• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • moose&squirrel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 25, 2018
    Hey, guys, I have a stock CZ Scorpion with the 16" carbine barrel, and I am thinking of buying the 7.x" barrel CZ says and converting it to a SBR. I know about the stamp I have to apply for and buy...are there any other legalities? Do I have to find a different from standard stock, for example, and convert to a pistol brace, or can I simply have a good 'smith change the barrel out for me? I have a 9mm suppressor stamp sitting in jail at the moment.

Thanks!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Depends. If you live in MD, you still need to avoid it becoming a copycat weapon, which means no folding stock plus flash hider, and it needs to be 29" OAL or greater. I would imagine you are going to have difficulty making OAL with a 7" barrel.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Since MD has that idiotic 29” rule, your best bet would be to keep it a pistol and go with a tail hook brace.

Like this. Not mine.

EDIT: Missed that this was a rifle. Please disregard. Sorry.

Attachments

• 83303F81-2E40-4144-A566-354883102691.jpg
      83303F81-2E40-4144-A566-354883102691.jpg
      91.2 KB · Views: 500
    Last edited:

HaveBlue

HaveBlue
    Dec 4, 2014
    Virginia
    OP has the rifle version, can't be turned into a pistol.

Ditto. From a federal perspective: (no idea about MD)
    Pistols can become rifles.
    Rifles cannot become pistols.
    Pistols turned into rifles can be later turned back into pistols.
    Rifles can be converted to SBRs vi NFA / Stamp

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Don't keep the short barrel and receiver together until your stamp is approved.

Constructive intent and all that.

IANAL

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Looking at CZ site, the rifle is 34.75" long. With 16.2" barrel.

So minimum barrel length for MD would be 10.45".

Unless you can do something to lengthen the butt stock. See the thread about the MP5s.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    A
    So it's legal to own the short barrel as long as it isn't mounted to a lower?

A barrel by itself is not any kind of firearm. I kept my lower at Engage after I got my DD MK 18 11.3 inch upper . I married them the day my stamp came back.

But I don’t keep the parts needed to make an SBR together until I have my stamp

It had been s blissful union I must say

The BATFE can prosecute for constructive possession if they want to.

Better safe than sorry

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    A barrel by itself is not any kind of firearm. I kept my lower at Engage after I got my DD MK 18 11.3 inch upper . I married them the day my stamp came back.

It had been s blissful union I must say

Better safe than sorry

A suppressor isn't a firearm either, but I'm guessing if I had one of those not mounted to a gun, I'd get a trip to Camp Fed :innocent0

shmuel2004

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 1, 2016
    Pikesville, MD
    I tried to SBR my glock and the ATF denied and said that Maryland law doesn't allow anything less than 29 inches. Now, I know that less than 29 is a copycat weapon, but if so, how are gun stores still selling AR-15 SBRs?!?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I gotcha. But the barrel when combined with the lower is an NFA item, correct?

They don't even have to be combined. That's what constructive intent is. It means you have the parts to make an NFA item and without the stamp you could be charged with constructive possession.

Having the parts is the same as possessing the finished item in the eyes of BATFE.

That's why I said I kept my Engage lower at Engage because I had purchased a DD MK18 11.3 inch upper before I actually had my stamp. Keeping them separated kept me on the right side of the law.

Paranoid? Maybe. But also legal so no hassles

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I tried to SBR my glock and the ATF denied and said that Maryland law doesn't allow anything less than 29 inches. Now, I know that less than 29 is a copycat weapon, but if so, how are gun stores still selling AR-15 SBRs?!?

They can sell them if the OAL >29 inches.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I gotcha. But the barrel when combined with the lower is an NFA item, correct?

According to a determination letter from ATF (the famous "Thompson Center" letter), if you have a collection of parts which has no other legal purpose than to assemble an SBR, then you have an SBR.

The corollary to that is that if you have a legal purpose for those parts (i.e. you have a short AR barrel, but you also own an AR pistol lower) then you can have them.

moose&squirrel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 25, 2018
    Looking at CZ site, the rifle is 34.75" long. With 16.2" barrel.

So minimum barrel length for MD would be 10.45".

Unless you can do something to lengthen the butt stock. See the thread about the MP5s.

So, I could have the barrel cut down to 11" (just to be safe) and not bother with the SBR tax stuff, or would I still have to do apply? Sorry, I'm not a lawyer, nor to I play one on the internet. The 9mm suppressor I have on order is 4.7" long. I'm wondering what the impact on "sound" would be, if any, with a 5" shorter barrel and the suppressor, compared to leaving the barrel the length it is, with a suppressor, and how the rifle would shoot with the suppressor off and just a thread protector on the barrel.

Or should I just leave the rifle along, thread on the suppressor, and be happy... :lol2:

kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013
    So, I could have the barrel cut down to 11" (just to be safe) and not bother with the SBR tax stuff, or would I still have to do apply? Sorry, I'm not a lawyer, nor to I play one on the internet. The 9mm suppressor I have on order is 4.7" long. I'm wondering what the impact on "sound" would be, if any, with a 5" shorter barrel and the suppressor, compared to leaving the barrel the length it is, with a suppressor, and how the rifle would shoot with the suppressor off and just a thread protector on the barrel.

Or should I just leave the rifle along, thread on the suppressor, and be happy... :lol2:

Barrel length must be 16” or longer to be considered a rifle any shorter and you have an SBR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom