First Expert Class scores! (XTC reduced)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    Hello again,

It's been a while since I started a high power thread, having won first marksman at the DE state championships with a 710-11X (88.75%) on 9/11 following a disastrous 623-3X in the MD state championships. I followed that up with a 418-3X in the 50-shot EIC match on 9/12 (forgot to put on my elevation for 300 yd rapid)

Well on 9/26, I went and shot the reduced course league match with the Monumental team at the AGC. I ended up shooting 406-2X (81.2%) in the 50-shot match. Yikes! My offhand was terrible, my slow prone regressed. Rapids weren't great either.

I decided to chalk that up to a bad day and not let thoughts of my 710-11X being a fluke enter my head. So I went back to Bridgeville on 10/2 and shot 700-7X. Last month's scores weren't a fluke! My confidence was boosted. While I lost 21 points in slow fire from last month (damn offhand miss--I pulled a little too hard on the trigger when I took in the slack on the first stage), I found 11 in rapid fire shooting personal best 188-5x and 189-1X in sitting and prone.

So with my mental batteries recharged I went and shot Sunday's league match. It's done in a team format, so we shot in pairs (coaching allowed).

In offhand I opened up with an 88-2X (88%) a personal best. I only shot two 7's. My biggest error: I made the same error as in my last match, but instead of missing, I shot an 8 at 12 o'clock. I figured if that was the worst mistake I had made, I could live with it. I mentally brushed myself off to complete the string and ended with the last shot an X -- a good finish.

My slow prone was pretty decent for me: 171-2X. In the end I shot 446-6X (89.2%). In the NRA classification system, Expert-class shooters range from 89-93.99%.

While I still hold temporary Marksman classification (my current scorebook running average is still ~82%), I have posted enough scores to have earned both Marksman and Sharpshooter cards, once the NRA catches up on their backlog. Now that I have shot in the expert range, I have every confidence I can make expert, and hopefully master next year.

I'm pretty pleased with my progress so far: going from 366-0X in the first AGC Spring League match to 446-6X in the last Fall League match. And the year's not done: Meade 10/17 and Bridgeville 11/6-7 await!

jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    I slept through it. I was feeling worn out and had homework to do.

I should add that this was a 600 yard prone match, which is not my strength so my results would not have been spectacular. My prone scores vary from 152-175 /200 of late. I shoot 200 yard offhand more consistently than I shoot prone.

An interesting comparison:
    In three position highpower (XTC) the lower classfications are sharpshooter 84-88.99%, expert 89-93.99%, and master 94-96.99%. I currently hold a marksman card (<84%), am awaiting a reclass to sharpshooter (I've earned it), and am chasing expert but won't get enough matches in before mid-spring.

Prone only highpower (300-600yd midrange) requires a 92% to classify as sharpshooter. I feel a long way off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom