• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    A friend and I were kicking around the idea of taking a road trip to CMP South in Anniston Alabama to hand pick a couple of Garlands for ourselves?

Has anyone been there somewhat lately?
    I’d be interested to hear your feedback if you have?

Thanks

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    Haven’t been lately, but you can check CMP Forum for updates on what they have for sale in the stores currently. Locals and visitors are usually pretty good about keeping threads going on that.

I believe it’s still the case that they have two stores down there: one in Anniston and one at the Marksmanship Park.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    The good thing about going to the Anniston location is you can also visit the store at the CMP Talladega Range. Both stores have a different selection of rifles and are not that far apart. if you want, you can also get some range time at the CMP Talladega range and try out your new purchases.

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    I recently went to the one in Ohio. The pickings were sparse. I picked out my rifles, they packed them and shipped them to my home for free.
    One thing I didn’t account for was that they charged me Ohio Sales Tax.
    I was told I missed the only 1903 they had seen in months by a few hours (I got there in the afternoon, someone bought it in the morning).

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    Great place! And LOVE that range with its electronic target system out to 600 yards. Definitely a guntry club level facility.

firemanyz

MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    It’s been about two years since I was at the south store. There have been major changes since then.

COVID has made them limit the number of people that are allowed in the store at a time.

If they are busy there is a 30 min time limit in the store. Not sure if it’s the same at TMP.

MAJOR CHANGE THIS PAST WEEK, A LIMIT OF TWO RIFLES.

Also remember at south store there is 10% sales tax. At TMP I think it’s 6%.

Over the last two weeks it’s been reported that some people have had to wait 2-3 hours in line to get into the store.

Good luck and it is a super fun place to visit. Don’t be afraid to ask the guys working at the counter for some help.

gwfrench

Aug 21, 2014
    Frederick, MD
    Went there June 2019. Bought a 1903 Mark 1 at the south store and found a nice IHC with a LEAD stock at TMP.
    Took one of my Garands to TMP. Had to first shoot at the 100 yard range to prove I could hit the target.
    Then went to the 600 yard range, showed I could shoot and got the 200 yard target, worked up to the 600 yard.
    Hit the black with all 10 shots, showed it to them and got my ticket punched to go wild. Good for a year.
    When I was at TMP (pre-covid) I was the only one in the store. Saw the IHC with original barrel, op-rod, sights, bolt,
    and bought it. Didn't realize it had a LEAD stock until I got home and saw the orange triangle stamped on it.
    Sales tax is lower at TMP than the south store.
    Takes same paperwork (except the actual order form). Pre-fill some out and take it with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom