• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BDWMS

Feb 21, 2013
    Howard County
    Husqvarna for me. I bought a refurbished Husky 435 from VMinnovations online a few years ago. Runs well and I've never had any issues with it. I use it every couple of weeks during the winter. For $170 it was a good deal with a 16" bar. I bought a refurbished Husky string trimmer too. I'm sold on the company's products. How much are you going to be cutting?

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    One thing nobody mentioned... the husky symbol is meant to represent rifle sights as a throwback to their gunmaking days.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Husky for me. I have a 562xp and switch back and forth between a 24" bar and a 18" bar depending on what im cutting. Had some massive red oak this year about 40" dia and the husky went through it like butter.

threegun

Jan 26, 2013
    Westminster
    Stihl, I had a Farm Boss 024 that I ran for 23 years, gave it to a friend, he rebuilt it and is still using it. I replaced it with a 290 I had extra 18" bar and chains from the MS024 that fit the MS290, the MS290 came with a 20" bar and I bought a 25" bar to handle a 44" thick white oak I had to take down. The saw starts every time and drives all the chains just fine.

TrappedinMD

Dec 15, 2011
    Western MD
    Stihl, husky, or echo are all great choices. I've felled more trees than most (Owned a landscaping company) and was a long time Stihl fan. About a month ago i was time for a new saw and after shopping those three really hard I gave the Echo a try. I got the CS590 (59cc) which had more power than the Stihl Farm boss (100$ more) and the Husky 455 (50$ more). It also comes with a MUCH longer warranty at 5 years. I have been felling, bucking and cutting mostly oak trees for firewood that are typically 24" diameter at the trunk and the ECHO has impressed me. I would recommend you purchase it from a dealer that will support you instead of a big box store.

_JT_

Jan 30, 2009
    Cecil County
    Stihl MS 290 here also, haven't ever had a problem with it other than wishing the chain would sharpen itself :)

Also have two MS180's, one inherited, one a gift. They're good for the small limb work. Again, starts every time, simple mechanics.

A buddy of mine just picked up a 461 Magnum on ebay, needed a few parts to get it running perfect. But holy sheet, he got it for less than a ms290, and this thing is a beast. Definitely going to keep an eye out for used ones going forward

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Definitely go used, especially older saws. They are usually still fetch a high value.

I bought a new BG86 blower from Stihl last year, and it has a Chinese zama carburetor on it. I'm going to guess they are using zama carburetor's on just about everything, I never looked on my older 211

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    Average homeowner, ryobi, poulan, etc are decent for the money. Bought a poulan after discovering that my husky walked away during our move up here. Decent enough for what I use it for. Jobsite we use stihls almost exclusively for cutting hdpe pipe and timber pilings.

remodeler1

Jul 23, 2013
    Frederick
    I've had 15 years of reliable service from my Stihl ms310. I know a few guys who cut trees for a living and their crews use Stihl too.

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    Stihl, husky, or echo are all great choices. I've felled more trees than most (Owned a landscaping company) and was a long time Stihl fan. About a month ago i was time for a new saw and after shopping those three really hard I gave the Echo a try. I got the CS590 (59cc) which had more power than the Stihl Farm boss (100$ more) and the Husky 455 (50$ more). It also comes with a MUCH longer warranty at 5 years. I have been felling, bucking and cutting mostly oak trees for firewood that are typically 24" diameter at the trunk and the ECHO has impressed me. I would recommend you purchase it from a dealer that will support you instead of a big box store.

Muffler mod and pull the limiter caps! Its like a completely different saw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom