Most reliable handgun right out the box?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I have HKs , Glocks, Sigs and Colt 1911s and others . My handgun that is always with in arms reach at home is my Ruger GP100 and a few speed loaders.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    For a semi-auto, I'd also have to go with HK - out of the box and running.

Zee Germans are good at building schit that just works.

Have had my USP since the early 2000's, have yet to have a malfunction of any kind with it. None of my other handguns can say that.

That's what I always said until about a year ago when my model 19 geeked out on me at the range one day. Something in the mechanism inside the side cover got out of whack. Now I just say "nothing is perfect"

Yeah, M-19s suck. I'd be glad to take it off your hands so it doesn't stink up your safe/sock drawer/whatever. ;) Seriously, though, did you ever get it fixed? If so, what was the issue?

As I was reading through this thread, I was thinking to myself that if I had to pick any one of my handguns as THE one to rely on, it would be my 19-4 Combat Magnum.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    @ Chad

I need to track you down sir about a pistol and reliability since we are on the subject!

What can I help out with?

Chad - if you don't mind, what type of issues have you seen SIGs exhibit that have you conclude that e HK will stomp them. I ask, not to challenge or pick a fight, but I've a early 90s 228 and have never had an issue. I recently added an HK P30 and I'm enjoying it too, but don't have near the rounds through it as the Sig.

Are there routine maintenance or other steps one can take to address the reliability issues in the sig?

---
    Shamr0ck

My comments are more in relation to current offerings. Glock has really screwed the pooch with their late model 3rd Gen and newer 4th Gen Variants. They just are not the gun they used to be.

SIG has followed the same path. They are expensive guns, now made in the U.S. with less Q.C. than before, and a higher price tag every year.

That's why (Bolded) you look at it the way you do. You have a German SIG. Besides the 2 Piece SLides needing New Pins they are SIG perfection. Replace the Recoil Springs and Slide Pins and that 228 will probably outlive you.

Gun Manufacturers are like any business. They do some things well (Certain Models), or have Outstanding Customer Service/Support, or rarely break, etc.... They also improve sometimes and fail at other times. A person has to ALWAYS keep their finger on the "pulse" of current production Firearms. A name does not always equal quality.

If you handed me a German 226 SIG, a Gen 1 or 2 Glock 17, and a USP I would have a hard time saying the HK is more reliable.

HK has been extremely consistent over the years making guns that don't skimp on Q.C. Their price reflects that but so does their reliability. Now if you need Customer Service or Parts, they drop the ball ALOT on that angle. HK's are usually laser beam accurate. The Tactical Models can rival the accuracy of a 4K 1911 and still remain reliable. Im an HK Owner as well but I have seen the parts issue and bad C.S. first hand.

SIG is very hit-miss on current Q.C. and the guns are still expensive. Current U.S. Built SIGs can sometimes need fluff and buff work they never needed in the past. I never used to see them for these kinds of issues. I wont own a new production SIG until I see things turn around.

Glocks C.S. has always been great in my experience but the guns, like SIG seem to have less Q.C. and use cheaper made parts then ones of old. They still haven't sorted out the Gen 4 issues despite what some Glock Fanboys proclaim (BTW, Im a glock owner too, but I can admit their shortcomings, I wont own a Gen 4, EVER)

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    H&K's USP platform and the very similar platforms used on the P30/HK45. Any gun can have issues out of the box, but H&Ks are incredibly consistent, incredibly durable, and incredibly reliable.

Glocks are often depicted as the toughest guns, and while they are most certainly tough as hell and reliable (gen 4 being a little iffy), the abuse the USP platform can withstand is almost beyond belief...for example, it can withstand certain things that many other firearms could not, such as firing through a squib round without any reliability loss and almost no accuracy loss... (see Mk 23 and USP "torture tests"). The current P30 has been stress-tested to 100k rounds with only one service interval which included a few springs being replaced (about $19 worth of parts and 15 minutes of DIY work), and people have taken USPs to over 100k with literally every original part including the original recoil springs. It is worth noting tho that for P30's with the heavier trigger configurations, weaker 115gr 9mm may not cycle all that well, at least initially.

So while there are a lot of very reliable guns, I personally vote H&K. I love my USPs.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I have all the parts for my sistema with the exception of the sights just need a time.

Also ran into a snag with a barrel hoping you can clarify.

Chasbo00

Jun 30, 2012
    Northern VA
    After ten years in the firearms industry, including jobs at two major prestigious gun manufacturers, I have come to a very simple conclusion: no one makes a gun that you can be certain will work. Bias and personal preferences aside, most of the major manufacturers are more or less equal nowadays in quality. It wasn’t always that way, but as price became an increasingly important factor in buying decisions of both individuals and government entities, everything changed.

http://pistol-training.com/articles/trust-no-one-an-insiders-perspective

baconsandwich

master of the obvious
    Apr 20, 2013
    Baltimore City
    Yeah, M-19s suck. I'd be glad to take it off your hands so it doesn't stink up your safe/sock drawer/whatever. ;) Seriously, though, did you ever get it fixed? If so, what was the issue?

I was actually able to fix it myself. I don't know the technical terms to describe it, but I popped the cover off (yes I knew not to pry it) and just looked in there. One little link of the mechanism that moves to turn the cylinder looked like it had popped out of position. I put it back where it looked like it belonged, reinstalled the cover, and it worked fine. No problems since!

FWIW there's only one way to get that M19 from me, ;) I love that thing!

straightsilver3

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 2, 2011
    everywhere
    I read an article years ago when the HK USP 45 was a new pistol on the block. It went up against SIG Glock 1911's and Ruger. The HK was the most Reliable pistol out of the box with all types of ammo The only complaint was the HK USP 45 was a large pistol for shooters with small hands

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I have all the parts for my sistema with the exception of the sights just need a time.

Also ran into a snag with a barrel hoping you can clarify.

Well have to hold off for a short time on the work. Scott has put a hold on taking anything in because things are so busy.

Before the cutoff my workload was significant. Im trying to put a dent in the rack of firearms.

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    Not putting them on the same level but I've never had a single issue with my sr1911's... Or my DW 44, but you can't pick one of those up just anywhere.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Well have to hold off for a short time on the work. Scott has put a hold on taking anything in because things are so busy.

Before the cutoff my workload was significant. Im trying to put a dent in the rack of firearms.

Is there somewhere I can send you a pic so that I could at least get some guidance?

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I read an article years ago when the HK USP 45 was a new pistol on the block. It went up against SIG Glock 1911's and Ruger. The HK was the most Reliable pistol out of the box with all types of ammo The only complaint was the HK USP 45 was a large pistol for shooters with small hands

The only thing I've ever seen that stopped a USP .45 was a split steel case (Wolf). I put the rear sight on the edge of my workbench and extracted it... no worries.

But it was STUCK... hand pressure would not remove it. No fault of the pistol's design at all.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom