Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old October 7th, 2018, 02:57 PM #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abuck View Post
Years ago I figured out a good way to check camo clothes to see if they have issues with UV glow. I noticed on some of my trail cam pics that some clothes looked all washed out, and mostly one solid shade. I noticed it mostly in my rain gear, but it was eye opening. Put them out and take a few pics of them during dalylight, and dusk, when the camera is in nighttime mode. You can really see how some clothes blend in, and others stand out horribly.
Nighttime cameras use infrared light (actually, they lack an IR filter that CCDs need to see 'normal' light the way we do) and sometimes/usually have infrared leds to increase visibility.

IR is not the same as UV... it is the opposite end of the spectrum. What you are checking for is visibility in the IR range, which may be useful, but not the same as checking for UV.

Editing to add image. In simplistic terms, IR is 'redder than red' and UV is 'more violet than violet'. Both out of human visual range.
Attached Images

Bullfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2018, 09:11 AM #12

I think most of this is a bunch of crap. I've been hunting for fifty plus years and don't worry about scent blockers and uv or ir or any other crap. My middle son worries about all this crab. Special bins for boots clothes and everything else, detergents for this and that. In the end his kill ratio is no better then mine when comparing hours in the field to kills.
madmantrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2018, 09:45 AM #13

We’re told not to use fabric softener on camo specifically bc of the uv signature it can leave. Haven’t heard anything about the detergent itself (unless it had fabric softener combined in it)
aklax11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2018, 06:28 AM #14

Anyone one else work on issues with this? I bought a pair of Flecktarn fatigues for hunting and just started hunting Friday and deer are just picking my out of the stand at 50 yards. No movement and they turn and look right at me. These things must really be glowing to them. I tried last night with a cheap trail camera I have here and everything whited out. But as Bullfrog stated its IR not UV. I have never been spotted like this before, so something is keying the deer to look at me in the stand. The only thing new is my flecktarn clothes and a camelback backpack and I will check both later. The old clothes are getting worn today.

I ordered a black light off amazon to test all my clothes now. I have never been spotted like this before. These are supposed to be lightly used fatigues so I am assuming they are either made with UV brighteners or washed in them before I got them. I'll post pics later on if the UV light works.

Anyone every treat UV without the spray on UV killer?
Archeryrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2018, 07:08 AM #15
Head'n for the hills

Head'n for the hills

UV-Killer is the only product that works so far under a black light.

Plenty others are out there, but YouTube them and you will see that you are throwing your money away.
Old October 17th, 2018, 07:21 AM #16

So what is the solution to clothes reflecting UV light because of stuff they added to them? Test them with a light and just throw clothes away? My light is battery powered and you can be damn sure I'll be testing clothes when buying them. This was shocking to me this week.

Madmantrapper, they recently in the past 15 years or so started adding UV protection to clothes to prevent fading. To prevent it must "reflect" UV. Your old clothes and your dad's and so, didn't have it. It's probably why our old camo worked so good and faded too and still worked.
Old October 17th, 2018, 09:47 PM #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archeryrob View Post
Anyone one else work on issues with this? I bought a pair of Flecktarn fatigues for hunting and just started hunting Friday and deer are just picking my out of the stand at 50 yards. No movement and they turn and look right at me. These things must really be glowing to them. I tried last night with a cheap trail camera I have here and everything whited out. But as Bullfrog stated its IR not UV. I have never been spotted like this before, so something is keying the deer to look at me in the stand. The only thing new is my flecktarn clothes and a camelback backpack and I will check both later. The old clothes are getting worn today.

I ordered a black light off amazon to test all my clothes now. I have never been spotted like this before. These are supposed to be lightly used fatigues so I am assuming they are either made with UV brighteners or washed in them before I got them. I'll post pics later on if the UV light works.

Anyone every treat UV without the spray on UV killer?
Are they scenting you and then looking your way? If actual surplus, unless they’ve been cleaned in a UV brightener, they should be low UV. Generally BDU/ACUs American and similar at least Western (and probably some Eastern ones too) generally use low IR and UV signiture dyes as they recognize they need to be cognizant of IR and UV cameras, not just MkI eyeball.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2018, 02:53 AM #18

I bought some "Surf" detergent and washed all my stuff in that. Haven't been close to any deer yet but should be this week.
Striper69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2018, 06:23 AM #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Are they scenting you and then looking your way? If actual surplus, unless they’ve been cleaned in a UV brightener, they should be low UV. Generally BDU/ACUs American and similar at least Western (and probably some Eastern ones too) generally use low IR and UV signiture dyes as they recognize they need to be cognizant of IR and UV cameras, not just MkI eyeball.
They are not scenting me, I always hunt the wind. Now, I know it can swirl, but was not at these times. I have deer talking in, upwind and 50 yards from me turn and stare at me even not moving. I wore my waterfowl clothes today and they don't get washed as scent doesn't matter and deer hardly noticed me. Maybe just as a new bump on a tree ladder, but went back to normal in a second.

I think they Downy is contaminating the washing machine and leaving some behind in the rinse. This is just Assumptions until I get the black light and can check everything, so it all could change
Old October 19th, 2018, 01:55 AM #20

I've got good news, guys!

Tonight I was sitting on the edge of a big clearing about a block away from a creek. The area has some really tall grass that the deer use to bed in and a lot of trees. About 20 minutes before the end of shooting light I looked behind me and thought I saw the body of a deer. I was sitting in front of a big tree and turned around in the stool to get a better look. It was a small doe and she didn't have a clue that I was there. I watched her walk away and put my rifle sights right on her when she stopped broadside about 40 yards away. I wanted to wait and see if a big buck came by so let her walk.

I was wearing the HECS suit and had on a grey sweatshirt that I had washed in the "Surf" detergent. It was low light and the deer would've spooked if the sweatshirt was giving off UV light.

So I think it's safe to wash your hunting clothes in "Surf" detergent. I bought it at Wal-Mart and it was one of the cheaper brands they had.
Striper69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports