• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Make sure you drive the forward assist roll pin in from the top of the receiver.

Thanks! On the lower I had driven in the bolt release from the front which was a mistake. I got it in without marring the receiver, but man it was a pain getting it in far enough to use a vise to do it the rest of the way. By the time I realized I was going the wrong way I couldn't back it out.

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    Ok, dumb question, but I just want to be sure of something before I spend money. I have a Colt 6721 with a 16" barrel and stock furniture including an A2 handguard. The handguard measures about 6.5 inches (aka the distance from the delta ring to front sight). What style/length handguard should I be looking for? Mid or Carbine or do I just have to pay attention to the actual measurements?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Ok, dumb question, but I just want to be sure of something before I spend money. I have a Colt 6721 with a 16" barrel and stock furniture including an A2 handguard. The handguard measures about 6.5 inches (aka the distance from the delta ring to front sight). What style/length handguard should I be looking for? Mid or Carbine or do I just have to pay attention to the actual measurements?

That is carbine length.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Buffer & spring question: Is a Spike's T2 heavy buffer and Springco M4/CAR-15 Standard Power Carbine Buffer spring appropriate to use with a 16" mid-length upper? Pros/cons/better choices?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Buffer & spring question: Is a Spike's T2 heavy buffer and Springco M4/CAR-15 Standard Power Carbine Buffer spring appropriate to use with a 16" mid-length upper? Pros/cons/better choices?

I've heard a lot of good things about the ST-T2 buffers. The weight should be fine (@ 4.05 oz), it is just below a standard H-2 buffer (usually 4.6 oz).

rdavidw

Dec 6, 2016
    Germantown, Maryland
    Beginner AR15 Build

If anyone could take a quick look at my build list I would very much appreciate any feedback. This is my first gun build but am fairly mechanical. Looking for an accurate AR15 for short range target shooting. Don't know much about AR15s. Are any of my specs non-Maryland compliant or incompatible? Anything I am going to regret buying or should upgrade?

Thank you in advance for your help.

David

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    If anyone could take a quick look at my build list I would very much appreciate any feedback. This is my first gun build but am fairly mechanical. Looking for an accurate AR15 for short range target shooting. Don't know much about AR15s. Are any of my specs non-Maryland compliant or incompatible? Anything I am going to regret buying or should upgrade?

Thank you in advance for your help.

David

Where are you located? Somebody might be able to save you the 90 bucks on the tool kit, by helping you assemble the rifle with their tools.

rdavidw

Dec 6, 2016
    Germantown, Maryland
    Thank you DaemonAssassin. I am in Germantown MD. I don't mind forking out the $90 for the tools. It will be nice to have them in case I want to make upgrades or repairs down the road or if I want to do another one one day. My biggest concern is that I have picked out a bunch of parts that will not work well together or I will have to change out again very shortly. I am just getting into AR15s. I am hoping I can google or youtube most of the how to on the assembly. If I get stuck it would be great if I could have someone help out. Thank you again!

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Thank you DaemonAssassin. I am in Germantown MD. I don't mind forking out the $90 for the tools. It will be nice to have them in case I want to make upgrades or repairs down the road or if I want to do another one one day. My biggest concern is that I have picked out a bunch of parts that will not work well together or I will have to change out again very shortly. I am just getting into AR15s. I am hoping I can google or youtube most of the how to on the assembly. If I get stuck it would be great if I could have someone help out. Thank you again!

I am no expert like some of the guys here (I've assembled a couple of rifles), but here are some of my thoughts on your parts list:

That LPK seems expensive. I see that it's a two stage trigger, but not what trigger they're using. Unless you really really want the two stage, you can get an LPK from Palmetto State Armory which includes the excellent ALG (made by Geiselle) QMS trigger for all of $60. It also includes a Magpul MOE grip and MOE trigger guard in place of the standard ones. That'll save you about $70.

Down at the bottom of your list:

Unless you really, really want the Lancer or Magpul mags, you should be able to get aluminum GI mags for about $7 each. I own a ton of the Palmetto D&H magazines and they're decent. Since you are in Maryland, you will either have to travel out of state to buy them, or you can have them shipped to someone you know out of state and go pick them up. That'll save you about $10 a magazine.

The sights you've got on there I don't specifically know anything about, but a lot of people here have had very good luck with the Bushnell line of red dot sights. They're a little more expensive than yours (unless you find them on sale, I've gotten a TRS-32 for around $60 in the past) but they're a known quantity.

The rest of the parts you're using I'm not familiar enough with to know much.

I am hoping I can google or youtube most of the how to on the assembly. If I get stuck it would be great if I could have someone help out. Thank you again!

You can find tons of good build videos. My favorite ones are a series that Brownell's made a while back.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11004/learn/

There are a ton of short videos in that series, but they cover everything about building an AR, and they do it well.

rdavidw

Dec 6, 2016
    Germantown, Maryland
    Thank you so much Hawkey! A good trigger is high on my priority list. Here is the trigger that comes on the Del-Ton:http://www.midwayusa.com/product/962358/del-ton-two-stage-combat-trigger-assembly-ar-15-ar-10-lr-308-small-pin-154-matte. I was thinking its $100 by itself so the rest of the LPK is only $25. I tried a demo in a gun shop of this trigger and liked it. pull feels like less than the 4.2-4.6 lb rating. The alg trigger http://palmettostatearmory.com/alg-quality-mil-spec-trigger.html is $45 by itself making the rest of the LPK only $15. I do like the Magpul grip better but the trigger is what is most important to me. I do some air gun plinking with my son and have modified hair triggers on those so jumping up to the 6.5 lb pull on the alq trigger may not be ideal for me.

I didn't know you couldn't mail order the mags to Maryland. I will drive out of state and pick up what I can find. Thanks for the heads up.

Good info on the red dot. I will give that a look.

Thank you also for the build link!

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Thank you so much Hawkey! A good trigger is high on my priority list. Here is the trigger that comes on the Del-Ton:http://www.midwayusa.com/product/962358/del-ton-two-stage-combat-trigger-assembly-ar-15-ar-10-lr-308-small-pin-154-matte. I was thinking its $100 by itself so the rest of the LPK is only $25. I tried a demo in a gun shop of this trigger and liked it. pull feels like less than the 4.2-4.6 lb rating. The alg trigger http://palmettostatearmory.com/alg-quality-mil-spec-trigger.html is $45 by itself making the rest of the LPK only $15. I do like the Magpul grip better but the trigger is what is most important to me. I do some air gun plinking with my son and have modified hair triggers on those so jumping up to the 6.5 lb pull on the alq trigger may not be ideal for me.

Yeah, that's cool. Like I said, I didn't know anything about the trigger in the Del-Ton kit, but if you've tried it and you like it, hey.

I didn't know you couldn't mail order the mags to Maryland. I will drive out of state and pick up what I can find. Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah, no problem. It's a state crime to "...manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm" (quoting the law) within Maryland. You can buy elsewhere and bring them back, but you can not receive or transfer them within Maryland by any method. Depending on where you are, there are plenty of shops in PA and VA that will sell them to you, or if you have friends who live out of state, have them order for you and go to their house and pick them up.

Thank you also for the build link!

No problem. Those videos were incredibly helpful to me when I was doing my first build.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

If you are getting the tool kit that I think you are, I wouldn't get it. You will only be using a handful of the tools in the package. All you really need to do is buy a decent torque wrench, armorer tool, vice block, allen wrenches, and some misc odds and ends and you can build an AR. Mind you I have simplified things a decent amount, but the truth is there. I have picked up tools over time, because I truly enjoy building AR's. I have found that if you are going to build just one AR, going with fewer tools can sometimes ease the sticker shock. Now if you plan on building more than 3 AR's, you might want to think about getting the tools you know you will need, not what comes in an all in one kit.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2...-series-upper-receiver-vise-block-clamp-ar-15
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/773840/wheeler-engineering-delta-series-multi-tool-ar-15-steel
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/TEKTON-1-2-in-Drive-Click-10-ft-lbs-to-150-ft-lbs-Torque-Wrench/50169195
    http://www.harborfreight.com/36-piece-sae-metric-hex-key-set-94725.html

Just the basics in those links will do well for you, and they are the right tools for the job.

As a piece of advice for your first build. Do the build with somebody that knows their stuff, so you can learn how to do things the right way, not the YouTube way. I was fortunate that a fellow member on here taught me how to build an AR lower, and another member taught me how to build an upper. I was even more fortunate to be able to take some AR classes after building an AR.

As for glass, I can recommend Vortex. The Strikefire is around 180, but it is worth every penny. I have an Aimpoint Comp M2 and have compared it to a Vortex Strikefire. Considering the price difference, I'd get the Vortex.

Don't forget to use the "quote" button when responding to somebody.

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    I'm retired USAF Security Forces/Combat Arms Instructor and located in the Westminster area. If anyone needs a hand with a build or runs into a problem feel free to PM me and if your not far away we can meet and I can walk you through just about any part of the build you might need help with.

rdavidw

Dec 6, 2016
    Germantown, Maryland
    Don't forget to use the "quote" button when responding to somebody.

Thanks for the help guys. Here is what I have ordered. I got a fully assembled upper to save on tools.

I am going to move the cheap Dagger red dot to my kids gun and get something in the sub $200 range once I get a better feel for the AR. Here are some I am looking at:
    Vortex SPARC AR Red Dot Rifle Scope
    HOLOSUN HS403A Micro Red Dot Sight (2 MOA) with AR Riser
    Primary Arms Advanced Micro Dot w/ Push Buttons / 50K Battery Life MD-ADS
    Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 Red Dot Sight Riflescope, 1 x 25mm (tilted front lens)

Thank you for any suggestions!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I just picked up a Kaw Valley Arms linear comp for my 20" HBAR. I am excited to try it out. Pretty light at 3oz and only about half an inch longer than an A2 birdcage (that 3pz is about 1oz heavier than an A2). Looking for something to keep the noise down a little for me. I could careless if Bambi or a yote are a bit more hard of hearing.

Headed to the range Thursday to sight in my scope on the AR as well as my .308 Forester before heading to the Eastern shore for some deer hunting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom