Maryland Minimum Age For Supervised Children to Shoot?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SSDD

Dec 18, 2012
    Hanover, MD
    I saw this while looking at the news on CNN talking about Iowa changing the law to allow supervised children of any age to be able to shoot handguns. Previously it was only 14 years old and above, still with supervision.

I did some quick searching and came up empty handed. Does Maryland have a minimum supervised age for shooting handguns or long guns?

CNN - Supervised children in Iowa would be able to fire handguns under proposal

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    They last sentence of the article says
    "Federal law provides no minimum age requirement for the purchase and ownership of long guns, such as rifles and shotguns."

I think we all know thats not true.

BDWMS

Feb 21, 2013
    Howard County
    So Iowa kids don't hunt? I agree. This is a family decision. There's no reason for govt to be involved here. Of course, that hasn't stopped them before.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Shooting (supervised) There is no limit. As long the child know the safety and can handle/fire it safely.

16 to access without adult supervision.
    Unless the kid went through hunters Ed.

Maryland Criminal Law Code*§ 4-104*covers laws pertaining to children and their access to firearms. In this case, a child is defined as a person under 16 years of age. This code specifically prohibits an individual from leaving or storing a loaded firearm in a place where an unsupervised child could access the firearm. Exceptions include:

If the child is supervised by someone over the age of 18

If the child accessed the firearm after unlawful entry

If the firearm is possessed by a law enforcement officer engaged in official duties

If the child has a hunter and firearm safety certificate

According to part (d) of this code, the penalty for violation is a misdemeanor as well as a fine of up to $1,000.00 However, a violation may not be regarded as evidence of negligence

SSDD

Dec 18, 2012
    Hanover, MD
    Shooting (supervised) There is no limit. As long the child know the safety and can handle/fire it safely.

Thanks. My google'ing didn't result in anything, but based on my experience with Maryland firearm laws, I was surprised that Iowa would have something more restrictive than us. It peaked my interest as my oldest is about to turn 4 and seems to be almost ready to go out with dad and a bolt action 22.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Thanks. My google'ing didn't result in anything, but based on my experience with Maryland firearm laws, I was surprised that Iowa would have something more restrictive than us. It peaked my interest as my oldest is about to turn 4 and seems to be almost ready to go out with dad and a bolt action 22.
    Teach em young... ;)

Safety.. Safety.. Safety...

1)muzzle control
    2) not a toy

You got the idea... :)

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    no law, but most indoor ranges I've been to have age minimums. When I had young shooters visiting from oversees, we ended up going to Savage Park so they could shoot.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I saw this while looking at the news on CNN talking about Iowa changing the law to allow supervised children of any age to be able to shoot handguns. Previously it was only 14 years old and above, still with supervision.

I did some quick searching and came up empty handed. Does Maryland have a minimum supervised age for shooting handguns or long guns?

CNN - Supervised children in Iowa would be able to fire handguns under proposal

Attached is the statute,MD Code, Public Safety, § 5-133(d) as amended by SB281. That will answer your question. Basically, no person under the age of 21 may possess a handgun, subject to exceptions there listed, but there is no minimum age for purposes of applying the exceptions.

Attachments

• MD_PUBLIC_SAFETY_S_5-133.pdf
      28.4 KB · Views: 155
    Last edited:

SSDD

Dec 18, 2012
    Hanover, MD
    Attached is the statute,MD Code, Public Safety, § 5-133(d) as amended by SB281. That will answer your question. Basically, no person under the age of 21 may possess a handgun, subject to exceptions there listed, but there is no minimum age for purposes of applying the exceptions.

Thanks for the reply. If I am reading that correctly, the supervisor needs to be 21 years old (in addition to not being prohibited, etc). That is something interesting to note if correct.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Thanks for the reply. If I am reading that correctly, the supervisor needs to be 21 years old (in addition to not being prohibited, etc). That is something interesting to note if correct.

Absolutely! And the supervisor needs to be non-disqualified. Plus, need express parental or guardian approval (odd for a 18year old legal adult). Or be part of a course of instruction by a qualified (read certified NRA) instructor.

CurlyDave

May 29, 2015
    Oregon
    I fired my first 22LR at 3 years old. First shotgun at 7...16 gauge double barrel...yes, I accidentally fired both barrels at once and yes it hurt...

My granddaughter just fired her first .22 LR last week at the age of 3. My grandson was 4, but I did not find a suitable youth rifle until he was that age. He is now almost 5 and can put 10 out of 10 in a 5 inch group at 40 feet, even though the rifle is still much too large for him.

We thought she might be intimidated by shooting, but after watching her brother she was enthused.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    Depends on the child. My Oldest started at about 4 with 22 cal shooting balloons then paper. My youngest not till he was 6 again with 22 cal. I think each parent knows when their child is ready. We don't need another law telling parents when and when not your child is ready for any activity. Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom