• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Call this one pure curiosity. I once had the chance to buy a CZ Skorpion semi-auto in .32ACP but passed because I didn't have the money at the time. But the issue has always burned in the back of my head, why exactly is Maryland the only state that bans such handguns and does it actually do anything?

My opinion on the matter is that if I had picked up that Skorpion and shall-issue CCW one day became legal here, am I really going to carry it? Absolutely not, that thing is enormous for a handgun and is a pretty small caliber to boot. I could accomplish much more with a small-scale 1911 in .45ACP and a couple mags. So what I can carry 20 rounds of .32ACP ammo? What am I really going to do with that? It would have been a very fun range gun, but outside of that these "assault pistols" as Maryland defines them are often difficult to conceal at best and offer little benefit to criminals over a standard handgun other than magazine capacity. And even with magazine capacity we have Glocks that can hold 17 rounds of 9mm ammunition, so if a criminal can get that and easily hide under under his shirt why would he even bother with trying to tuck a Skorpion just for the sake of carrying a few extra rounds in a weaker caliber?

This ban just has never made sense to me, but perhaps someone else here can explain the logic behind it to me.

nomo613

Nov 24, 2010
    pikesville
    i dont see the point in owning one anyways. its like a desert eagle, really cool and everyone wants one but they are entirely useless. at least a desert eagle can cause serious damage

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Guns are bad Mmkay?

Assault Pistols are big scary guns that criminals can use to just mow down innocent civilians, and crazy gun owners will just take them out and start shooting at anything they can.

So, in conclusion, guns are bad, but assault pistols are bad and scary mmkay?

Since you guys are new..

The above was brought to you by :sarcasm:

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Actually, the VZ61 has been added to the Maryland Handgun Roster (or whatever the hell it's called). They're perfectly legal in this state now. I bought mine before it was on the approved list and just did it as an SBR to get around that stupid stuff. I'm glad I did because it's WAY more fun with the stock. Is it practical? No. Is it fun? With a capital "F". Every time I shoot it, it's takes me back to plinking in the yard with a BB gun when I was a kid! SBR one, you won't be disappointed.

P1070565.jpg

P1070564.jpg

P1090273.jpg

Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I mean I guess I could "theoretically" still purchase a Skorpion at a VA gun dealer and bring back, right? So, if that's the case, this law really didn't even prohibit law-abiding citizens from owning these firearms, correct? All it seems to have done is limit gun dealers' profits on these firearms and move possible sales tax money to another state.

Pretty soon the funds are going to allow the purchase of another fun plinking firearm, and I already keep .32ACP around the house for my Beretta so a Skorpion defiintely fits the bill of what I'm after.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    P.S. here's fome F'ed up stupid gun law logic for you.

1. These aren't allowed to be imported with a stock so they're brought in as pistols.

2. maryland (at the time) didn't allow these in the state as pistols.

3. Put a stock on it and register it as an NFA firearm.

4. This both circumvents the stupid Md. law and allows you to own an item perfectly legally that is illegal to import in the first place!!!

Go figure!!

Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Actually, the VZ61 has been added to the Maryland Handgun Roster (or whatever the hell it's called). They're perfectly legal in this state now. I bought mine before it was on the approved list and just did it as an SBR to get around that stupid stuff. I'm glad I did because it's WAY more fun with the stock. Is it practical? No. Is it fun? With a capital "F". Every time I shoot it, it's takes me back to plinking in the yard with a BB gun when I was a kid! SBR one, you won't be disappointed.

P1070565.jpg

P1070564.jpg

P1090273.jpg

It's exactly what I'm looking for! I want a FUN plinking gun in a small, cheap caliber and I wouldn't mind larger magazines so I have to reload less. The Skorpion just looks cool and every time I see one I smile because it just has this aura of "please shoot me, you know I'm a low-recoil plinking gun that will be insanely fun" about it. I'm not looking for a CCW weapon, just something I can take to the range, shoot it a lot, and possibly a bit of a conversational piece because I always love meeting new people.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I mean I guess I could "theoretically" still purchase a Skorpion at a VA gun dealer and bring back, right? .

You don't need to go to Va. Just have it shipped to your local FFL. Even if you did go to Va., it's still a pistol and would need to be transfered to a Md. FFL before being transfered to you just like any other pistol. I see them for sale at almost every Frederick gun show I go to.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Last I looked the AP ban banned possesion as well. Funny how that made the roster considering it was on the ban list. Maybe somebody should send a MAC11,Tec 9 etc to the roster board for approval.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I can tell you from experience too that they're AK reliable. They just WORK first time every time. Muddy, sandy, wet, dry.....it doesn't matter. The little VZ just keeps on truckin'.

Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Personally, I think it was a screw up. But until they fix that screw up, it's legal for you to buy.

Good info, when I get the cash I'll have my eyes out for one. May go to a local FFL (NOT The Armory in Annapolis, long story but I will never step foot in there again) and have them bid on something on gunbroker. Either way, now that I know the Skorpions slip under the radar here I'm pretty sure that is what I'm going to buy for my next plinking gun.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I mean I guess I could "theoretically" still purchase a Skorpion at a VA gun dealer and bring back, right? So, if that's the case, this law really didn't even prohibit law-abiding citizens from owning these firearms, correct? All it seems to have done is limit gun dealers' profits on these firearms and move possible sales tax money to another state.

Pretty soon the funds are going to allow the purchase of another fun plinking firearm, and I already keep .32ACP around the house for my Beretta so a Skorpion defiintely fits the bill of what I'm after.

Regulated firearms are not allowed to be purchased out of state for MD residents.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    There is no logic to it.. It was made up by pot smoking hippies.

The Skorpion is underpowered with the 32ACP cartridge, but the military version compensates for that by having selective fire capability and a rate reducer to slow it down a bit. This is one of the original firearms designed for PDW role.

Since it has a military origin. The civilian version, even though it has been neutered ( no folding stock or selective fire capabilities) still looks menacing enough for libtards to think that is is an " assault pistol" I'm not even sure what constitutes an assault pistol.

It looks like a mini AK.. It has a magazine( assault clip) that is forward of the trigger guard. and the 32 ACP round can take out a T72 tank with one round. Thats is why it is banned.

Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I was considering a Ruger Vaquero in .357 for my next plinking gun, but since I already keep .32ACP around and I just now learned Skorpions are legal, it looks like that may be my next purchase. I absolutely love the design of the Skorpion, it just screams fun, reliable, conversational piece, plinking gun. Not to mention 20 rounds between reloads will be nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom