• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I cast my vote for the Remington 870 with the HD barrel. Just the sound of that sucker cycling in the dark of the night will send any invader with half a brain scurrying for the door.

Oh no you didn't!

Cue the "You're crazy not to be locked and loaded when the bad guy comes to the door" crowd.

1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016
    As others have said, make sure that you practice to avoid user induced malfunctions. I am not the authority on home defense but like others are saying as far as shotguns go, the Mossberg 500s and Remington 870s are time tested and affordable. Plus 12 shells are very common and easy to find. Consider your surroundings when choosing which ammunition to use. Different types of shot will have different characteristics. But find something that is ergonomic for you and make sure that every family member who may be called on in an emergency to operate the shot gun gets practice time. You do not want to short shuck it in a home defense situation. I see some folks recommending AR pistols as well and they may be a good choice for a lot of people.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Problem solved :D

I saw a really good video on home defense firearms once where the guy was saying he didn't recommend silencers on weapons at home because if someone breaks into his house and he has to use a firearm to defend himself he wants the neighbors to hear the shots and call 911. I thought that was a really good point.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I’m interested in purchasing a shotgun for home defense.

Not sure what I want yet. I don’t want to break the bank but would like something reliable and will last.

Any suggestions?

I'm going to go against the grain here and advise you to buy a shotgun with a standard 28" barrel. It sounds like you're not a gun guy. Guns aren't dangerous but having a gun in the house where no one has experience operating it can be very dangerous. If you buy a "home defense" shotgun with an 18" barrel you won't be able to shoot it at a trap and skeet range. Even though shooting clay pigeons may seem intimidating, an outdoor range is a very good place to become accustomed to you gun. You'll want to be able to load it, operate the safety, and shoot it without hesitation. This happens best by shooting it regularly. Taking a shotgun to an indoor range is a dark, lonely, boring event. Taking it to shoot clay pigeons is invigorating.
    Some here will say that a 28" barrel is clumsy inside the home in a self defense situation. I say that it is much less clumsy than holding a gun that you aren't familiar with.
    A side benefit is that at your passing, someone will inherit a firearm that is useful for hunting, shooting clay pigeons, and home defense.

People here hate Dick's Sporting Goods but they'll be selling the Remington 870 on Black Friday for about $280.

Invicta

Sep 16, 2018
    I'm going to go against the grain here and advise you to buy a shotgun with a standard 28" barrel. It sounds like you're not a gun guy. Guns aren't dangerous but having a gun in the house where no one has experience operating it can be very dangerous. If you buy a "home defense" shotgun with an 18" barrel you won't be able to shoot it at a trap and skeet range. Even though shooting clay pigeons may seem intimidating, an outdoor range is a very good place to become accustomed to you gun. You'll want to be able to load it, operate the safety, and shoot it without hesitation. This happens best by shooting it regularly. Taking a shotgun to an indoor range is a dark, lonely, boring event. Taking it to shoot clay pigeons is invigorating.
    Some here will say that a 28" barrel is clumsy inside the home in a self defense situation. I say that it is much less clumsy than holding a gun that you aren't familiar with.
    A side benefit is that at your passing, someone will inherit a firearm that is useful for hunting, shooting clay pigeons, and home defense.

People here hate Dick's Sporting Goods but they'll be selling the Remington 870 on Black Friday for about $280.

Some of what you mentioned is exactly why I would recommend either a handgun or AR for his purposes. Both will be easier to practice with and easier to maneuver in a house than a 28 inch shotgun. But ultimately it comes down to whether or not he is open to consideration on firearm type.

kbuddy

Jun 20, 2008
    Calvert Co.
    This is the common answer for good reason.

OP, can I ask, why a shotgun?
    Good question for the OP. Why a shotgun over other platforms?
    Consider that you may need two hands. Will you potentially:
    1) Call 911 while holding the gun?
    2) Clear the house vs. staying put?
    3) Hold a flashlight?
    4) Move family members?
    You’re welcome to come try out some shotguns, I’m about an hour south of you.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    OK , pbharvey has a degree of a point, and perhaps I took the OP too much at face value .

I won't belabor which is most best-est between handgun , shotgun, rifle , jumbo pistol . All are viable , and each one have advantages & disadvantages in particular situations . So a shotgun discussion is relevant .

PBH does have a good point , that practice and familiarity with a shotgun is important , and indeed lots more options with a Field Length Bbl than a pure defensive gun .

But a 28in bbl to maneuver indoors in defensive situation Sucks .

Instead , my revised recomendations are a two barell combo . Ie 18-20in defensive bbl and a full length field bbl for a package deal . Both Moss and Rem offer them , and they frequently are on sale for low prices from the usual big box suspects .

Put as much weight into the significance as you deem , but an AR Pistol has waaaaaaaaaay more muzzle blast than a shotgun .

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Side note: I worked with a guy years ago that would load (in order) two slugs, two buckshot, and then two birdshot into his HD shotty. "I'll start them off with birdshot to give them a chance to change their mind, then I'm stopping them with buckshot, and if they're still coming in, I'll put an end to this with slugs."

Don't do this. You probably won't have the luxury to cycle up a continuum like that. If you need lethal force to stop a threat, you want to be sure to stop it as quick as possible. #1 buck in a flitecontrol wad (federal) is commonly thought of as the best defensive option. The smaller the shot, the more surface area it takes out, but the less it penetrates. The larger, the inverse. #1 buck crushes more frontal area than 00 buck, but still penetrates reliably to acceptable levels.

Count on the purchase of the actual gun to be one of the cheapest parts of the home defense process. You should also be investing in training, ammo for that training, medical supplies(such as a tourniquet, hemostatic dressing, and perhaps chest seals at a minimum), training for the medical supplies, a good weapon mounted light, and some system to restrict access if you've got kids/frequent guests.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    Get the one where "you can go pump, or auto."
    :lol:

th

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The best HD shotgun is the one you run through a class. Shotguns are probably the most difficult firearm possible to shoot, reload, and avoid jamming up in a stressful situation, add in the usual unweildy length and low capacity, and IMO it's a specialty weapon, where the tradeoffs don't usually outweigh the benefits of power and versatility. Of course, even a SxS would probably be sufficient in the vast majority of defensive uses, but generally they are far from ideal, especially if you lack the knowledge and techniques to run one competently. For most, I would recomend a semi over a pump model provided you are willing to learn to use it, semi-autos have lighter recoil, IMO can be just as reliable if maintained, are more reliable with newer shooters(harder to short-stroke) and can be a little more intuitive to run, plenty of good tactical models from Beretta, Rem, Mossberg, and others. Provided you run enough shells through to get used to it, ensure reliability, and practice reloading/clearing jams. A shorter 20-24" model with a mag tube as long as the barrel is a better choice for most that invest in the time and training it requires to run a shotgun for home defense.

Sirex