• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    Hey Guys,

I really don't know much about scopes, rings, mounts, etc. and I need some help.

I have a 15-22 with iron sights and I guess it's called the picatinny rail.

I would like to put a scope on to shoot 50~100 yards max.

I would also like to be able to use the existing iron sights while the scope is mounted, if that is possible.

Please let me know what you think. I am especially confused about the rings and what rings/mounts are compatible with the rifle.

Thanks,
    winch

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I put a Millett 1-4x on mine.

I have a Burris MTAC on an AR that is nicer, but more expensive. The Burris TAC30 is in between.

To use the iron sights, you need to either mount the scope up high to be able to look under, or to use a quick detachmount to remove the scope.

Another option is 45 degree offset iron sights. These put the sights to the side, so you rotate the gun 45 degrees (to the left normally for right hand shooters) and use the irons.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I would also like to be able to use the existing iron sights while the scope is mounted, if that is possible.

If you want to co-witness the iron sights, you need a red dot sight. Good choices are the Primary Arms Micro Dot and Bushnell TRS-25.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    All good options mentioned. I like the vortex Strikefire personally. Its worth a look IMHO and comes with mount and everything you need to do exactly what you want.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Unless your doing BULLSEYE shooting, a co-witnessed Red Dot with iron sights is the best, cleanest, way to go. Depending on what your shooting of course, but, if its targets, plinking, squirrels, rabbits, cans, jugs - milk type :-) and things of that order, the Red Dot is excellent for this under 100 yards.

With skill and practice, some are good with their DOT out to 2-300 yards. Now when you get into WHICH Red Dot, hahahahah well, that just depends on how much you want to spend. You can spend as little as $80 and get a good all around Dot, and as much as $800 or more, for a military quality piece. But, if funds are limited, there are several very good choices for @ $100 or so.

Good luck with your decision, and let us know what you choose :-)

bman940

Bart, Nikon Pro Staff
    Oct 11, 2010
    North Texas
    Nikon P-223 with P-Series AR Mount is what I use on my S&W M&P 15/22's. The 2-7 magnification and standard and hyper velocity turrets let me dial in my distance easily. I have popped steel Prairie dogs and crows at 100 yards and used Nikon's PROSTAFF 3-9 Rimfire scope to pelt them out to 200 yards! Even I was surprised how easy it was using Spot On and the scopes BDC reticle.

Here's a pic of my son practicing.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/P-22/22lr5-1.jpg

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    There are several different rimfire Nikon scopes. I have used BDC version on friends rifles and they are nice.
    I was going to buy the same scope but then after a little research I found for a little more you can get the AO version which allows you to adjust parallax.

This is the best price I have seen and I have ordered it today without any regrets. I would take advantage of it before it goes back up in price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PXVR5C/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There is also a rimfire version that has large turrets that seems to be nice however it is made for high velocity ammo.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    If you go the Nikon route or any scope for that matter, I have this mount that I was getting ready to put in the classifieds for $75. BNIB. http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-833-M-2...qid=1378006654&sr=1-2&keywords=nikon+xr+mount

I bought the Nikon and the Burris PEPR at the same time, but wanted the QD mount since I have an EoTech that I want to be able to trade off quickly. Then again, if you are only looking at 50-100yds, I would probably stay with the red dot and cowitness.

terp91

Mar 14, 2013
    Halethorpe
    How do you like the Bushnell you ordered? I have the TRS25 on an older marlin bolt rifle and really like. Looks a bit odd on the rifle but it works great and is plenty accurate at 50yds for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom