• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    As the election nears I need to finish my lowers.
    Looking at either 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC . Comparing the 2 , ballistics are similar , the grendel is almost 300 more. Ammo seems cheaper for the 6.8 (will reload just looking at the finished price) . Which one (and why) would you build ?

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Both good cartridges and as you said similar ballistics. You are more likely to find 6.8 SPC commercial ammo in local gun stores. You might want to survey the stores in your area and see who carries what because even if you reload sometimes it is handy to be able to pick up a box when needed.

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    I was looking at the ballistics of the 6.8 SPC today and liked what I was reading but reloading components for this caliber does not yet have a huge variety to choose from. But i would still like to use this caliber at some point in the future. as it will get to be more popular

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Just between the two, 6.8spc. I was reading a good article about them and the author was leaning towards the Grendel. Their schtick was that by 300 meters the Grendel retains great energy and has less drop because of the better ballistic coefficient. My thing though is, around these parts I'd be hunting at 100yds or less in most cases so the 6.8spc is going to be a little better.

What about .277 wolverine? They sell does to resize .223 cases for it and it uses the same bullet as 6.8. Only slightly less velocity and MV than 6.8SPC and you can use the same BCG and mags as .223/5.56

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I have the 6.8 and it's a dream to reload for. It's a terror on white tails too. I can't really speak for or against the Grendel, I was thinking of building one but since I already had the 6.8 I opted for the 25-45 Sharps for the build.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I like my 6.8 a lot but I've debated selling it since I build my 300 blk and my hunting lands furthest shot is 100 yards. Had access to some land that took some fsirly long adventurous walks but the land was sold and now I'm stuck on a tiny plot so 300 from now on.

Otherwise can use my bolt gun.

Nothing wrong with the 6.8 accurate decent punch but now that I have the 300 blk and a can that should be approved by Christmas well the 6.8 doesn't seem as vital anymore.

Sent from my LG-K428 using Tapatalk

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I was looking at the ballistics of the 6.8 SPC today and liked what I was reading but reloading components for this caliber does not yet have a huge variety to choose from. But i would still like to use this caliber at some point in the future. as it will get to be more popular

6.8 SPC has had since before 2005 to get popular.

The popularity of the cartridge on the mainstream side (RRA, Bushmaster, DPMS, etc... off the rack rifles) was dying off, back in 2010. You might be waiting a while on the popularity to grow...

rtse4me

Apr 12, 2013
    Howard County
    I just put together a Grendel since I access to shoot long range. Being able to shoot 1000 yds on an AR15 platform was my reason. Also I have 2 other 6.5 rifles so I could use the same bullet in all 3. Wolf came out with inexpensive steel cased Grendel ammo recently for about .30 /round

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom