• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Is it just me or are there more deer in the fields, dead on the road. In my yard?

Maybe I'm paying attention to the deer more than previous years but according to DNR the annual reported harvests have been flat for the past 3 seasons around 85,000.

This year, as I'm driving I"m seeing more deer and in fields I don't normally see deer during the day. I"m also seeing more dead on the side of the road and I am having more "near misses" at this time of the year than I recall ever before.

By the house I just moved from there is a county park. For the first time ever I recall, there was a managed hunt. I think it was a dismal failure (they only let them hunt mornings) as this spring before I left the house, I saw more deer than ever.

What are you guys seeing?

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    There is a herd of about 7-8 that hang out outside one of the vehicle control points at NSA on Fort Meade. They all have dropped twins. Not in an area that can be hunted.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I've been seeing basically consistant. Consistantly high, but similar to previous cpl years.

kmb

Ultimate Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    Neighbor found a fawn head in his yard the other day. Thought that was weird considering the only real predators are fox. Had another fawn in my yard flipping out bc lawn guys were there. Not sure how the mom puts them in there as this is the 2nd year I've had a fawn in my back yard. Tried to catch it but no luck. It eventually made its way out the side gate. Seen a lot more out and about during the day in the heat than I expect. This part of MoCo has a huge # of deer bc you can't hunt anywhere and no one will let me cull in their 'hood or semi-private area. I've also seen a lot on the roads in the last week on my drive from my house to 495S.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    It has been exploding for some time. Some FLIR deer counts have yielded densities in md areas of up to 140 deer/ square mile. Way more than is sustainable.
    When I was volunteering at soldiers delight, a biologist said that we will see forests die off due to deer not letting saplings grow past the browse layer. Soldiers delight has other rare plant species heavily impacted by its suburban deer population.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    They are showing up in people's back yards in Towsonish.

Last year, I saw it as a fluke.

Seeing one again this year equals population explosion.

Now if we can only pass a law where setting up a deer blind on your deck and whacking Bambi inside of 695 is legal.

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have not had much chance to notice lately. Hopefully things will loosen up a little soon. I'm thinking of going out next weekend and join the Hooligans at the range. Last time I was up there I saw an average of one dead deer every couple miles on 68. It was the rut though.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I wish I would see all these deer when I'm sitting freezing my arse off during hunting season.
    Nada for the past 3 years. :mad54:

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    yall should try growing soybeans or corn if you want to see deer. there are so many down here now that they can completely devastate small fields next to wooded areas. I have seen as many as 50 in a bunch grazing in the last few years. do your local farmer a favor and kill the hell out of them cockroaches.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    I have seen many more than usual feeding during the hottest part of the day in fields along route 50 on the Eastern shore.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Neighbor found a fawn head in his yard the other day. Thought that was weird considering the only real predators are fox.

Did he give the movie contract to Johnny Fontaine?

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    They are showing up in people's back yards in Towsonish.

Last year, I saw it as a fluke.

Seeing one again this year equals population explosion.

Now if we can only pass a law where setting up a deer blind on your deck and whacking Bambi inside of 695 is legal.

I live near Loch Raven Reservoir. They are as thick as flies on a corpse. Even my German Shepherd Dogs don't keep them out of the yard. They stand there and munch my flowers and when the dogs charge they simply elevate over the fence.
    Pests. Wish I could shoot them.
    Thinking of a pellet gun but would probably get in trouble.
    Can I legally "mark" them with a paintball gun?

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    MD deer population exploding?

Depends on what you shoot them with.

I'm in southern Caroline and there are late afternoons when I can count 25 in the field across the road.
    We have 3 or 4 piles of deer poop in the driveway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom