• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Congratulations! You have been selected as one of the 800 applicants who will be eligible to obtain a 2018 Maryland Black Bear Hunting Permit. Once obtained, you will be eligible to hunt black bears on public land and private land within the hunt zone

Your Black Bear Hunting Permit will be valid for up to 3 hunters – a permittee and up to two subpermittees. You will be the permittee, and as such are responsible as the lead hunter on the permit. You may assign anyone eligible to hunt in Maryland as your subpermittee(s). Your subpermittee(s) may participate in every aspect of your hunt. It is important to note, though, that your hunting team may harvest only 1 bear.

Hopefully a couple of Hooligans will be able to go, or the wife has an uncle who lives in Westernport that keeps telling me to come up and shoot one in his back yard

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Congrats to all that got selected this year. DNR rep told me few weeks ago that on average, hunters get selected between every 3 and 4 applications. I’ve applied every single year since it started in 2004, finally got picked in 2015 (that’d be 12 years), and not since. I have a whole bunch of 3-4 year preference points, and zilch to show for it. Seems I’m messing up that average.

Anyway, best of luck MDS’ers. Hope to see some great pics soon!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Dumb question. I see nowhere that DNR still does the silly 'bear seaon meetings' anymore. Am I correct?

Also, after combing through all the regs for bear hunting in Md, I saw that if you fail to apply for the lottery one year, your accumulated points are erased. Also are erased once you are selected as the "permittee", but not if you are chosen to be a "sub-permittee" as long as you apply every year.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Correct on all counts Outrider. One problem you may run into in the regs, unless they’ve changed it in the last few weeks, is if you get a bear during the day you only have until 8pm to call the check station & report you got one that day. This was a huge problem for me in 2015 when I had a big boar in my sights with 10 min of legal shoot time left, or about 6:50 pm. Unless I had shot that bear and started running immediately I had at least a 20-25 min sprint back down the mountain to the truck and a 25-30 min drive back up the mountain to cell service. There was no way I’d have made the call-in deadline. Good thing I passed, well that and it was pretty big and hunting by myself I’d have not been able to move that thing a foot.

I spoke in person a couple weeks ago to Harry Spiker himself, he told me that is an old reg still in there from the call-in quota on the earlier hunts. He told me not to sweat that and also they are generally still at the check stations until 9pm. Or, he said you can call the DNR # & report it, all instances only being required to check the bear in within 24 hrs.

Good luck to you.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Correct on all counts Outrider. One problem you may run into in the regs, unless they’ve changed it in the last few weeks, is if you get a bear during the day you only have until 8pm to call the check station & report you got one that day. This was a huge problem for me in 2015 when I had a big boar in my sights with 10 min of legal shoot time left, or about 6:50 pm. Unless I had shot that bear and started running immediately I had at least a 20-25 min sprint back down the mountain to the truck and a 25-30 min drive back up the mountain to cell service. There was no way I’d have made the call-in deadline. Good thing I passed, well that and it was pretty big and hunting by myself I’d have not been able to move that thing a foot.

I spoke in person a couple weeks ago to Harry Spiker himself, he told me that is an old reg still in there from the call-in quota on the earlier hunts. He told me not to sweat that and also they are generally still at the check stations until 9pm. Or, he said you can call the DNR # & report it, all instances only being required to check the bear in within 24 hrs.

Good luck to you.

Thanks Al. Yeah, I do remember your story. It's good to know they(DNR) won't turn into super Nazis at 8:01 pm. I did read about the call-in if you are unable to make it to the check-in on the same day you take your bear. Thanks again! :thumbsup:

shocka04

Jan 17, 2012
    Calvert County
    Just happened to see this thread.

I got picked last year and was there for the whole week and never saw one, so hopefully you guys will have better luck. We went to one of the check-in stations for a few nights and they do tend to stay open later than 8 especially if they know you are coming or if they are busy(usually only the first night or two). They seem like a good crew that will work with you. I think they aren't supposed to help you retrieve the bear either but I've heard they will depending on the situation.

For any of you going, I would definitely stop by the check-in station at some point. They helped us with some tips on where the bears were more likely(as they keep track of where the bears are shot and they tend to know what bears are eating that season(different trees drop acorns different years)) Obviously it didnt help us, but they did work with us to try to get us to spots that were better. We were in garrett county, so your experience may vary by county or who's working.

Even if you're not interested in help at the check in station, it's neat to see the bears coming in(especially if you never see one yourself)

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    24 hour check in

Good luck to you.

I shot mine (after 4 years of lottery attempts) in 2015. I called the closest check-in station in Oakland and told them there was no way I could field dress it get a 500# bear there by 8 and that I was worried about the meat spoiling and wanted to quarter it. I offered to bring the meat (in a cooler) and the cape but they told me just to bring in the cape w/ head and sex attached for the check in. Very nice folks. As it was I did not finish quartering until 3 AM.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I shot mine (after 4 years of lottery attempts) in 2015. I called the closest check-in station in Oakland and told them there was no way I could field dress it get a 500# bear there by 8 and that I was worried about the meat spoiling and wanted to quarter it. I offered to bring the meat (in a cooler) and the cape but they told me just to bring in the cape w/ head and sex attached for the check in. Very nice folks. As it was I did not finish quartering until 3 AM.
    Sweet. Nice bear, and tons of work it seemed. Well worth it I bet (got pics?). You’re right about the DNR’s helpfulness. I met Harry Spiker in person at a seminar at the MD Zoo a few weeks ago, and he told me that there was lots of flexibility in the reporting, and in the check-in process. I just wish I had known this then (all I had at the time was the specially printed bear hunt rule book). I’d have brought that big sucker out 10 lbs at a time if I knew I wouldn’t really be breaking any rules. That was night one, figured I’d see him again. I figured wrong.

Congrats to you, and best of luck to all venturing out in 2 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom