S. and still had an extremely high rate of violent crime. The failure of many in the General Assembly to recognize that criminals need to be punished in order for law abiding citizens to be safe has cost another year of opportunity to truly address the violence issue in our state. A study of gun laws in states that have successfully reduced violent crime rates is what you and others in the General Assembly should focus on. You need look no further than Virginia to see the reduction in crime that occurs when a citizens right to self defense is honored and respected. We will support your opponent financially and at the voting booth in the next election unless you miraculously take our advice and learn what works and what doesn't when it comes to crime and public safety. If the miracle takes place please let us know so that we may reconsider our position.

Similar response sent to Delegate Frush as well.

QM2

Nov 27, 2013
    Maryland
    The sad thing is..... Their advisors and assistants write these replies.... And the officials just sign it. I'm interested to see what their response is...

Unfortunately, we are in a state that has more gun-hating liberals than gun supporters.... So these delegated officials don't even give a crap because they know this, and their seats are secured.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    To: joseline.pena.melnyk@house.state.md.us, jim.rosapepe@senate.state.md.us,
    barbara.frush@house.state.md.us, senator.rosapepe@inbox.com, ben.barnes@house.state.md.us

Subject: More reason for your failing grade (see attached article)

Elected officials,

You work for us and it is beyond the time to control your spending of our money. The Baltimore Sun is typically one of the most supportive media outlets of what you folks do in Annapolis but even they recognize your wasteful and careless management of taxpayer resources. It is time for change and we will dedicate our time and resources to your opponents in the next election should your lack of concern for the citizens of Maryland continue.

Mr. & Mrs. _____________

Attachments

• Maryland in disequilibrium - Baltimore Sun.pdf
      304.4 KB · Views: 166
    Last edited:

Mr H

Banana'd
    My opening volley to the GA as a whole...

With the coming of the 2014 General Assembly session, I would first like to welcome you all back to doing the legislative work for the People of Maryland.

But I ask you... Just what is the obligation of that work?

It is nothing short of upholding your Oath to the Constitution (both of the United States as well as Maryland), and upholding those principles for the betterment of Marylanders.

Last year, we saw many bills pushed through the Assembly that did little but to further entrench the government's power and influence. Chief among these were the Firearms Safety Act, the takeover of Prince George's County schools, and the so-called "Rain Tax".

Marylanders are negatively affected by all these (and other) laws enacted from the past session, and will be paying very close attention to activities in this coming session. I am among many Marylanders encouraging our neighbors to keep a very close eye on the Assembly this time around, and we will be making note of not only bills that are introduced and the final votes, but also of the procedural votes in preparation for the upcoming election cycle.

I'll close by thanking those Senators and Delegates who truly do put their constituents' needs ahead of partisan and ideological politics, and remind the rest that we are watching. We will be visiting you in Annapolis throughout the session, in numbers you've not seen before.

[me]
    Glen Burnie, MD
    District 32
    Conservative Democrat

Last edited:

Mr H

Banana'd
    Round 2

With the first week of the 2014 session underway, I have been reviewing much of the proposed legislation, and am seeing some disturbing points.

There seems to be a concerted push toward a whole new class of Constitutional infringements, in addition to the expected further assault on the Second Amendment.

Restrictions relating to "Duty to Retreat" and penalties for not obeying 911 operators are clearly knee-jerk reactions to the Zimmerman/Martin events in Florida, and will do nothing to make potential violent crime victims safer. If anything, the only thing these will create is a body count of law-abiding citizens, who will have been further prevented from protecting themselves and their families.

The proposed change to prevent any firearms dealer from releasing a handgun after the stipulated 7 day period, without an "Approved" decision form MSP holds the potential to create an infinite administrative backlog, and a 'de facto' ban on handgun purchases. This would be in direct conflict with the recent ruling by Judge Chang (Federal District Court, Chicago), saying, [the 2nd Amendment provides] "the right to acquire a firearm, although that acquisition right is far from absolute . . . But Chicago's ordinance goes too far in outright banning legal buyers and legal dealers from engaging in lawful acquisitions and lawful sales of firearms. . ."

The bill authorizing a Task Force to study GPS systems for firearms is completely laughable, as the technology (as I understand it) is not only decades from being viable for this purpose, and likely easily defeated. It also smacks of a prelude to confiscation, should it ever become viable.

I will comment on other bills as time permits, but please remember that the people of Maryland are not well-pleased with the totality of these (and many other) infringements and abuses, and will be heard. I would expect that your schedules will be filling up with people expecting to be heard. I encourage you to consider their concerns seriously, rather than following a strict party protocol.

Sincerely,

me

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom