• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    So I've had this old 995 for nearly 20 years. I stopped shooting it before I moved to MD because the pistol grip split (held now with a zip tie) and both of the plastic magazine bases busted. Before that I shot plenty of paper at 100 yards and it was a hoot. Decent groups and reliable action prior to the busted stuff. I wouldn't drag it though a mud puddle but natural point of aim for an HD weapon is perfect.

Fast forward to now and I'm looking at a Sub 2000 but just can't fit it into the budget. So I pulled out the old 995. The rifling is still very clean and there is no rust. I have a few questions for the gang:

1. I tried calling Hi-Point about a replacement stock. No answer. I know they need the serial number to get the correct model stock. Does anyone know how many different patterns of action there were?

2. The paint on the barrel at the bracket and near the crown is chipped. What are my options for this? Hi temp paint and stay away from the rifling?

3. Are there differences between the old and new mags? I will stay away from the pro-mags since I've heard bad things about them. 10 rounds is fine for plinking as long as they are more reliable than the original 1990's mags.

Appreciate any info.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Ok, never mind.

I got through to Hi-Point and they forwarded me to the tech/service department. The gentleman I talked to was extremely friendly and helpful. So here's the deal for any Hi-Point owners.

Hi-Point has an apparently unlimited lifetime warranty. So I'll be shipping this old girl back to the factory and they will do the following:

- Replace sear, cam, safety, slide, trigger and some other stuff I didn't catch
    - Polish the feed ramp, frame and new slide
    - Upgrade the original stock to a TS stock ($60 upcharge, to replace with an original stock would be free)
    - Replace my busted magazines and include another new magazine at no charge for a total of 3
    - Depending on which kind of finish my barrel and action have, they will likely just strip it and powder coat it
    - Test fire and adjust as necessary
    - Ship back to me for free

The older style frame (mine is one of the first 40k made) is larger than the new ones so if there is anything wrong with it I will just get a brand new rifle that I'll have to pay FFL transfer fees on.

All in all a damn good fulfillment of a lifetime warranty.

BDWMS

Feb 21, 2013
    Howard County
    Good deal. I have no experience with those guns but sounds like the customer service can't be beat. And after twenty years? You gotta respect a company like that.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Yes, before the pistol grip split and the mags busted I found it to be pretty accurate at 100 yards and very accurate at 50 yards. The peep site was also very familiar to me having just left the .mil world. Looking forward to getting it back. The guy said expect about 5 weeks total turn time.

Welder84

Aug 16, 2016
    Central Maryland
    I had a very good experience with Hi-point. I had a 995 that was damaged due to faulty magazines. I shipped the rifle to them and they fixed it and shipped it back at no cost to me.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I actually prefer the plain-Jane 995 stock myself. Had a 995, had well over 3.5K rounds thru it - tack-driver. Only recall 3 malfunctions during my ownership of it. Wish I'd kept it.

For all the jokes and crap Hi-Point gets, one thing they have is great customer service.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Hi Point carbines are the most underrated carbine out there. Like Brad said, they get a lot of crap but you cant beat it for the price you pay.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    You can't go wrong with a 995. I had one before I got into the AR9 rifles. For the price point, it is a very good bargain. Years ago, I had a screw come out of the stock. No questions asked. It was fixed free of charge.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Just called Hi Point since I hadn't heard back from them on my rifle yet. Turns out they had a fire a couple weeks ago and their machine shop has been out of commission since. They just got power back today and have another machine shop they rented to do some work but about 90% of it is backlogged for the old shop to come back online.

Fortunately no one was hurt, no firearms were damaged and no equipment was damaged. Just fire and smoke damage to the adjoining offices that required the shop to be shut down.

Guy on the phone pointed me here:
    http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com...12/fire-damages-offices-gun-factory/90253460/

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom