• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • somoss

Silver Spring
    Feb 18, 2006
    Anyone aware of local dealers that sell finished receivers? I’m in Rockville and want to build a retro M16A1 build. Just got a kit and need the lower.
    Been away from guns for a few years so I feel like I need something different to start up.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Engage has them in stock. I believe I saw a complete Colt lower last time I was there so I think they'll get it for you.

I don't know where they source the Engage lowers but the fit and finish is good. I have a couple of them and they assembled with no issues.

somoss

Silver Spring
    Feb 18, 2006
    I’ll check out those dealers, any recommended specific for the receivers to be aware of?
    The upper is a parts kit but doesn’t include a barrel.
    I’ve been out of the gun game for a while; I’ll have to read up on the regs for what I can make.

So far: I have to use an HBAR, and not an A1 profile.
    Forgot about that.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I’ll check out those dealers, any recommended specific for the receivers to be aware of?
    The upper is a parts kit but doesn’t include a barrel.
    I’ve been out of the gun game for a while; I’ll have to read up on the regs for what I can make.

So far: I have to use an HBAR, and not an A1 profile.
    Forgot about that.

Engage has HBAR barrels as well. They are even marked HB.

http://shop.engagearmament.com/barrels/barrel-3628/16-223-wylde-md-compliant-1936069

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Engage has really nice lowers, to include the finish. That being said the finish will need to be redone if matching it up to a parks kit, otherwise you’ll end up with two completely different looks.

Also the engage lower i have has a more flared magwell vs an original colt lower. Nice feature but looks bad on a retro build.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I recently put an M16A1 parts kit together but I have all the tools to assemble the lower and upper.
    Assembling the lower is the easier part, putting on a barrel into the upper is harder and requires tools and knowledge (or fair amount of reading).
    If you are looking for someone to do the assembly and do it right, you need a 20" hbar and either the FSB (tall version sight for the carrier handle rear sight) installed or the right diameter gas block for what came with your kit and the gunsmith to drill and pin it.

Since I have the tools to install a barrel, I got a barrel with FSB installed from JSE surplus and put it onto the upper then used most of the lower parts after cleaning them up. The parts they send need to be cleaned up before use.

If you don't have the tools or time, you will want to bring in the kit to have someone give you a quote. It may be as much labor as parts to do the work.

f97a8183be0fa54fd35364ce72c9c2a1.jpg

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    I recently put an M16A1 parts kit together but I have all the tools to assemble the lower and upper.
    Assembling the lower is the easier part, putting on a barrel into the upper is harder and requires tools and knowledge (or fair amount of reading).
    If you are looking for someone to do the assembly and do it right, you need a 20" hbar and either the FSB (tall version sight for the carrier handle rear sight) installed or the right diameter gas block for what came with your kit and the gunsmith to drill and pin it.

Since I have the tools to install a barrel, I got a barrel with FSB installed from JSE surplus and put it onto the upper then used most of the lower parts after cleaning them up. The parts they send need to be cleaned up before use.

If you don't have the tools or time, you will want to bring in the kit to have someone give you a quote. It may be as much labor as parts to do the work.

f97a8183be0fa54fd35364ce72c9c2a1.jpg

Looks good I still need to get the old rear but stock

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom