Which range do you prefer in the Annapolis area?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    If you lived in the Annapolis area and had to pick between On Target, Select Fire, and Freestate, which would you prefer and why?

I have not been to any of the 3 and have been asked by somebody in the Annapolis area for a recommendation for a handgun range in that area.

ColonelHurtz

A pile of little arms.
    Nov 13, 2008
    Freestate is the best range out of those three but is nowhere near Annapolis.
    You'll be looking at On Target, which is a fine store and range in reasonable proximity.

Select Fire?

They can pretty much eat a bag of dead dog dicks and is to be avoided at all costs.

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    Freestate is great but kinda far from Annapolis. On Target is decent and probably closest to the city. Select Fire is terrible and nobody should ever go there. We have had whole threads discussing how bad Select Fire is.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    On Target is OK; 30 minutes.
    Free State is better, but it's an hour away.

Select Fire is about 30 minutes, but you should stop for donuts on the way up and you can;t get a decent cheese-steak nearby.

ihriec

Aug 10, 2013
    I work in Annapolis and prefer to go to MSAR over On Target even though it's a little farther - approximately 45 minutes from Naptown.

ihriec

Aug 10, 2013
    MSAR moved to a nice new facility last year- much better than the old place. You can shoot as long as you want for $20. Check it out.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie

Select Fire is about 30 minutes, but you should stop for donuts on the way up and you can;t get a decent cheese-steak nearby.

Incorrect. The cheesesteaks at Shuckers on B&A in GB are really good.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

An hour? So, you are the guy I keep getting stuck behind on 97!!

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    If they gave him free range time becuase he was black, I rather suspect he would not have any problem with it.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    If they gave him free range time becuase he was black, I rather suspect he would not have any problem with it.

That is exactly what I was going to come on here and say. I'm guessing he has a problem with affirmative action too since it discriminates against certain races and sexes and favors others. If he prevails on this lawsuit, maybe we should do away with affirmative action too.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I've always liked On Target - some people have suggested that the staff can be a bit pretentious, but I haven't really noticed it much, or at least not any more than any other employee who works in a gun store. There seems to be an idea that if you are on the employee side of the counter then you MUST know more about guns than anyone else, right? Never mind the fact that I got an OT employee who I had to show how to check that my 60s era Ruger Blackhawk was unloaded - they didn't seem to know how half-cocking to free the cylinder, but I digress.

I like OT - decent place. I did have one slight issue the last time I was there - I reload, and so I police up my brass, and at one point before I had the chance to ask the guy to stop, he shoved an entire mag's worth of my brass out into the no-man's land area, past the shooting line, which I wasn't exactly thrilled about. Having said that, after I politiely informed him that I reload and wanted to keep my brass, he relented but said that I at the least needed to keep the shooting area cleared for safety reasons, and that I can understand.

longgunnewb

Textbook Libertarian
    Feb 23, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I've always liked On Target - some people have suggested that the staff can be a bit pretentious, but I haven't really noticed it much, or at least not any more than any other employee who works in a gun store. There seems to be an idea that if you are on the employee side of the counter then you MUST know more about guns than anyone else, right? Never mind the fact that I got an OT employee who I had to show how to check that my 60s era Ruger Blackhawk was unloaded - they didn't seem to know how half-cocking to free the cylinder, but I digress.

I like OT - decent place. I did have one slight issue the last time I was there - I reload, and so I police up my brass, and at one point before I had the chance to ask the guy to stop, he shoved an entire mag's worth of my brass out into the no-man's land area, past the shooting line, which I wasn't exactly thrilled about. Having said that, after I politiely informed him that I reload and wanted to keep my brass, he relented but said that I at the least needed to keep the shooting area cleared for safety reasons, and that I can understand.

Can anyone explain the "cool down" period to an out-of-stater? My wife's uncle took me to On Target shortly after moving here. We walked in with our range bags with pistols stored away. They made him open up the bag and when they went to check the chamber they loaded a round from the magazine. The guy behind the counter shouted "Whoa!", set the pistol down and he backed away quickly. We were then informed that we couldn't shoot there for 24 hours in order to "cool down"

He asked to speak to management and they confirmed it was store policy. He tried to explain that the pistol wasn't loaded until THEY chambered it and his reply was "Well, it's our store and it is our policy".

I have never stepped foot back in there and I will never be a patron to a place like that.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Can anyone explain the "cool down" period to an out-of-stater? My wife's uncle took me to On Target shortly after moving here. We walked in with our range bags with pistols stored away. They made him open up the bag and when they went to check the chamber they loaded a round from the magazine. The guy behind the counter shouted "Whoa!", set the pistol down and he backed away quickly. We were then informed that we couldn't shoot there for 24 hours in order to "cool down"

He asked to speak to management and they confirmed it was store policy. He tried to explain that the pistol wasn't loaded until THEY chambered it and his reply was "Well, it's our store and it is our policy".

I have never stepped foot back in there and I will never be a patron to a place like that.

Are you saying they loaded a mag, inserted the mag and racked the slide?

If you had a loaded mag in the pistol when you came in the door, you had a "loaded gun". If you had a loaded mag in the pistol in the vehicle, you were in violation of not only range policy, but law as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom